Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Basher33)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-10-2017, 6:10 AM Reply   
Brand new member here who is really fairly brand new to the boating world.

I'm looking to purchase my first boat and was hoping to get some feedback from more knowledgeable folks here on these forums.

I'd like to stay around or under 25k, My priorities are seating space and wakeboarding. I have five younger brothers that would love to learn how to wakeboard, but none of our friends have towboats for anyone to learn or board behind.

I found an '05 Sanger 215V for 23k, a '04 Malibu wakesetter VLX for 23k, a '00 Tige 2100V for 16k, and a '00 sunsetter for 14k.

I'm not a big fan of the DD sunsetter, but it seems to be maybe the best deal of the boats I've found so far.

Any and all feedback and help would be appreciated.
Old     (Basher33)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-10-2017, 6:12 AM Reply   
Oh, I live in Norman, Oklahoma. I would be willing to drive a decent distance to get the right boat, but will give priority to boats in my area.
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       06-10-2017, 3:36 PM Reply   
DD boats in general will have less seating space, but that's something you can obviously see. I'd probably be leaning toward eitherthe Sanger or the VLX, but that's with very little info to go on. Maintenance and condition is about the most important thing to look for in an older boat, so that should probably weigh heavily in your decision. I'd wager that any of them will offer more than enough wakeboarding performance.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-11-2017, 4:51 AM Reply   
^^. +1. Just stay away from direct drives, damn near impossible to sell unless you drop your pants on price. Look for good maintained boats. High hours if well taken care of don't worry me.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-12-2017, 6:33 AM Reply   
Im a Sanger and Malibu fan my cousin just got a V215 its a slick boat I really like it . If the boats well maintained and kept covered then high hours dont bother me a bit either .
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-12-2017, 10:33 AM Reply   
love my sanger. lot of boat for the $$. my pick would v215, followed closely by Bu VLX. can't go wrong with those 2.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-12-2017, 10:34 AM Reply   
I'd probably choose the Wakesetter for boarding. If surfing was your aim then the Tige.
Old     (Basher33)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-12-2017, 12:23 PM Reply   
Well that VLX didn't check out. The seller claimed the engine had a major rebuild done last year but refused to say why, where, or what was done to it.

Tige got tossed out because the selling process they were using was a mess.

So I'm really down to two boats.

That Sanger is immaculate. Only 320 hours, boat has always been kept inside, upgraded ballasts, upgraded stereo, always waxed before every use, it is super clean. I don't know a lot about Sangers, but it seems that the owners of them on this forum love them. Is 23K a good deal for a near perfect '05 V215?

And a '00 Wakesetter VLX I found for 16k. Some of the seats need reupholstery, stereo is not nearly as solid as the Sanger, someone whacked the nose good enough to chip the gel coat and mess up the rub rail, 620 hrs., no perfect pass, and just the factory center ballast. Still appears to be well maintained and in good overall condition.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-12-2017, 12:52 PM Reply   
23K for an 05 Sanger in immaculate condition as described is an incredible deal. I have an 05 Sanger V215 and at 150 hours on the clock with an ugraded sound system, upgraded the ballast and in showroom condition and garage kept. If I put mine up for sale I would be asking around $30-31k. I do live in Sacramento about 3 hours from the factory so Sangers are very popular boats here. It's almost difficult going to the lake and not seeing a Sanger. I'd definitely recommend the V215. My third season with my V215 and love it, does everything well and has been a great boat. This is my second Sanger and my first was a great boat as well.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-12-2017, 1:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM_DLX View Post
23K for an 05 Sanger in immaculate condition as described is an incredible deal. I have an 05 Sanger V215 and at 150 hours on the clock with an ugraded sound system, upgraded the ballast and in showroom condition and garage kept. If I put mine up for sale I would be asking around $30-31k. I do live in Sacramento about 3 hours from the factory so Sangers are very popular boats here. It's almost difficult going to the lake and not seeing a Sanger. I'd definitely recommend the V215. My third season with my V215 and love it, does everything well and has been a great boat. This is my second Sanger and my first was a great boat as well.
100 percent agree with this post !!! My cousin paid 27k for his 05 v215 last summer and it was beautifully taken care of . There is just something cool about a hand built boat done the right way . You can feel the quality when you drive them .
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-12-2017, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIV210 View Post
100 percent agree with this post !!! My cousin paid 27k for his 05 v215 last summer and it was beautifully taken care of . There is just something cool about a hand built boat done the right way . You can feel the quality when you drive them .
even my v230 (23' version of the same boat) feels like a sports car. wakeboard wake is awesome, surf wave is awesome. had to upgrade bags and stereo on mine. so it sounds like this v215 is a turn key boat in great shape with low hours.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-12-2017, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
even my v230 (23' version of the same boat) feels like a sports car. wakeboard wake is awesome, surf wave is awesome. had to upgrade bags and stereo on mine. so it sounds like this v215 is a turn key boat in great shape with low hours.
You can totally feel the race boat heritage in a Sanger ..The handling is probably the best there is as far as tow boats go .
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-12-2017, 2:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIV210 View Post
You can totally feel the race boat heritage in a Sanger ..The handling is probably the best there is as far as tow boats go .
Absolutely. Rough water handling is amazing and they're just fun to drive. Nautiques and MCs feel like you're driving a dumptruck. Great boats, I'm sure, just a different experience behind the wheel.

Last edited by denverd1; 06-12-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Old     (shaunnelson13)      Join Date: Jan 2016       06-12-2017, 2:08 PM Reply   
Love my 03 V230

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-12-2017, 3:02 PM Reply   
I'd move on that Sanger at that price! Bought my 2002 V210 in 2006 - pristine condition with 450 hours on it. Just turned over 1,000 this year. Still looks fantastic and running strong. Do all my own maintenance - easy, peasy. Countless hours of enjoyment & memories!
Attached Images

Old     (Basher33)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-13-2017, 4:45 AM Reply   
I appreciate the feedback! I'm working on sorting out the details on the Sanger.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-13-2017, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Absolutely. Rough water handling is amazing and they're just fun to drive. Nautiques and MCs feel like you're driving a dumptruck. Great boats, I'm sure, just a different experience behind the wheel.
The only other boat I've had that handles even close is my old DD Malibu skier . But not in the rough water .
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-13-2017, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher33 View Post
I appreciate the feedback! I'm working on sorting out the details on the Sanger.
NICE !!! keep us updated
Old     (Basher33)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-14-2017, 5:58 AM Reply   
I'll keep ya'll posted. Working out the details with the banks atm.

I did find this deal on a '03 22V Tige. What do ya'll think of this boat? https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bod/6173945396.html
Old     (Basher33)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-14-2017, 7:31 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, both of those fell through... damn my boat buying luck lol back to the drawing board.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-14-2017, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher33 View Post
Unfortunately, both of those fell through... damn my boat buying luck lol back to the drawing board.

Damn that sucks !!! Keep looking you will find something I went through the same stuff when I was looking for my boat .
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-14-2017, 8:14 AM Reply   
Too bad, 23k for a v215 in excellent condition was an insane deal. I'm surprised it lasted 24 hours. That's the kind of deal you can't think about, just need to be ready with cash when you see it.
Old     (Basher33)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-14-2017, 8:56 AM Reply   
Anyone know anything about Centurion Escalades? I can't find much info on them through internet searches.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-14-2017, 9:52 AM Reply   
never heard of 'em
Old     (Khyber)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-14-2017, 10:26 AM Reply   
Stay away from Bayliners and G23s. They are one in the same
Old     (Basher33)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-26-2017, 7:17 AM Reply   
Ended up figuring everything out with the Sanger and bought her this past Friday. It did not have upgraded ballasts, but it does have a trim tab. Took it out Saturday and Sunday. My little brothers had a blast learning to wakeboard.

Can anyone help me out? I'm not real sure what the trim tab does or affects. I know the ballasts add weight to the boat and in turn create a bigger wake, but I guess I haven't done enough research on the trim tabs.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-26-2017, 9:33 AM Reply   
I dont think you really need to mess with the trim tab. Im sure someone else will chime in with more knowledge then me and help answer that question . BTW my cousin payed more then you did and his came with the stock tanks in it as well . I hope you really enjoy the new boat ..Post up some pics
Old     (Basher33)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-26-2017, 10:59 AM Reply   
I will get some pictures up after I get everything cleaned up from the weekend. Thank you everyone for the help/guidance!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-29-2017, 1:50 PM Reply   
yes!!!!! welcome to the fam!!

trim tab is fixed and helps the boat get on plane, especially when loaded. also helps with rough water. you want just a bit of "hook" in it. so the trailing edge is a TAD lower than the leading edge. Mine's pretty close, so I haven't messed with it. Once on plane, you can't tell it's there.

v215 came with 250 tanks in rear + belly I think? eventually, you'll want to swap those to at least 750. 1100s will fit. wake makers sells a kit to convert to bags.

Congrats!!