Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       08-01-2013, 5:58 PM Reply   
Havent seen a thread like this yet. I think I finally have my boat sold, and Im getting ready to order a new one. Im just curious how you guys are taking care of these new boats to keep them looking brand new. Are you guys cleaning the floors, cleaning and conditioning the vinyl every weekend? After every use? Wiping down the outside of the boat every time it comes out of the water? Even the bottom side of the hull? I know everyone has there own ways of doing things, so just curious how everyone cleans and takes care of their boats on the long weekends and during the week on the quick runs to the lake!
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-01-2013, 6:18 PM Reply   
I personally use the boat bling products, all of them. I think all the products, babes, BB and Boat Candy, are great just depends on what is easy for you to get. Mine gets wiped down with Hot Sauce and vinyl sauce very time it comes out, even if I know we are going out the next day. I use the condition sauce on the vinyl about twice a month and the quickie sauce for a wax about three times a summer.

I have to admit my carpet gets neglected more than anything but get laundry detergent and a power washer as often as possible. This yet when we get it winterized I will have Buxton do a wet sand on the entire boat to get the few dock dings out. I know people on here do it themselves but for the money the ask at the shop it's not worth doing myself and they will put it on straps and get every inch.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-01-2013, 6:32 PM Reply   
No matter what product you use, consistency is the key. Even if it is just soap and water, do it every time it comes out of the water.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-01-2013, 6:44 PM Reply   
Even more important that consistency, what products you use, or what items you clean is exposure. Sun and elements do more over time to make a boat look bad than anything else. My prior boat I stored outdoors, but had a cover that kept nearly the entire hull shaded. The only clean up I did was a basic wipe down - no "products" or waxes. In five years I had the boat detailed twice - once maybe 1-2 years in when I was still OCD about the boat, and once more right before selling it. Despite 5 yrs of outdoor storage and me barely spending a dime keeping it pretty, it looked like a brand new boat. I attribute it all to it not being exposed to the sun and elements. Water spots etc unless they get extreme can always be detailed out.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-01-2013, 8:31 PM Reply   
I do not like to spend a ton of money if I don't have to so this is what I do after every trip to the lake. Boat gets wiped dry with a spammy or micro fiber. I then spray the gel coat with a mixture of 20% windex,20%, vinegar and 60% water and wipe dry with a micro fiber. I then spray the vinyl with a mixture of LA's totally awesome from dollar tree 20% and 80% water and wipe dry with a micro fiber. The carpet gets vacuumed as needed.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-02-2013, 12:30 AM Reply   
Boat Bling all the way. Vinyl Sauce & Hot Sauce every time, Conditioner sauce every once in a while. These are excellent products, kept my 4 year old 400 hour Moomba looking like new.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-02-2013, 3:41 AM Reply   
Boat Bling and lots of chamois everywhere to wipe up any water and let your life jackets drain on.Damp rid containers inside when you store it with the cover on.A bimini also helps with protection from fading when your out in the sun all day .Draining off on the deck and wiping down with a chamois helps too.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-02-2013, 5:04 AM Reply   
Taking care of a boat and keeping it looking new is all about how much time you put into the boat. You don't need to go out and pay 20 dollars for a bottle of boat bling or babes or any of that other stuff when you can go to auto zone/west marine. For my boat I wax it twice a year using meguires marine wax. After daily uses I wipe it down with turtle wax-n-dry. I truly believe that alot of people don't know about this product because if they did everyone would switch to it. Spray it on wipe it off while its wet and your left with wax still left on the hull and a great shine. It takes away water spots and smells great. Whenever I leave for the weekend I was the boat with soap and then spray turtle wax n dry wipe it off and leave. For evening shine go back over with a microfiber rag and its hard to beat the results. It's a great product for 7 dollars and you don't have to pay shipping and it available at any auto parts store.

For the interior, mothers makes a vinyl conditioner/cleaner caller XLR it's in a red bottle and it is great for the seats. Makes water bead off the seats and gloves it a great smooth feel.

Alot of poeple are going to tell you that you boat candy, boat bling or babes which are all great products that I to have also tried. In the end it does that same thing the turtle wax/XLR does at 1/3 the price. Good luck with the new boat hope this helps
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-02-2013, 6:55 AM Reply   
Keep it waxed and clean. Wipe down and protect the interior regularly. If you keep it on the water, you better have a solid dock with whips and a good retention system, or keep it on a mooring. I've seen wonderful new boats go to hell in a short amount of time after one bad storm on a dock... a mooring the boat will just rock in the waves...

Now, that said, only one dock incident can lead to scratches, gouges and bad stuff. Proper bumpers, good driving, knowing how to tie off to a dock or another boat... Our boat looks good because I didn't let other boats bump into me, and I keep it on the dock very little during a day/stop/otherwise. I am always the person to catch the boat too... I pull in, swing out of the drivers seat, swing around the tower and am the first feet to hit the dock... being in control and being able to move quick to ensure your pride and joy doesn't touch anything is key.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-02-2013, 11:49 AM Reply   
My cleaning quiver.

- quick note: boat bling spray bottles are the best. Every pump with your hand puts out way more liquid than any other spray bottle I've used, making fast work of cleaning the boat, so I have 4 of their bottles - not necessarily filled with their product.
- have a good supply of microfiber cleaning rags.

- bottle 1: Filled with Babes Seat Soap; Bought a gallon of this, love the smell.
- bottle 2 : Quickie Sauce
- bottle 3: 303 Vinyl protectant - bought buy the gallon
- bottle 4: Hot Sauce - bought by the gallon

oh yeah, and RainX 2-1 cleaner plus water repellent for windows. Like to keep this on boat as I'm anal about not having crystal clear drivers window.

I'm a weekend warrior, usually out friday once, 3 times saturday and 2 on sunday. I use most all of these for a wipe down every sunday. Maybe 303/quick sauce every other sunday.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2013, 12:08 PM Reply   
Had my boat for 6 years and she's still like new. We use the Hot Sauce on it every time it comes out of the water, wax it twice a year and do a quick wipe down on the seats right before putting the cover on. It's stored outside so when it rains, it gets dirty inside and I use soap/water to clean the interior and then wipe it all off or if it's really bad, I use a vinyl brush and some of that Exquisite Vinyl cleaner (bought a gallon thing years ago and the stuff lasts forever). I used to do the vinegar/water mix but it seems like it takes the wax off too fast and I really like the smell of the hot sauce! LOL!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-02-2013, 11:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Keep it waxed and clean. Wipe down and protect the interior regularly. If you keep it on the water, you better have a solid dock with whips and a good retention system, or keep it on a mooring. I've seen wonderful new boats go to hell in a short amount of time after one bad storm on a dock... a mooring the boat will just rock in the waves...

Now, that said, only one dock incident can lead to scratches, gouges and bad stuff. Proper bumpers, good driving, knowing how to tie off to a dock or another boat... Our boat looks good because I didn't let other boats bump into me, and I keep it on the dock very little during a day/stop/otherwise. I am always the person to catch the boat too... I pull in, swing out of the drivers seat, swing around the tower and am the first feet to hit the dock... being in control and being able to move quick to ensure your pride and joy doesn't touch anything is key.
All true...
Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-03-2013, 6:25 AM Reply   
X3 on keeping control of the boat. Regular maintenance is #1 but all the waxes and conditioners in the world cant fix gelcoat that has come in contact with an unprotected dock side or another boat. If you do keep your boat outside in the summer like I do, keep a good cover on it. I try like hell to keep the black sharkskin cover that I have from touching any of the vinyl though (like the top of the drivers seat and the engine cover / rear locker area). The last boat I had suffered vinyl problems only where the cover touched the upholstery. Not sure if it was heat related, but now I use the cheapo orange life vests on top of those areas to keep the cover off of them. Enjoy the new boat!
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       08-03-2013, 3:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies! Good info here. When I got a quote on an Axis A22, the black cover option had a footnote that it actually voids the vinyl warranty because the heat. I definitely went with the gray cover!

I always wipe down my boat with a towel every time we pull it out of the water. I only wipe down the sides though, and dont worry about the bottom of the hull, and it has some grime built up. I also try to wipe down the vinyl with vinyl sauce every time we pull the boat out. Vinyl conditioner about every other weekend. I was just curious how OCD some of you guys are on these new boats. I can only imagine how I will be on my new one
Old     (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-03-2013, 8:45 PM Reply   
Had my last boat 13 years, and it still looked brand new, I spend a lot of time at the ramp wiping down and I use speed gloss from boat candy, Switched from the hot sauce I like it much better, Tested them many times hands down Speed gloss works better for Water spots and over shine, I heard there wax is awesome so I will try that, Babes seat conditioner, Love this product!!! and every once and a while through the summer I do a deep Clean, We use the boat 2 to 3 times a week, so some things get neglected, Carpet, Tower racks etc,
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-03-2013, 10:07 PM Reply   
We have a 2007 Malibu with 2100 hours. It still looks showroom new, other than the inevitable wear and tear from 2100 hours of enjoyment on the water. The secret? Babes Boat Products. Boat Bright every time it comes out of the water. Seat Soap on the seats frequently, and Seat Saver to condition the vinyl every few uses, more often if there is a lot of sun exposure. These are high quality products, and they work!
Old     (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-04-2013, 6:33 AM Reply   
2100 Hr now that's what I like to see, So many people worried about putting hours on there boat!! If you do what everyone has recommended, Your boat will last and look like almost the day you drove her home!!
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       08-05-2013, 7:22 AM Reply   
My rule is simple...treat the boat more like a you would a car than a toy. I cringe when I see people letting the boat bang into the dock, etc. Their boat, their choice but it still pains me. People were still asking me if my last boat was new when it was 15 years old. I don't do anything special other than not hitting docks and wiping it down with a damp towel after each use then cleaning it once in a while.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-05-2013, 7:35 AM Reply   
Bryce,
My A22 you are passing on has 465hrs and it looks brand new. I agree with the Babe's and also the Boat Bling.
But now I have a friend with a discount code for Babe's (Thanks Kat)

I also have that snap in tatami mat. It's pulled out, I use totally awesome on the floor once a month with a scrub brush (floor only). Toothbrush on the on all the stitches in the vinyl once every month or two with the Seat Soap and Seat Saver everytime out of the water.
Boat Bright every single time out of the water after it's wiped down first and Spot Solver every couple times out before the Boat Bright.

When I get home and park it in the shop, my black cover goes on it - indoors.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-05-2013, 7:38 AM Reply   
I don't clean all the way down to the keel every time out (unless I can clearly see scum down there) but I do wipe down the hull to the first bunker on the trailer usually and with Boat Bright / Hot Sauce
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-25-2013, 11:53 AM Reply   
Exquisite Vinyl cleaner ??? Is this stuff still available anywhere?

I researched in some past threads and seen it recommended for (possibly) getting mold out of upholstery. I've also seen Magic Eraser advised but I'd rather try something first that's less aggressive .
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-25-2013, 12:33 PM Reply   
I bought Malco Leather and Vinyl cleaner a few years back and it works great. Magic eraser will clean but also damage your vinyl from what I have been told. It's way too abrasive.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-25-2013, 2:38 PM Reply   
Magic Eraser works fine. As long as you only use it on those tough spots and keep it well lubricated.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-25-2013, 4:52 PM Reply   
303 protectant. after cleaning interior use this
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-21-2013, 4:56 PM Reply   
I have not been successful cleaning mildew out of my upholstery. This summer I just started leaving my boat on a lift, and mold grew along the stretch where the upholstery of the bow cushions underlies the upholstery of the seat backs. I bought and tried Malco with a micro-fiber rag. Nothing. Then I bought Magic Erasers and tried with water alone. Minimal effectiveness. So I have been sitting here this evening re-reading old WW threads on how to attack this problem. I am mulling over my next plan of attack. Still, here is a brief summary of the main sides of the debates, in their own words. The statements all come out of one of the threads cited below. I left all the positive and negative reviews of Malco out -- the debate there seems like a tie.

I have found that hot water and dish soap with a magic eraser will clean better than any spray on wipe off cleaner.
Mr Clean Magic Erasers dipped in a solution of 50/50 oxi clean and water
G, magic eraser will do more damage to your vinyl than any cleaner. Magic erasers are very abrasive and should be used as a last resort.
Do not use them, unless you are out of alternatives. It's effectively sand paper and removes the top layer of the vinyl...
They are fine to use, just dont scrub like a mad man.
Leave your boat out on a night with a heavy dew. Go out around 8:00 AM, well before the sun gets on it and wipe the vinyl down. The 12 hours of moisture just sitting on the vinyl loosens up the dirt in the grain and brings to to the surface. It is amazing.
Plain old scrub brushes work fine.... There's really no science to it.....
I am going to stand by my old statements that the miracle in some of these cleaners is the brush, not the solution.

The first thread seems to have the more posts by people I recognize over the years as being very knowledgeable about boat things in general. Especially, Sparky Jay and Uncle Jessie. Sam Ingram Ingram is in another, and echos the concern about Magic Eraser. While Grant West posts, I know from later threads he would experiment with Malco, at first like it, then dislike it. ???

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1233326670
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1253848139
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1622953
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1257231243
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-21-2013, 5:16 PM Reply   
Ohh. And I own 5 or 6 of the Babes products and generally like them ... for cleaning up a boat after a day or weekend's use. But here, I have never had my boat not stored away in a locker ... with all the upholstery pulled apart so no piece of upholstery is touching another ... for three weeks of cold autumn rain. On the lift, the boat was covered by the factory tarp, and the marina has a roof (which would have deflected direct downpour, but not blowing mist).

The Babes products I have on hand are, hull spot remover and the wax, seat soap and seat (whatever .. saver), boat hull wash soap ... and ... as a freebie on one order, some sort of slime for getting your foot in a binding of a slalom ski.

(when it comes to tell you of any level of appreciation for the freebie ... there are ... no words)
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-21-2013, 5:52 PM Reply   
What do you guys use on carpet? I had to leave on a QUICK notice one weekend for an emergency at work. Was on the water when I got the call and put it on the lift. Didn't even get to put the cover on. I had someone go to put the cover on the next day and they tell me a bird or raccoon had gotten in it and from the looks of it ate a fish. The carpet looked like a murder scene. It literally made me want to puke. I've tried to get the stain out but can't do it. I'm willing to try ANYTHING to get my carpet back to looking new. Makes me want to not even go out anymore if I have to look at it every time to be honest.