Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-11-2021, 3:38 PM Reply   
Thinking about hanging up the spatula in the next few years. Daydreaming about what retirement might look like.

One idea is to buy a sailboat and sail the Caribbean or perhaps the world, if that's what calls my name.

If that's the path, the ultimate goal would be something like a Privilege 585 catamaran.
But, I'm thinking that I would need to start smaller and learn the ropes. It would be primarily just me and my girlfriend doing the sailing.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good 40 footer of so to really learn to sail with just the two of us?

Thanks
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-11-2021, 5:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ord27 View Post
Thinking about hanging up the spatula in the next few years. Daydreaming about what retirement might look like.

One idea is to buy a sailboat and sail the Caribbean or perhaps the world, if that's what calls my name.

If that's the path, the ultimate goal would be something like a Privilege 585 catamaran.
But, I'm thinking that I would need to start smaller and learn the ropes. It would be primarily just me and my girlfriend doing the sailing.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good 40 footer of so to really learn to sail with just the two of us?

Thanks
I havnt been for a few years but...Its tough to beat the BVI. You need just enough experience to make it thru the initial shake down and then youre on your own. A 40' cat is pretty big for 2.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-12-2021, 7:32 AM Reply   
I would learn on a mono. Cats should come easy after that.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-12-2021, 8:14 AM Reply   
I've sailed 16' cats and small sunfish boats. So, I'm not a complete novice....but close

If Biden gets his way, and taxes unrealized gains, I will need to push out retirement a few more years

ugh

Last edited by ord27; 02-12-2021 at 8:18 AM.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-12-2021, 8:23 AM Reply   
That won't happen. It would kill investment.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-12-2021, 8:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ord27 View Post
I've sailed 16' cats and small sunfish boats. So, I'm not a complete novice....but close

If Biden gets his way, and taxes unrealized gains, I will need to push out retirement a few more years

ugh
On our first trip, our "captain" had only ever sailed a 15 ft Hobie as a teenager. I still cant believe they let us take their $million+ cat, the rest of our crew had never sailed before. Agree with P, a mono hull a good choice for 2. It will be a great adventure.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-12-2021, 8:50 AM Reply   
I meant get licensed on a mono then buy a cat. Tons more room, faster, easier to sale etc..

This is what you should get. It will basically sail itself. Make sure to get the water maker option.

https://www.cata-lagoon.com/en/seventy-7#gallery
Old     (DeltaHoosier)      Join Date: Mar 2018       02-12-2021, 8:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
I meant get licensed on a mono then buy a cat. Tons more room, faster, easier to sale etc..

This is what you should get. It will basically sail itself. Make sure to get the water maker option.

https://www.cata-lagoon.com/en/seventy-7#gallery
Man, I felt an immediate sense of relaxation just looking at those pictures.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-12-2021, 9:28 AM Reply   
wow. That's nice

thanks for the responses guys. Fun to dream a bit
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-12-2021, 10:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaHoosier View Post
Man, I felt an immediate sense of relaxation just looking at those pictures.
Right! did you see the one with the small plane on the swim platform? Goals.....
Old     (DeltaHoosier)      Join Date: Mar 2018       02-17-2021, 12:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
Right! did you see the one with the small plane on the swim platform? Goals.....
Not sure I did. I need to rob a bank or three for that kind of stuff or become a Nigerian and get some crazy cat people to send me money. Pretty cool that people can make stuff like that and that there are places to see like that on earth.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-25-2021, 7:43 PM Reply   
https://privilegecatamaransamerica.com/#Models
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-03-2021, 4:02 PM Reply   
Get a Gunboat or Outreamer LOL LOL

On a serious note. great You Tube Channel where a former Leopard Owner who sailed around the word on the Leopard, Sells/trades in his Big comfortable slower lower performance cat for a Outreamer, It was cool to hear the pros and cons of how one works/performs, I have also heard seasoned sailors talk on you tube about "buying a boat for what you expect to become"

example you buy a starter boat, 2 years in your WAY over it and you already need a bigger more advanced boat. They were saying in some cases nothing wrong with buying a boat that's more advanced then your Current skills and you can quickly become a advanced captain. Most people were saying its more about knowing WHEN to sail and when NOT to sail, reading weather was more important then sailing itself
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-17-2021, 10:37 AM Reply   
Are you turkeys going to come and get your cup at some stage?