Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-26-2013, 6:36 AM Reply   
Well I took delivery of the 14 Slingshot Lyman yesterday and was pumped to ride it. Thought I would give the feedback that I got from a quick set. The first thing I noticed was when taking it out of the wrapper. It's actually a lot more green colored in real life than it appears online. By the pictures online I was expecting a completely black board. While I was surprised, I don't really mind. Ultimately I still like the look of it so I'm happy. Here's a picture of it from out on the boat

The next thing I noticed (which may not be new this year because I'm on a 2012 recoil) is that they moved the hole which you would normally have to put a little rubber stopper in to the keep the track screws from falling out if you were to remove your bindings to the middle of the track. This means there isn't really a need for a rubber stopper anymore. Minimal detail but I thought it was a good idea and leads to a cleaner looking board.

For frame of reference my board history is as follows (I will be comparing to some of these):
08 Liquid Force Lyman
09 Liquid Force Shane
10 Slingshot response
11 Slingshot Reflex
11 Slingshot Kine
12 Slingshot Recoil

The biggest riding factor quality I first noticed was softer landings. While I think all boards I have listed had soft landings I think the lyman is the softest by far. With the older LF boards they landed softer due to the center spine. With slingshots, they always landed softer because the boards had some flex and so would behave like a leaf spring when landing. The SS lyman combines both the benefits of a leaf spring (flex) and the center spine.

The second thing I noticed was slightly better pop than the recoil (when I hit the wake correctly). This was my first time with a new board so my riding was pretty inconsistent. However, when I hit the wake right, I got a friendly boot, and an even friendlier pillow soft landing. That being said, I feel like *every* time I get a new board the pop is notably better than the last board. Part of me thinks that is simply because the board is brand new and still has all it's "snap" but that is simply conjecture.

The next thing worth noting is that the lyman is actually looser feeling than the recoil. I didn't think that was actually possible because all of the featureless bottom slings are pretty loose riding boards. The lyman seemed even a bit looser although I confess by looking at the bottom features I cannot figure out what that would be.

Finally the last thing I wanted to mention is the flexibility of the board is similar to the 12 recoil. The 2010 and earlier slingshots were notably more flexible which I actually really liked because I still felt I got good pop off the wake and pressing out manuals was SO fun and real feeling (much like you can hold super long manuals snowboarding). After 2010 they all stiffened up with the addition of the fast track system. Comparing side by side the lyman and the recoil have similar flex patterns which to someone like me who has ridden slingshot since earlier, to me it feels quite stiff, nearly to the point of a traditional board. To me I still miss the good ol days of pressing out manuals but I digress.

To compare directly to the 08 LF lyman, I could never get the 08 LF lyman to pop quite right, and that's with a season of riding. I don't know if it was my riding ability or what, but I remember hearing rave reviews about the lyman back in the day but when I rode it myself I was not impressed. I had some apprehension in trying this lyman due to that experience but I was not let down at all. I do feel the pop is definitely there and I simply need to adjust to the different looser feeling so I can start getting more consistent pop.

To compare directly to the recoil which I have been riding for 2 years, I feel the boards are quite similar. The recoil has really great pop, and a lot of similar ride characteristics. The only notable differences are softer landings on the lyman (but still soft to a degree), and that the recoil tracks a little harder than the lyman (lyman is looser feeling to me).

Hope this helps someone, here's a couple other pics from last night:

Last edited by wakeboarder3780; 09-26-2013 at 6:40 AM. Reason: adding some pics
Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-26-2013, 6:46 AM Reply   
Something else I forgot to mention because I'm so used to riding slingshots now. If you aren't currently riding a slingshot one big comparison is that inverts are much much easier. Slingshots are thin and light and you can definitely feel the difference. I was never one go on and on about how some bindings were a couple ounces lighter than the others, but in my experience this is a weight difference you can *feel*. So if you're at a level where you're throwing inverts and you *still* haven't tried a slingshot, I highly recommend picking up a recoil or 14 lyman (different shape than the 13 so i can't vouche for that personally).

Couple more pics:

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-26-2013, 7:40 AM Reply   
Cool graphics for sure. I assume they were inspired by Kieths time in the military. Also, good write up too.
Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-26-2013, 1:26 PM Reply   
Yep, graphics last year and this year were based around him going to the military. Part of the profits from buying a lyman also go to the wounded warriors foundation to support injured service men and women. Slingshot's are also made in the USA so it's probably the most patriotic board you could have at the moment if that's a selling point for you (being built in the USA means something to me).

It was a really fun board to ride and even though it's getting cold up here in WI I'm still really itching to get out and ride it some more. I've also got some new 13 LF ultras coming that I'm going to give a whirl so if I'm impressed I might write up a mini review on those too because there are NO reviews that I could find on that binding.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-26-2013, 4:23 PM Reply   
Great write up and thank you for sharing. I have a hard time timing the pop on most 3 stage boards and ride much more consistently with a continuous rocker. Not doubt related to my lack of skill. But I was intrigue by this years Lyman.

I really want to try the new Oli behind the boat. If anyone has test driven the Oli yet, please chime in.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       09-26-2013, 6:14 PM Reply   
Nice write up. I've been wanting to try the slingshot recoil. I've been snowboarding a lot longer than wake, so a flex board seems like it would feel natural to me, I just haven't tried one yet.
Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-27-2013, 10:44 PM Reply   
If you come from a snowboard background I think you would really like the slingshot line. You will feel manuals to be much more satisfying and the board will likely feel more familiar - especially if you're into inverts.

I found out 2 days ago that slingshot currently no longer makes a donation to the wounded warrior foundation for every purchase of lyman's board. That was only for 2013. I didn't want to be misleading. Thought I would include Slingshot's response below to be transparent:

Hey there,

Thanks for your email and support over the years! Our agreement with the Wounded Warrior program expired in 2013. So as of right now we don't have a contract with them to make any donations. I'm not sure if we're going to continue doing that or not but we may end up making donations down the road if we can manage. It's the end of the fiscal year and we haven't really done any big contracts like that yet for 2014 so it may happen down the road but as of right now I don't think we're making donations for 2014 Lyman's sold.

Thanks again, and let me know if you have any other questions!

Kyle
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-30-2013, 8:13 PM Reply   
Are they not making a 144cm for 2014? Only see the 138 and 142 for 2014.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-02-2013, 4:58 AM Reply   
Tony,
it's too cold up where you live, wetsuits already?? Water is still in the 70's down here! Still trying to get down here?

Too funny that we both ride Slingshots, I'm on a '12 Lyman, did you ever ride that one? I have a friend with the '13 version, and it seems a little more flexible and less of a spine than my '12, but rides similarly. I would say the '13 may be a little looser and release a little better than my '12.

I'm looking for a more "wake to wake" board, and really would prefer to stick with SS, is your previous SS a three stage board also? I have heard mixed reviews on the previous 3 stage SS's with most people preferring the continuous rocker Reflex (think that's the model, too many "Re" in the SS line!)

I've got Ronix One's on my SS and love them, my buddy's board has the RADs, and IMHO the One's blow those away...
Old     (K2)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-02-2013, 9:05 AM Reply   
Hey wakeboarder3780,

I told you the wrong thing in my email. Slingshot is definitely happy to be donating a portion of the profits we make from each Lyman board sold to the Wounded Warrior Project.

We are only making the Lyman in 138 and 142 this year.

And Jack, I think you'll like the aggressive 3-stage rocker that's on the Lyman this year for going wake to wake. Once you get the feel of that kind of rocker down you'll be boosting super high off the wake and won't have to worry about hang time so you can focus more on finishing rotations and whatnot.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions about the Lyman or any other 2014 Slingy products. I'll be checking in on this thread throughout the day!

Cheers!

K2
Old     (mitchwillman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-03-2013, 11:27 AM Reply   
My 2014 Lyman just came in yesterday as well. I got it with the new Shredtown boots. This is my first SS board after having to leave Ronix because I was breaking 3-4 boards a summer. I have gotten to deal with Kyle and the other guys at SS throughout the whole purchasing process and they have been great. I'm heading to the cable tomorrow and will try and add a little review when I get back.
Attached Images

Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-03-2013, 11:31 AM Reply   
I am looking forward to your opinion Mitch. Sweet setup.
Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-03-2013, 2:08 PM Reply   
Hey! Jack! How are you? (names Russ btw, but it's been a while so don't sweat it).

Yeah the water up here is getting a bit chilly, but we have an unseasonably warm september / october so I have NO complaints. Under normal circumstances I'd be a couple weeks away from dry suit. I never even saw a '12 lyman, would definitely be curious to see what the underside of it looked like.

I have ridden the continuous (response), hybrid (reflex) , and the recoil (3-stage) in that order. In my humble opinion the boards got better as I tried them, meaning I liked the reflex more than the response, and I liked the recoil more than the reflex. Now that I rode the lyman my board would be either a Lyman or a Recoil.

If I understand what you mean by "I want a wake to wake board" would mean that you want more carry and less abrupt pop, which continuous rockers would lend themselves more to. In all my years of riding I know one thing, you learn more about what you want in a board the more you try AND the more you evolve as a rider. I used to be a big fan of continuous rockers - then I tried the recoil (3-stage SS) and I was sold on 3-stage. I distinctly recall the first set I had with that board and it felt like I was getting a distinct kick straight upwards. I was getting really good air time and I was ecstatic. To be honest, my advice would be to stick with the lyman and possibly consider buying or demoing the new lyman shape. I am a huge fan of the way this board is riding.

My buddy got the ones and I gave them a shot. For me I just could not get those j-bars in a comfortable position - but those boots are CRAZY lightweight. And don't you tease me about the weather! I'll get you a pic that will make you cold from here.. Wife and I are having a hard time selling our lake front here, so we can't move down where it's warmer until that happens Still hoping soon!

BTW Kyle, thanks for responding to this thread! That's totally awesome that you guys are still donating to the WW foundation - very cool! Also +1 to slingshot being great to work with.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       10-03-2013, 5:28 PM Reply   
Thanks Wakeboarder3780 for the read.

I personally have been fighting the desire to buy a Slingshot for about 2 years now. I am getting older, beat up knees and a soso back. I think the soft landings will help me out and Made in USA means a lot to me. I need to save the money and pull the trigger. Thanks to everyone that post on the thread, hopefully next season there will be a new Slingshot on the racks. I am digging the Lyman shape and graffics, wish the others in the line up looked as cool graffics wise.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-03-2013, 5:45 PM Reply   
Russ, Doh! Sorry bout that! Thanks for posting up that review BTW, very helpful.

By "wake to wake" I'm talking about a more abrupt pop. What I'm finding with my '12 Lyman is it's VERY fast, so for me heelside, have to make sure to take a very progressive edge to load the board/edge up. The board is sooo fast heelside for me, just have to really focus on proper good progressive edge. Toe side I love this board...

I've been riding a buddy's LF Harley, and it's an aggressive 3 stage which is giving me great floaty pop, therefore piquing my interest in a SS 3 stage.

Not to make you jealous, but we'll be riding down here until at least November, going this Saturday morning....we try to stay out of the heater tops until middle/end of October, then our wimpy southern selves are looking for jammies and dry suits!

Good luck on the sale up there, and let me know if you need anything down here.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-03-2013, 7:15 PM Reply   
I am surprised so many are concerned with graphic on a board. I know it matters a little but how it rides is the most important. I cant wait for my gf to buy me the new Lyman....she is getting a new boat out of the deal so I call it even.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       10-04-2013, 7:28 PM Reply   
Tim the graphics to me makes a difference if it they look like a 5th grader made them. I am not a cartoon type graphics guy and that is why I am stoked SS didn't put some cartoon character on the Lyman board, it looks like an adult over 30 would own it. No disrespect to adults in the group that like cartoons on their wakeboards it is just not for everyone. Not a big fan of certain colors too, just saying. ...... I think I am not the only one that probably thinks this way.
Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-05-2013, 1:40 AM Reply   
Jack glad to hear on the weather down there! I certainly can't wait to move. My wife and I are finding that while we are very decisive and act quickly, the rest of the world does not. Waiting is excruciating for us. Only thing you can do from down there is send thoughts and prayers this way that we'll sell the lake front soon

On the board front I would recommend trying *both* the recoil and the lyman side by side (same day would be best). Both ride a little differently but seem to be exactly what you're looking for. Not sure what size you ride but I do have the 12 recoil that I'm currently not using. If you wanted to pay the shipping I'd be more than happy to ship it to you to demo out, although for you lucky southern folks you can probably do the same thing at a board shop. Up here it's not that way, you buy to try which is why my board history is so long.

On the graphics front I can completely understand the gripes. I have to look at a board every time I pick it up and more importantly it shows in every picture I take of myself doing this sport (refer to above pictures and yes the top sheet shows on tricks like inverts and raleys). Not to rag on slingshot but I just don't like their "style" of graphics. I think the showing the wood grain is awesome, but the actual graphics I hate with the exception of the 12 recoil, lymans, and the whip.

With a topic as subjective as graphics you can never win. What I hate I'm sure there are others that love. I just wish slingshot would rotate the "style" of graphics year to year / model to model. If I could somehow get the graphics from the whip on a lyman, holy man I'd be in heaven. I tend to be more of a minimalist, I like solid colors with minimal graphic flare just so it isn't completely plain and solid. For me the ultimate great looking board was the whip. Have you seen that thing? It's gorgeous!

btw mitch, i really like the look of those boots with that lyman - nice!

Last edited by wakeboarder3780; 10-05-2013 at 1:43 AM.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-06-2013, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullspeed View Post
Tim the graphics to me makes a difference if it they look like a 5th grader made them. I am not a cartoon type graphics guy and that is why I am stoked SS didn't put some cartoon character on the Lyman board, it looks like an adult over 30 would own it. No disrespect to adults in the group that like cartoons on their wakeboards it is just not for everyone. Not a big fan of certain colors too, just saying. ...... I think I am not the only one that probably thinks this way.
I guess I am one of the few that would ride a pink board if it popped good and landed soft. I never let the graphics be the deciding factor when it comes to a purchase of a new board.
Old     (mitchwillman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-06-2013, 12:20 PM Reply   
Just got back from a weekend with the board at the cable. I would recommend this board to anyone and everyone, boat or cable riders. I went finless at the cable and was surprised on the amount of tracking I had when I needed it. I normally ride behind the boat, but I am looking into moving to Dallas in May and I'm sure I'll be riding a lot of cables down there.

The Lyman has great flex for presses, and an amazing spine for soft landings. I'm 6'7" and have terrible knees so when I hit a kicker I really look for a soft landing and this has it. I have ridden last year's Hooke behind the boat and I hear that it is very similar to the Lyman.

As for the new Shredtown boots, I like them a lot and they're very comfortable. I was impressed by the velcro actually holding up after being wet for 2 days.