Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-06-2017, 12:25 PM Reply   
I normally ride in a fairly shallow lake( about 8-10 ft) and currently have a Malibu MXZ and the wake is still good. I I know Malibus have a flatter hull so I am assuming this would be beneficial in a shallow lake? I am considering a new boat and looking at all options and am just wondering if a deeper V hull would cause more issues with wake consistency? With the increasing prices of boats MB's have been catching my eye lately. Any thoughts are appreciated
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-06-2017, 3:55 PM Reply   
Can't hurt, but with only that much depth, creating a good surf wake will be next to impossible.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-06-2017, 4:12 PM Reply   
I feel the lake depth is going to impact any boats surf wave, regardless of it being billed as deep-v or not. Wake board wake likely not impacted as much by the depth.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-06-2017, 4:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
I feel the lake depth is going to impact any boats surf wave, regardless of it being billed as deep-v or not. Wake board wake likely not impacted as much by the depth.

Agreed. If it were me, I'd find another lake to surf on. We have a man-made lake about that deep near me, and it's all chop, all of the time and blows for surfing because it's too shallow. As a consequence, I have never even bothered to take my boat on it.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-09-2017, 1:39 PM Reply   
A deep V wakeboat or a flat skiboat have only a few inches difference in draft. Wake generation sill affect water 12' down so it does not really matter what the hull shape is as the shallow bottom will have immensely more affect then the hull shape.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-09-2017, 2:18 PM Reply   
yep. there's a point that comes out in one of our lines. 7 to 8 feet deep, about 200 yards from shore. In a flat Nautique or my Sanger with V, wave goes to chit no matter what.

wake should be a less finicky
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-09-2017, 6:10 PM Reply   
10+ feet for wakeboarding and 15+ for surfing is what I have gathered based on my non scientific experience.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-10-2017, 6:53 AM Reply   
Depth makes a difference.

I notice a difference from the 15-20 foot side of our lake to the 80 foot one. Wake is more dense in the deep side (and that is wake-boarding)

Last edited by simplej; 11-10-2017 at 6:56 AM.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-10-2017, 7:04 AM Reply   
I know even a couple feet can make a significant difference. I ride on a lake in central Iowa and you can definitely notice where the lake goes from 12 ft to 8ft back to 12ft. Just dont plan on throwing inverts when your coming up to the 8 ft I know this from personal experience!
Old     (edgeski1)      Join Date: Jan 2013 Location: Portage, Mi       11-14-2017, 6:55 AM Reply   
I'll forever be defending this, and there are enough naysayers, but, we are on a 5' deep lake here in SW Michigan.
MB's surf it, consistently.

They are absolutely better in deeper water, but it can easily be done
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       11-14-2017, 7:51 AM Reply   
Yes you can surf. I also have done it. Once you have the 20’ water though, you are ruined forever 🤣
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-14-2017, 8:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeski1 View Post
I'll forever be defending this, and there are enough naysayers, but, we are on a 5' deep lake here in SW Michigan.

MB's surf it, consistently.

They are absolutely better in deeper water, but it can easily be done

I'm sure it makes a wave, but I can bet it is pretty awful, compared to the same setup in 15' of water.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-14-2017, 8:33 AM Reply   
just need more weight
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       11-14-2017, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
just need more weight

More weight makes the lake deeper?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-14-2017, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
More weight makes the lake deeper?
haha!! no.

you need more weight to create an equal sized wake in a shallow lake.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       11-14-2017, 10:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
haha!! no.

you need more weight to create an equal sized wake in a shallow lake.

I know silly. I was being facetious. To a point, true. But when the pressure wave hits the bottom and scatters laterally, you’re hosed no matter what weight you have.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-14-2017, 11:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
I know silly. I was being facetious. To a point, true. But when the pressure wave hits the bottom and scatters laterally, you’re hosed no matter what weight you have.

Exactly this.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-14-2017, 1:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
Exactly this.
Ok! Interesting concept you have there.
Old     (Paulvette01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       11-15-2017, 12:52 AM Reply   
My local lake is only 6 to 8ft deep and I've just committed to a new boat after spending over a year researching, testing and debating the choice after narrowing it down to a G23 and 22MXZ. I tested both in deep water and shallow water and although price is a factor its not the determining factor (I was willing to stretch to whatever boat does the job best for me in shallow water).

I have gone for a 2018 Malibu 22 MXZ with power wedge because although nothing performs in shallow water as good as it does in deep water (at the moment), the Malibu is tuneable due to power wedge. Tabs that push down won't help in shallow water. My friend had an Axis A20 on our lake with manual wedge and tabs, I'm 220lbs 6'2" tall and ride a 4'7" board and that boat works in shallow water. I have tested the 2017 22MXZ in 8ft water and the wave is huge and easily rideable for my size and weight even on a shortboard, I used a skimboard that day to no problem...

I thought getting a new boat was a big commitment so went overboard on the testing, I think whatever you decide on try and test it in your own water depth.
Old     (ybarbo17)      Join Date: Aug 2017       12-18-2017, 12:03 AM Reply   
do you have any pictures? im in about the same situation thinking a SG would be better then tabs for a shallow lake
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-18-2017, 8:13 AM Reply   
Deep Vs are way overrated IMO. I'm speaking from the wakeboard side, but it seems that it would translate to surf. Deep Vs typically equal tall, but thinner wakes. I prefer a steep keel-drop, and a larger overall foot print. Something big thick and dense. For surfing, think larger period swell vs height.

No doubt a deep V cuts through chop better, but I do my best to avoid chop.
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-18-2017, 6:33 PM Reply   
I’ve heard very good things about Tige z3s with AVX in shallow water. Way better than anything else, even taps 3. Is I