Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-16-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
Hey guys -- I need help as this is one of the few things on the boat I haven't replaced/repaired. My steering has always been stiff, but lately it feels like there is something directly behind the steering wheel that shifts or turns before the rudder moves. Like.... the steering wheel will be stuck, I'll turn it, hear something in the dash go full-lock, and once that "thing" hits full-lock the rudder will turn. If I turn back the other direction, the "thing" slips again, hits full-lock and then turns the rudder.

I dont know what the box on the backside of the steering wheel is or how I prevent it from slipping? Any thoughts? Can this be lubricated?

Thanks
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-21-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
sounds like your steering cable is toast and may be ruining your helm from the excessive force needed to steer the boat with a bad cable...try replacing your steering cable...they go bad and become very hard to steer and can break.
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
Already ordered a new cable and helm from the good guys at skidim.... should be here today!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-22-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
yes thats a good idea to do the helm too...it will steer like new.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-22-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
How much did that run?
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-25-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
about $165 shipped. I need to cut a larger hole in the dash and it was a serious pain to get underneath the gas tank to where the cable attaches to the rudder..... but overall, not that tough of a job.

Make sure you tape a rope on the end of the original cable.... this will make it WAAAAY easier to reinstall the new cable. I'm not sure it would be possible without doing this.

I also think I'd pull the gas tank and my sub box out (4x12" under rear seat) if I was going to do this again. Reaching my arms underneath it all to get to the rudder connections was horrible.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-25-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
its all over now and you have brand new steering...how is it?
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-25-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
Not quite done, yet.... My cordless drill conked out trying to drill a larger hole in the dash. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-28-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
wotan, I did this replacement steering system from ski-dim on my 86 sunsport. It's cheap and it feel's like I have power steering, one of the best upgrade's I've done!!!!
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-29-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
Got it all buttoned back up... makes a world of difference, but it's still not 1-finger steering. Not nearly as smooth as my buddies 97 Malibu Response -- I attribute that to the longer cable?
Old     (knsorensen)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-02-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
We need help. We have an OMC engine (Skipjack boat) and our steering cable has come off. It was hard of steering but steerable but the last trip did it in. My dad was jerking pretty hard on the wheel trying to get it to start steering again when he lost complete steering. My brother tried rewinding the two cables but one of the cables is about 3 inches longer than the other and no matter how he rewinds them one is always too long. When playing around with it we can turn the stern left and right. We are going on vacation tomorrow and if anyone has any information we would all greatly appreciate
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-02-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
im not familiar with that boat but yikes sounds like your cable broke, i think that may put a damper on things better get it fixed. sounds like you have a dual cable set up? but im not sure what a skipjack is so i can't help much but when boat steering cables are worn out they steer very hard and it is dangerous since they can break from cranking on them...don't take any chances. make sure its OK and working right before you take it out or you won't have much fun.