Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-14-2020, 6:19 AM Reply   
Background:
I'm a 39 year old advanced wakeboarder and I am on my 27th season wake boarding. I tore my ACL and had it repaired in Sept. I've had the ONE for a few months, but only been able to put it through its paces recently (full line and speed). I like fast boards. The older I get, the faster I like my boards. The last time I rode a three-stage was a Ronix ONE in 2012. Since then I have ridden the William/Bill Shape and then the Happy Hour. I got a few rides on the RXT last year and really liked it, but those are hard to come by and they are not cheap.

Review:
First, this isn't your older-brother's ONE. Everything I didn't like about the early ONE shapes has evolved out. This board has a firm edge all the way around and the late rocker kick has really mellowed out. On previous ONE models I really felt like I had to get on my back foot to get any speed under the board and even then, the most minor hesitation edging bled off speed fast. You had to have a driving consistent edge or the board just didn't work well.

The 2020 Timebomb is fast. It moves across the water as fast as any continuous board I have been on. It is light too. I have the Timebomb with the Carberex ONE boots (totally worth the extra $100, but that is another review). My buddy has the lightest set-up on the market: RXT board and boots. His board is lighter, but by a lot less than I would ever have imagined. Performance wise, it does the job and doesn't make a fuss. I made no adjustments to my riding. I hopped on the board and went to work. In my opinion, the right board for you shouldn't take much if any getting used to. I did switch out the Asymetrical fins for some Hyperlite P-wing fins, but I have never really been a fan of the fat molded style fins.

The performance stand out on this board happens on the toe side. I've been riding super full tip and tail shapes for a long time. The ONE has a little more taper than the Bill/William/Happy-Hour/RXT and every ride I feel like I am taking advantage of it more and more. The additional taper really allows you do develop a lot of angle at the wake toe side without getting into a weird body position. I am getting better pop with less effort and less tension--That frees me up to do more in the air.

It is a very playful board. The flat belly makes for a very forgiving ride, but the channeling through the tip and tail drives through the wake really well. The center of the board is completely flat, but the landings aren't noticeably hard even in the flats. I could easily ride the 142 or 138, but I went with the 142. The increased size and the mellower 3stage rocker keeps the board gliding even out of bigger landings. As I said earlier, this board is super light. If you have a question on your size, definitely go up.

In conclusion, I've always said that the ONE board is for a certain type of rider. Usually, someone that is more advanced, hits the wake hard and doesn't mind a little more drag if it yields extra pop. The latest ONE revision is a lot easier to ride and I would recommend it to anyone looking for top-end tech, but still wants something friendly to ride. Beginner or Advanced I'd say this board is worth a test ride.

5-9 170lbs
2020 142 ONE Timebomb (23.5" Stance, All the way in)
Carberex ONE Boots
23 MXZ Stock Plus 750 PNP in the back compartments (Wedge 3 or 4 depending on people and mood)
75ft
22.5ish
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       04-15-2020, 4:05 AM Reply   
Thanks for the review. I have been wanting change up my board and try something different but have been riding the Hyperlite Tribute for over a decade. I rode different friends boards randomly over several years and have not found anything I like as much as the Tribute but would like something lighter.
Old     (Speedmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2019       04-15-2020, 9:03 AM Reply   
Nice review, really anxious to hear your review of the ONE boots, that price is steep, but they look unreal! Curious why you think they are definitely worth the extra $100.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-16-2020, 6:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedmaster View Post
Nice review, really anxious to hear your review of the ONE boots, that price is steep, but they look unreal! Curious why you think they are definitely worth the extra $100.
Yeah, they are already expensive. Full disclosure, I've had a relationship with Ronix for a long time--Nothing official (I tell people I am a D-Team rider). I just ride around on demo gear. That said, I genuinely love their boots, I'll take any model of ronix boots over the best boots in any other brand. I thought I was getting the normal ONE Boots, but they sent me Carberex Boots.

I was a late adopter to the snowboard style boots in the mid 2000s. I literally built my own boots until Ronix redesigned their boots in 2009. I liked the old foot crusher rubber boots because I felt like I was super bonded to the board, but still had a lot of ankle movement. For the past few seasons I have wondered between they Parks boots and the One boots--Honestly, even though the ONE boots were a little stiffer, once they were broke in they felt about the same and beggars can't be choosers. The Carberex ONEs really lock you down to the board. The response is notably different than my 2019 ONE boots. My foot is so attached that I can keep the top laces a little loser than usual. My feet aren't crunched, but well fitted like a really good snow-ski boot. It really makes it feel like you are part of the board. They are just as light if not maybe a little lighter than the reg ONE boots. Heck, If I was choosing between an extra $100 on the board for Timebomb vs ATR or $100 for the ONEs vs Carberex, I'd spend the money on the fancy boots.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-16-2020, 10:59 AM Reply   
Loved your review. I've been riding for 5-6 years on a 209 Ronix One and just updated with a 2018 Time Bomb. Not sure what, if any, differences between 2018 & 2020, but the 2018 Time Bomb is VASTLY different than my 2009. Can't wait to get out and rip on it. Thanks for multiplying my stoke.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       04-18-2020, 8:25 AM Reply   
I’m so close to pulling the trigger on a new One. Thanks for the review. Exactly what I was hoping the new design would be. Do you have an opinion between the Timebomb and the regular fused core model. Is the weight that much different? Is the difference in performance noticeable.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-20-2020, 3:19 AM Reply   
The ATR boards are great. I haven't ridden the 2020 ATR, but they are not base entry-level construction boards. They share a lot of tech with the Timebomb. The key difference is the PVC foam. It makes the board a little lighter and a little stiffer. Your average rider will be able to tell the weight difference and it is nice, but to really get the performance of the Timebomb over the ATR, you have to be able to hit the wake hard enough that the ATR bends a little and the Timebomb resists. Advanced riders will get the most benefit from the Timebomb.

They are both high-end boards and both are pretty light. I think the pricing is dead-on. For me, the Timebomb is definitely worth the extra $100 or so bucks--You kinda have to make the call for yourself. The Average rider won't see much difference in performance where the rubber hits the road.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-20-2020, 4:28 AM Reply   
Awesome review, thanks! I know the RXT is expensive, but do you have any further thoughts on the shape and riding feel vs the one. I was hoping to be demoing both boards around now, but obviously thats on hold.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-20-2020, 5:19 AM Reply   
Great review, thanks! It's SOOO hard to find good reviews for wakeboards and bindings, but you have nailed it!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-21-2020, 4:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_wi View Post
Awesome review, thanks! I know the RXT is expensive, but do you have any further thoughts on the shape and riding feel vs the one. I was hoping to be demoing both boards around now, but obviously thats on hold.
Tough one. One hand, I don't think you could go wrong either way, but that said last year most of the Ronix team was riding the RXT and the redesigned of the ONE moved it a lot closer to the RXT. It is a really good shape and the construction is feather light.

RXT
-A little lighter (Black Out Construction)
-A little faster (Continuous Rocker)
-More Drive up the wake (Channels in the belly)
-Slower edge to edge, but maybe a little more stable (wider tip and tail)
-More drive Heelside (straighter rails)
-Harder to get on edge toe-side, wants to ride flatter (Straighter rails)

ONE
-A little Stiffer, More poppy (Timebomb Construction)
-A little slower, But generates more leverage (Mellow-ish 3 stage)
-Less Drive up the wake, but more forgiving (Feature free belly)
-Faster edge to edge (More taper through the tip and tail)
-Develops a steeper angle toeside with out adjusting body position as much. (More tapper)

I'll try to get my buddy to do a proper RXT review. He is an expert rider (3rd in Masters at worlds) and he thinks the RXT is God's gift to wake boarding. Personally, I really like both. I could hop one to the next and tell the difference, but not really have to changing my riding (I can't say that about many boards). If I had to split hairs, I guess I like the RXT better on my heels and the ONE better on my toes. Weird, I know.
Old     (ILikebooty)      Join Date: Mar 2015       04-22-2020, 6:26 PM Reply   
Well I've narrowed it down to the RXT and Timebomb. Coming off a LF Remedy. Which one has more straight up pop?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-24-2020, 2:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikebooty View Post
Well I've narrowed it down to the RXT and Timebomb. Coming off a LF Remedy. Which one has more straight up pop?
Timebomb.
Old     (phil06140)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-11-2020, 11:16 AM Reply   
skiboarder,
I posted this question in a thread I started, but have you ridden the Ronix Supreme ATR?
Would love to read a detailed review about that board.

Enjoyed reading your thoughts on the boards!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-13-2020, 4:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil06140 View Post
skiboarder,
I posted this question in a thread I started, but have you ridden the Ronix Supreme ATR?
Would love to read a detailed review about that board.

Enjoyed reading your thoughts on the boards!
I'll ask the rep if I can borrow one. I would really like to test one. It is a sharp looking board, but it has a few features that I would like to try and couldn't tell you what they will do.
Old     (mikeab8)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-21-2020, 3:18 AM Reply   
Also really curious about the supreme! Especially seeing how good your board reviews are!

I've been riding One Timebombs since 2012, and swear by that board, but curious about the supreme.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-22-2020, 2:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeab8 View Post
Also really curious about the supreme! Especially seeing how good your board reviews are!

I've been riding One Timebombs since 2012, and swear by that board, but curious about the supreme.
I have a loaner on the way. A soon as I have a couple of rides on it and get it dialed, I'll write comparison/review. It has a lot of features I am curious about.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       06-08-2020, 9:05 AM Reply   
Have you been able to get any sets in on the Supreme yet? Wondering how it compares to the One and RXT.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       06-13-2020, 3:52 AM Reply   
Awesome review. It's funny because I loved my 2012 and 13 Ronix Ones. Jumped on the Code 22 for a few years, after not liking the new One in 2015 that I demo'd. Switched over the the HL Murray in 2018 after demoing the 18 One and not vibing there either. The quick toe to edge transitions threw me off. I think I'd like the RXT though.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       07-22-2020, 3:16 AM Reply   
Has anyone had a chance to ride the Supreme at this point. Would love any feedback on it.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-22-2020, 5:12 AM Reply   
Sorry guys. I still have not been able to meet up with the rep to get one or I would have already done a review.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-27-2022, 5:59 AM Reply   
I just wanted to add that I had the chance to have a quick ride on a 2021 142 One Timebomb, @skiboarder nailed it in his review! The board is fast and pops great, no "typical" big 3 stage rocker drag. Just eyeballing the rocker, it doesn't look as pronounced as the previous Ones. The landings were good, even a couple that I got out into the flats. The board is playful/loose, but not skittish if that make sense.
I'm old and have ridden a lot of different boards, just to give some feed back on what I consider "slow" and what a fast board is;

SLOW- Ibex 144 slowest, draggiest I've ridden
FAST- Slingshot Lyman 144, the original shape/construction that had the full wood core and shaped bottom features

Pop, this new one is consistent in it's pop, to my taste, much more consistent than a crazy 3 stage like the LF Harley.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-05-2022, 6:50 AM Reply   
I have a Timebomb 142 for sale if anyone wants one. I have like 6 or 7 boards and need to cull the herd.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-17-2022, 5:02 AM Reply   
@gene3x, I maybe interested in your 142, can you send me a note?

Deaniejack at hot mail

thanks,
Jack