Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-29-2014, 5:29 PM Reply   
So I have my boat for sale and instead of getting leads I get crap like this.

Name: Todd Klimson
Email: tdklim1966@gmail.com
Phone number: 352-292-2736
Message: Hi!! We are selling a lot of vessels right now, worldwide (964 so far in 2014), and we have buyers looking for a boat like yours.

Would you mind if we try to bring you a qualified buyer and add our fee on top of your price?

--
Thank You!
Todd Klimson
POP Yachts International, LLC
Vessel Marketing Manager
Sarasota, FL 34237

(941) 894-3215 Office
(352) 292-2736 Direct

Florida DBPR License #: 8261

How many other people have been contacted by these people while selling on OIB? Is this something i should report to the admins @ OIB? I have heard nothing but negative about these guys and want nothing to do with them. If they had a qualified buyer why wouldn't that buyer contact me? Why would they want to pay more for my boat and give these guys a fee for nothing? Sounds like a scam to me. I bet their buyers are over seas or currently on an oil platform in the gulf!!
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-29-2014, 5:44 PM Reply   
Yeah I got calls and emails from them too, I wasnt interested in what they're trying to scam/sell.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-29-2014, 6:06 PM Reply   
Just thought about this also..according to their "964 boats sold so far in 2014" thats 4.6 boats a day….every day of 2014. 7 days a week. Thats pace to sell almost 1700 boats this year. If they really sold anywhere close to that they would be the number one used dealer in the country. People would be lining up to let them sell their stuff.
Old     (natedogg)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-29-2014, 6:09 PM Reply   
They asked me to sell my boat when i listed it on craigslist, constantly emailing me and blowing up my phone, very annoying!
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-29-2014, 6:41 PM Reply   
Did the same to me. Multiple times. Very annoying.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-30-2014, 3:45 AM Reply   
Same for me. I've got a buddy who has had his boat listed with them for like 6 months without a single email haha
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-30-2014, 4:51 AM Reply   
Sadly the numbers may be true. Even more sad, is the quality of boat they list is typically poor. Good quality, well maintained boats will either go quick WOM or be listed by an established local broker. The boats that the good brokers wont touch and the ones that languish on Craigslist and boat trader are the bread and butter of POP. There are plenty out there and yes, they are thriving. I know the local guy and he is really nice and decent, honest dude. In fact I felt so bad about blowing up so many of his deals that I have made it a point to get him better listings when possible.
If listing your boat with them gets you better exposure at no cost it may make sense., Most of these contracts are open, meaning if you get your own buyer you owe them nothing.
Remember I am speaking about all boats, not just tugs and I did not mean to infer that your boat is of poor quality.
I inspect boats for a living, that is all I do.
Old     (mro)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-30-2014, 7:51 AM Reply   
Those guys are relentless. I inquired about a listing if theirs once. After I passed on it, I was absolutely bombarded with emails for about a year and a half. They're the online equivalent of a pit bull. I could see them selling a lot of boats with that kind of drive.
If you tell them you're looking for a nautique or whatever, they'll send you listings everyday for bayliners no matter how many times you explain their error

Last edited by mro; 07-30-2014 at 7:55 AM.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-30-2014, 8:01 AM Reply   
I inquired about their services as well and they continue to hound me even after i tell them i have a boat and have already sold my other boat ( which i havent ). That brings me to a question. I'm not in a very big market area for boats. We have a few small lakes here but no real marinas or dealers within 2 hours or so. So where or what sites are good for listing a boat? I have it on craigslist but keeping the ad current is kindof a pain. I also have it on boattrader are there anyother good sources? ( its a 2004 Regal 2000 LSR I/O )
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-30-2014, 8:02 AM Reply   
I'll just ban that email address from sending emails through OIB.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-30-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbilly View Post
I inquired about their services as well and they continue to hound me even after i tell them i have a boat and have already sold my other boat ( which i havent ). That brings me to a question. I'm not in a very big market area for boats. We have a few small lakes here but no real marinas or dealers within 2 hours or so. So where or what sites are good for listing a boat? I have it on craigslist but keeping the ad current is kindof a pain. I also have it on boattrader are there anyother good sources? ( its a 2004 Regal 2000 LSR I/O )

Anglers Edge has the best program going for what you describe. It will be listed everywhere on the planet even craigslist except Yachtworld for a set price and it stays up until sold.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-30-2014, 10:32 AM Reply   
I got an text from Pop Yachts when I was selling my old MB on CL. Just told them to FO.
Old     (get_sum)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-31-2014, 5:20 PM Reply   
I was contacted a few days ago as well. Probably via my onlyinboards ad. I just ignored it.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       08-01-2014, 10:11 AM Reply   
My buddy was selling his 04 centurion DD on craigslist last summer, with no takers at 24k. Popyachts contacted him and said they would sell it for him, and asked how much he wanted. He said 24k, and they took a ton of photos and listed it for him thru their website for 27k. It literally sold in a couple days, I couldnt believe it. 27k for a high hour, no option direct drive centurion. They alsoi handled all the showing, they only had my buddy come out for the test drive. They took 3k from the sale, but he didnt care since he only wanted 24k to begin with. It worked out well for him, and they didn't take/ask for any money until it sold. I'm tempted to list mine with them as well. From what I heard (first hand experience) they are reputable and just a standard broker.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-02-2014, 7:07 AM Reply   
i got multiple texts.... lesson learned....don't put phone number in the phone number box on only inboards - put it in the write up of the listing.