Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakeboarder78)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-13-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
Does anyone know if the Centurion Avalanche C4 is any good? Thanks!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-13-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
What year? The hull is one of if not the best wakesurf hull around. I have heard the wakeboard wake is a little finicky with side to side weight but will produce a pretty decent wakeboard wake. They ride really good in rough water because of the deep V. They are fairly simple so replacing switches or gauges is going to be inexpensive. That would be a tough call for me compared to the X1. The X1 is a pure/core wakeboarding boat but the Avalanche will have a lot more room, storage and have a better rough water ride and surf wake.
Old     (wakeboarder78)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-13-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
I am looking at a 2004 and 2005. Thanks for replying
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-13-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
The 04 and 05 are probably identical. I am not sure if they changed anything from 04 to 05. The hull hasn't changed at all so you don't have to worry about that part.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-13-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
I have an 08 Avy and I love it.

I agree with everything Brett said. One of the best surf wakes on the market - easy to set up and steep/long wave. The wakeboard wake is very good, but it is a little sensitive to weight (port side can wash out a little). Once you get it figured out (I generally need more weight on port side and +/- 23mph) it is a large/melo wake(not as steep a wake for example a a SAN). At the end of the day, way more wake than I need. The other thing I want to emphasize is the ride. The deep V hull really cuts through the water. Guys that get on it that own other boats (San, Bu, ect) always comment on how smooth it is (even in the chop). One other thing, it has a ton of space/room for 22ft boat. If you take out the factory hard tanks and put in sacs it just make it that much better.

As always, Test Drive/Test Drive/Test Drive. But for the money, I personally think it is one of the best boats on the market.

Post on CenturionCrew.Com as well. I believe Carter13 has an 05 Avy that he wakeboards on. A lot of good guys who know alot about Centurion boats.

Good Luck!

(Message edited by lakesurfer on November 13, 2009)
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-13-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
Agreed with Lakesurfer.

Surf wake = great

Wakeboard wake = can be sensitive but not unmanageable.

Great deep V and tons of storage.

Check out centurioncrew.com for details.

T
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-13-2009, 4:51 PM Reply   
I've got an 05 C4. Pros and cons are stated correctly above. Mine is weighted for Wakeboarding (2,500 lbs or so) and I will be happy to take you out for a ride if you are local (Cali-Delta). Been very happy with the boat once I got the weight set up right.
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-13-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
Lakesurfer is spot on with the details.
I have a C4 which is a non walk through and allows for a larger bag on the starboard side for surfing goofy.
The Storm II-III series has center and side ballast.
The scorpion 330 has plenty of power and the pro flight towers are solid.
I don't have sideswipe but everything I hear is most people don't care for it due to the noise level.
Feel free to post questions on CenturionCrew.Com.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-13-2009, 7:24 PM Reply   
05'+ boats if not mistaken got a different drive ratio. Hull is the exact same since 02'. Everyone has given the pros and cons correctly.
The boat probably has the 350 mag so if you test drive and holeshot is lacking then a simple reprop will fix it.
Old     (puamana)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-13-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
Robert,

I know where there are some brand new 2009 Avy's sitting in a warehouse for 36K if you're interested.
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-13-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
Watch out for the newer Centurions with the Evolution towers. There have been four guys on CenturionCrew.com that have had them crack. The company has gone out of business and Fineline is saying that it is not covered under warranty.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-14-2009, 6:09 AM Reply   
I believe that Metcraft is the company that went out of business. In addition to building Centurion towers, they also built Malibu's towers. Carter is correct, Evolution towers have had some problems with cracking, but I dont think is a huge issue. At least I hope not, I have an Evolution tower.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-14-2009, 6:32 AM Reply   
36 k I am interested great boat but hate sideswipe too loud but get why you need it the wake is closer to a San wake and can be big. Ride is real smooth
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-14-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
Those stupid cheap Kal Kustom boats are sometimes not covered under warranty by dealers. Buyer beware! Ask your local dealer first if they will work on it.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-14-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
It is good advice no matter the brand if you are looking at buying a dealer repo boat to make sure that the Manufacturer and the local dealer will honor the warranty. Many of these boat have been setting out in the weather for years and have been trashed. Plus many manufacturer suppliers have gone out of business making the warranty a problem
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-14-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
I have a 2003, look at the interior, mine had to be replaced. If you are going to surf a ton, don't get the 315hp motor. It's just not enough. I have to run a super extreme prop. Also in those years the ballast inlets are below the swim step. This means no filling when making more than a wake. Other than that it's a great boat! You will be happy.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-14-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
I am lucky that I have a great dealer in Fun-N-Sun locally that takes care of me.

However, any MerCruiser certified mechanic can do warranty work on the engine and the mechanic gets the parts direct from MerCruiser. Which for me was the warranty I cared the most about. In today's current boating environment, I dont know how much you can count on each of the OEM's staying in business.

Reality is that you are seeing some of these issues being taken into account in the boat price. Personally, Fineline has been great to work with.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-14-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Also, ask your local dealer if they have access to the Repo boats. It appears to me that all of the dealers on the West Coast are advertising the same boats for sale. Now that Kal Customs is no longer in the picture, I would think that FineLine may work with any dealer to get these boats moved.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-14-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
I would agree that the engine warranty would be VERY important...I just think people should be very careful with REPO boats
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-14-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
Metcraft is/was responsible for the warranty. They also own all of the castings for the towers
Centurion/Malibu/Tige has no way to manufacture those towers or parts for the towers.

Centurion Skier had a great point on CenturionCrew

" Maybe if all of the owners that have had an Evolution fail should get together and go after XTP as they bought the company and own the castings and plans. They should be able to produce them and maybe do some kind of beefing up to strengthen them."
Old     (puamana)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-15-2009, 6:25 AM Reply   
From what I know, I don't believe that Fineline will work with any dealers and they all carry complete warranties! Keep in mind that the boats are not repo boats, but excess inventory boats. Most of the boats have already been shipped to Oregon and Washington.

(Message edited by puamana on November 15, 2009)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-15-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
I have no idea what you are trying to say
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-15-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
I think this is what Sanford was responding to (I think):

"I don't believe that Fineline will work with any dealers" -> "Also, ask your local dealer if they have access to the Repo boats. It appears to me that all of the dealers on the West Coast are advertising the same boats for sale. Now that Kal Customs is no longer in the picture, I would think that FineLine may work with any dealer to get these boats moved.

"they all carry complete warranties! Keep in mind that the boats are not repo boats, but excess inventory boats. Most of the boats have already been shipped to Oregon and Washington." -> "I know where there are some brand new 2009 Avy's sitting in a warehouse for 36K if you're interested."

(Message edited by lakesurfer on November 15, 2009)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-15-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
I am still unclear what he is saying.
If he is saying Fineline will not cover any of these boats under warranty. That is simply untrue.
If he is saying that you should go through a Centurion dealer or one that Fineline will work with then sure that is true.

Be careful when buying any repo boats or excess inventory that Kal Kustom has taken back from dealers you need to inspect the boat and talk to Centurion and the dealer that you want to be your warranty dealer. I would also apply this to any Manufacturer!
Old     (puamana)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-15-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
What I was trying to say is that I believe that Fineline is still going to stay within their existing dealer network and that I've seen some of the boats that have been shipped to Oregon already.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-15-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
I should have said "ask your local Centurion Dealer". I was not trying to imply that you should ask any dealer. Sorry for the confusion.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-15-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
No Problem It absolutely makes sense for Centurion to want to use there dealer network after all in the long good loyal dealer are what help make a Manufacturer successful