Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (oakasrtheshiz)      Join Date: Jan 2015       02-06-2016, 5:17 PM Reply   
Seems pretty snazzy. I know most around here hate on epic but those GPH seem pretty nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz9mt2_iJF8
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-07-2016, 9:47 AM Reply   
Captain Steve needs to cool it on those powerturns.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       02-08-2016, 5:42 AM Reply   
Because there are so many gas docks that provide diesel...
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-08-2016, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett33 View Post
Captain Steve needs to cool it on those powerturns.
#wally
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-08-2016, 8:32 AM Reply   
Big problem with the Epic: can't fill all that nice, heavy ballast for wakeboarding. Wake washes out when the tanks are half full.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-08-2016, 10:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseR720 View Post
Because there are so many gas docks that provide diesel...
Oh the Columbia River where I do most of my boating, YES, most all of our gas docks have diesel. we have a ton of 30 - 50' cruisers and yachts that moor on our river. Most of them are diesel.

And in my 3 years of boat ownership, I've used the crazy overpriced fuel at the marina on a lake one time. Most all the boating I do is day trips, and my boat parks in my boat carport at my house. We top off the tank at our local fuel station every time before we get back to the house.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-08-2016, 2:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Oh the Columbia River where I do most of my boating, YES, most all of our gas docks have diesel. we have a ton of 30 - 50' cruisers and yachts that moor on our river. Most of them are diesel.

And in my 3 years of boat ownership, I've used the crazy overpriced fuel at the marina on a lake one time. Most all the boating I do is day trips, and my boat parks in my boat carport at my house. We top off the tank at our local fuel station every time before we get back to the house.

Agreed. I never fill up at the lake. EVER!!! They are on the right track. Just wrong brand of boat.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-09-2016, 10:18 AM Reply   
Am I the only one that thinks the ballast filling process is a little weird?? Open the valves and drive in reverse for up to 3 minutes???!!!!!!! That would get annoying VERY quickly!! And yes, not everybody fills up on the lake, but some people who live there do and some people may run low while on the lake and need a fill up without pulling out. And some lakes don't carry diesel...mine doesn't. But as far as the type of fuel used goes...that all just depends on the person and how they use the boat. No argument from me if you want a diesel...but that reversing for 3 mins to fill the ballast?!!!
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-09-2016, 2:08 PM Reply   
Brian, the people that made the video got that part wrong. The inlets are already underwater, no need to ram fill. They apparently don't have a general understanding of fluid dynamics haha. Just open the gates and sit there, the tanks fill up. When emptying, the idea is that you're going to head back to the dock, so open up the gates and either hop on plane or travel at a little more than an idle and they drain right out.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-09-2016, 3:01 PM Reply   
I don't think the people doing the video knew anything about watersports or how the equipment works.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-09-2016, 6:32 PM Reply   
Hahaha...good to know!! I thought that sounded completely wrong! And I figured at least Epic was smarter than to design something like that.....unlike the guys shooting the video!!
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-12-2016, 9:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdsworth View Post
Brian, the people that made the video got that part wrong. The inlets are already underwater, no need to ram fill. They apparently don't have a general understanding of fluid dynamics haha. Just open the gates and sit there, the tanks fill up. When emptying, the idea is that you're going to head back to the dock, so open up the gates and either hop on plane or travel at a little more than an idle and they drain right out.

You do not have to drive in reverse to fill, it just fills faster that way.
Old     (Nautical)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-13-2016, 3:40 PM Reply   
I LOVE diesel. I'd buy a diesel weed whacker if they made them. However, I wouldn't pay FORTY THOUSAND extra. I might pay $5k to $8k extra.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       02-14-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
Is that diesel option really 40K?
Old     (Nautical)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-14-2016, 7:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Is that diesel option really 40K?
According to the written portion that goes with that youtube review, yes:

http://www.boattest.com/review/epic/3487_23v

Near the top or use your browser search to find the second instance of the word "price."
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       02-14-2016, 2:58 PM Reply   
At 40k that boat will be in the boneyard before it ever breaks even with a gas engine.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-15-2016, 6:13 AM Reply   
Ugh! A $40000 up charge?! I love diesel engines and what they can do over petrol but to cover the R&D that much.. Doesn't epic know that Mastercraft tried this in the mid 2000s on their big X series but the up charge made them non existent!