Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Scotty)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-09-2019, 7:53 AM Reply   
I have a peculiar problem that I have been working on with Gary at Perfect Pass. Just curious if anyone else has had the same problem and you have been able to fix it.

I have an 07 MB Sports B52V with the PCM Excalibur 330 hp engine. According to Gary, this engine is electronically controlled (fly by wire) with their "Digital Pro" module. This means the PP module talks directly to the engine computer for throttle control.
When PP engages in cuts the throttle back significantly to where it has to come in with full throttle to reengage. For wakeboarding speeds it will eventually home in depending on how much ballast. When surfing, it hits 11mph and cuts the throttle which drops speed to 7mph and starts an endless chase for the setpoint. We advanced the CR/CS value to fine tune the engagement but increasing the value only helped a little if any until 1700 setting. Beyond that there was no change in the engagement behavior.
Note: I upgraded to the Stargazer GPS but this did not improve the throttle cutting back. Please help is you have any ideas. Thanks in advance!
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-09-2019, 9:31 AM Reply   
Here is my experience:
1. Do you hear the servo clicking when you turn the key? It could be that the cable/linkage isn't tight. Another possibility might be that there is a kink or issue with the cable where it isn't able to move smoothly. You can test this by running a servo test- look it up online or youtube. This would require a new linkage cable.

2. Another thing the servo test can help identify is if the servo motor is getting locked up. Mine rusted, which locked up the system. PerfectPass would say it is engaged, but it wasn't. I would break it free from the bind by using a wrench, but that only lasted a few weeks before it was locked completely. I ended up just purchasing a new servo motor. To prevent future rusting, I angled the servo motor down, so water could not run/splash into the motor.

3. Where the throttle body connects to the linkage is important. Placement is key, but tough to perfect. You want it tight enough that the PerfectPass engages effectively without slack, but loose enough that your engine doesn't increase RPMs at idle. There is an L-bracket that you might want to test flipping around.

4. Lastly, there is a way to adjust the amount the servo responds and how quickly it reacts. Search PerfectPass KDW and play around with that.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-10-2019, 3:15 AM Reply   
If it's drive by wire then there isn't a servo motor.

I just switch to GPS and wired perfect pass into my ECU last summer. When you switch to drive by wire you have to remove the servo.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       09-10-2019, 4:02 AM Reply   
This seems to be a problem with PCM during that 2006-2007 year, Tige was riddled with speed control issues on their PCM's they were never able to fix. My buddies was doing the exact same thing you're describing & the dealer, perfect pass could never make it work. Finally gave up and bought a new boat.
Old     (Scotty)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-10-2019, 12:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feed back. I fear this is not fixable. Gary at Perfect Pass has been very patient and helpful in looking for a solution. He is sending a brand new module at no cost to see if that may be the issue. Sounds unlikely though. I think the motor is sending bad info to the module and the module is reacting accordingly. I will post an update when the new module arrives and we go for a test.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-12-2019, 12:39 AM Reply   
I just want to double check that you did remove the servo motor when you up graded to GPS. If not it could be interfering with what the computer is saying to the motor.
Old     (Scotty)      Join Date: Apr 2012       10-03-2019, 5:26 AM Reply   
Gary @ Perfect Pass sent the new module but it took me several weeks to get out on the lake. Final results - it worked perfectly. Very seamless transition as PP took control. I am super pleased. Not sure what the other stargazer module had wrong but I sent it back to PP.
Thanks again for all the advice and input. This forum is such a valuable resource. These boats can be complicated but with a little mechanical know how and great recommendations from peers, it takes some of the mystery out of boat ownership.

On that note, I put in my own sound system based on info from this forum and it has changed the way we use the boat. Thanks again!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-03-2019, 6:20 AM Reply   
Glad you got it worked out