Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jakeolsen11)      Join Date: Sep 2014       10-06-2014, 7:48 PM Reply   
I am about to buy a new board and have narrowed it down to the ronix ones series or the ronix camber series. I am and intermediate rider and can land wake to wake toeside and heelside and land 180s on both sides. I have started to try inverts and am progressing pretty fast. Which of these two boards would you recommend? If the one what are your thoughts about modello vs time bomb? If the camber should I choose the bandwagon or the parks? What is the difference between the parks modello and air core? I ride only behind boat. Thanks
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-06-2014, 8:55 PM Reply   
Jake,
I know this wont help you much, but it would really benefit you to try and find some to demo... Boards are very much rider preference and what may work for someone else may or may not work for you. If demo-ing is absolutely not an option some information that would help us provide you with more accurate info would be: What boat you typically ride behind? speed? line length? do you like a board that is playful (more skate-like less tracking) or tracks like a freight train? are you a w2w rider or do you try and do things into the flats? what board do you ride now? answers to those questions will help narrow down the field some. As far as the question between modello or aircore or time bomb, in my experience, I have enjoyed a more stiff board for riding boat. i have a One modello and have spent a lot of time on the time bomb and in my opinion I would vouch for the time bomb as it is a stiffer board (from what I understand the aircore is the time bomb version of the cambered boards, although I could be entirely wrong about that). One thing to consider is that at your level changing to camber may take a while to get used to as it is a totally different type of ride compared to 3 stage or continuous rocker.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       10-07-2014, 1:30 AM Reply   
I can't speak for the Slingshot boards, but I'll talk all day about Ronix. Before I go on about the 2014 boards, have you seen the 2015 stuff yet? Because the shapes changed for the One series. Parks and Bandwagon stayed the same.

Alright so first off you've got to decide whether you like a fast board or a slower board, a more aggressive edge or a smoother edge, abrupt pop or more abrupt pop, flex or no flex, and finally cost/color.

One series is going to have good speed with smooth, mellow edge to edge transfer with an abrupt pop off the wake. They're designed to be quick cutting but still smooth and under control. Time Bomb is going to be the most agressive, stiff One board, followed by the ATR and then the Modello comes in as the softest board. Basically you sacrifice some pop and weight for cost.

Parks is going to be the faster of the two camber boards, which isn't saying much if you're coming off of most other boards. It's got aggressive edges that will take you into the wake fast and once you learn to ride camber, will boot you. It's definitely a whole new feel. Air Core vs Modello is just the cores of the boards, although the Modello doesn't have a grind base. Air Core is going to be much stiffer and lighter, but will pop harder than the Modello will, which at a beginner/intermediate level you may not necessarily need.

Bandwagon, the slower and smoother of the camber boards, isn't necessarily a toned down Parks, but it's not as aggressive. I describe it as more of a surfy feel as far as cuts go. It's very smooth, but doesn't charge as hard as the Parks. I personally ride the ATR version which I love because I split time between boat and cable. Again just like the Parks, there is an Air Core version that is stiffer and lighter with a harder pop than the ATR. If you go the way of camber, you're going to have to re-learn to wakeboard. I'm an advanced rider and it took 2-3 weeks of riding for me to get comfortable on it, but once I did I love the way it pops off the wake. You can't ride tail heavy anymore, I ride with my weight centered 50/50 and popping off the wake is like doing a standing squat and jump on flat ground. It's certainly not for everyone.

As always stated in board recommendation threads: Demo demo demo. As much as you can. Most shops will knock the demo fee off the final price of a board if you decide to buy it, so it can never hurt to try boards and find out what you do and don't like, then look for similar traits in other boards that you might not be able to demo.
Old     (jakeolsen11)      Join Date: Sep 2014       10-07-2014, 5:13 AM Reply   
Thanks, I don't really think I want to re learn wakeboarding and I have never even snowboarded before. It sounds like the one time bomb might be the best option.
Old     (jakeolsen11)      Join Date: Sep 2014       10-07-2014, 6:29 PM Reply   
When will the 2015 ronix boards be on their website?
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-07-2014, 7:48 PM Reply   
Don't know about the site but their catalogue is on issuu now.
Old     (jakeolsen11)      Join Date: Sep 2014       10-07-2014, 8:37 PM Reply   
I just rode the one modello and really liked it. I found a deal on a 2013 for 449 with the one bindings. Is this a good deal for an older model? Is there any difference between the 2013 one and 2014 one modello?
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-07-2014, 8:59 PM Reply   
Fwiw, I'm selling my one modello with matching boots for 250. It is in perfect shape, no dings, scratches. Pm me if you are interested!
Old     (jakeolsen11)      Join Date: Sep 2014       10-08-2014, 3:25 PM Reply   
Can anyone help me on the sizing of the one bindings. I wear around 11.5 to 12 in nike running shoes and the 2013 one bindings I have an opportunity to purchase are only in 11. I may not get the chance to try them on. It seems like you would be better of having them a little tight as opposed to too big. How to th ronix sizes usually run?
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       10-08-2014, 9:36 PM Reply   
The One bindings fit true to size. I had a buddy who had 11.5 and bought the size 11's and his toes were hitting the front. Even heat molding them he still felt uncomfortable in them.
Old     (jakeolsen11)      Join Date: Sep 2014       10-12-2014, 7:20 PM Reply   
How do the parks bindings sizing compare to the ones?
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-13-2014, 2:29 PM Reply   
Same. All Ronix are true to size. The only difference is the Parks will be less stiff and lighter. The Ones are more stiff which is better for ankle support if that interests you...
Old     (jakeolsen11)      Join Date: Sep 2014       10-13-2014, 6:00 PM Reply   
Can heat molding help if bindings are too big
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-13-2014, 7:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToPHeR35 View Post
Same. All Ronix are true to size. The only difference is the Parks will be less stiff and lighter. The Ones are more stiff which is better for ankle support if that interests you...
I would have said this was true until a year ago. I've had several prior Ronix boots that were exactly that - true to size. I year ago I bought a pair of Ronix One boots the same size as my previous two Ronix, but the One's were tight as hell on me. I just replaced them with Ronix Bills, also the same size, and those fit fine. I don't know if the One is cut a little different / tighter than other models or if I just had a funky or mismarked pair.

Moral of the story - try them on if at all possible before you buy. If you buy online, try them on immediately after buying and send them back if they don't feel right. I suffered with mine for a year and had to buy a new pair to fix the problem where it would have only cost me shipping costs had I been smarter right at the time of purchase.

$449 for a One board and bindings is a good price. You won't find a new high end board/boot combo for less.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       02-16-2015, 4:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
I can't speak for the Slingshot boards, but I'll talk all day about Ronix. Before I go on about the 2014 boards, have you seen the 2015 stuff yet? Because the shapes changed for the One series. Parks and Bandwagon stayed the same.

Alright so first off you've got to decide whether you like a fast board or a slower board, a more aggressive edge or a smoother edge, abrupt pop or more abrupt pop, flex or no flex, and finally cost/color.

One series is going to have good speed with smooth, mellow edge to edge transfer with an abrupt pop off the wake. They're designed to be quick cutting but still smooth and under control. Time Bomb is going to be the most agressive, stiff One board, followed by the ATR and then the Modello comes in as the softest board. Basically you sacrifice some pop and weight for cost.

Parks is going to be the faster of the two camber boards, which isn't saying much if you're coming off of most other boards. It's got aggressive edges that will take you into the wake fast and once you learn to ride camber, will boot you. It's definitely a whole new feel. Air Core vs Modello is just the cores of the boards, although the Modello doesn't have a grind base. Air Core is going to be much stiffer and lighter, but will pop harder than the Modello will, which at a beginner/intermediate level you may not necessarily need.

Bandwagon, the slower and smoother of the camber boards, isn't necessarily a toned down Parks, but it's not as aggressive. I describe it as more of a surfy feel as far as cuts go. It's very smooth, but doesn't charge as hard as the Parks. I personally ride the ATR version which I love because I split time between boat and cable. Again just like the Parks, there is an Air Core version that is stiffer and lighter with a harder pop than the ATR. If you go the way of camber, you're going to have to re-learn to wakeboard. I'm an advanced rider and it took 2-3 weeks of riding for me to get comfortable on it, but once I did I love the way it pops off the wake. You can't ride tail heavy anymore, I ride with my weight centered 50/50 and popping off the wake is like doing a standing squat and jump on flat ground. It's certainly not for everyone.

As always stated in board recommendation threads: Demo demo demo. As much as you can. Most shops will knock the demo fee off the final price of a board if you decide to buy it, so it can never hurt to try boards and find out what you do and don't like, then look for similar traits in other boards that you might not be able to demo.
Whats your opinion of sizing? I am 160lbs and rode the "small" version of the Bandwagon a friend had last summer. I really like the feel of it and was thinking of getting one myself. Evo site looks like 160 put me at the top edge of a "small". Any thoughts? I wil not be able to demo the "regular"
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-17-2015, 1:15 PM Reply   
GO SMALL! The sizing for those boards is all cooky. I get what Ronix is trying to do, but at 160 you shouldn't even consider the standard. It is massive. I'm about your size and I've ridden both. The small was much more comfy.
Old     (ac88926)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2015, 9:24 AM Reply   
I have a 2015 Timebomb 138 for sale if youre interested. Brand new in the plastic. Had to spend some shop credit and dont really need the board. $600 online and in shops. Ill take $450 shipped. PM for pics