Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (One2Many)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-07-2016, 9:57 AM Reply   
Hello,
So like the title says I'm thinking on maybe trading my Yamaha 212x for an axis a22. Really do like the Yamaha 212x but I'm thinking I want something to fit a few more people and more water sports orientated, I'd like to be able to wake surf. I'd just like to know how they would fair out in salt water? The dealer that supplies them doesn't carry any with the salt water package and told me they will be fine as long as I flush it out every time I use it. Mind you I can't use my boat year round like most of you guys. It will be used about 2 months of the year. Also how is the maintenance? Would it be considered a reliable boat? That's one thing I can say about the Yamaha, it never gave me any trouble the 3 years I had it.

Anyways I'm just considering it, one minute I'm for it and next I'm against it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-07-2016, 10:40 AM Reply   
They're very reliable boats, but if I were using one in salt water I would order a boat and get it with the saltwater package.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-07-2016, 10:43 AM Reply   
I'm with Tom .... if I had a boat that was going to be used in salt I would ensure it had the salt-water package. Correct me if I'm wrong but it does far more than just add salt protection for the engine.... it helps protect wiring, other metal accents, etc etc etc.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-07-2016, 10:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
I'm with Tom .... if I had a boat that was going to be used in salt I would ensure it had the salt-water package. Correct me if I'm wrong but it does far more than just add salt protection for the engine.... it helps protect wiring, other metal accents, etc etc etc.
This is at least some of it

Salt Series Engine Choice
Hydraulic Steering (only offered in V Drives)
Flush Kit Transom Install
Sea Strainer
Stainless Steel Gas Shocks
Anodized seat base slide assembly
Pizza Tray drains to bilge
Anodized or stainless ski pylon
Marlon Transom Drain
Grounding & Bonding of all components below water line
CRC & Silicone sealant on all appropriate components in boat
STD wire harness added sealed connectors
STD fasteners have all been upgraded for better corrosion resistance
STD harness and breaker panels are tin plated.
Salt Series Badging
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-07-2016, 10:49 AM Reply   
I boat in brackish water 60% of the time. As long as you flush the engine and wash the boat after each use you will be fine. We have been boating in brackish water for 17 years with 4 different boats and have never had any issues. Make sure the trailer is either aluminum or galvanized or it will be toast after a few seasons.
Old     (One2Many)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-07-2016, 11:34 AM Reply   
Only issue here is the boat I'm looking at is a leftover. I'd be getting a slightly better deal here if I went with this one, although I don't want the thing to fall apart on me because of salt water. He told me he never orders the salt water packages and they will last anywhere from 10 to 15 years before parts have to be replaced if washed and flushed out after every session. I'm not disagreeing with anybody here. It's likely different but my 212x doesn't have any kind of salt water package that I know of and besides some rusted screw tops and a bit of corrosion it seems to be fine. I even have a buddy who keeps his 230 seadoo jetboat in the water docked most of the summer, it's an 07 and he doesn't seem to have issues.
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       03-07-2016, 12:23 PM Reply   
I boat is salt water and have had both raw water cooled and salt water package boats. I have never had any salt water related issues with any boat. I did replace the manifolds and risers on my old tige but, after 400 hours and 12 years of salt use. Those were also cast iron and prone to corrosion regardless. The issues were with the trailer. I had a regular powder coated steel trailer and had rust problems.

My new boat is an axis a22 with full salt package. I have the the Indmar ls3 so the closed cooling is slightly different than the new engines. I also have a painted over galvanized trailer, so no worries there. After years of expirence with salt I've learned to coat the engine thoroughly with fogging oil and wipe down every time out in salt water. I also, use an old ballast bag and pump filled with fresh water to rinse my trailer right after I launch. Also, flushing the heat exchanger isn't mandatory, but I flush each time also.one thing I wish I did when the boat is brand new, is to remove all the stainless steel hardware that threads into aluminum, and apply anti-seize. The almunum board racks are peremently installed to my tower now. I also carry plastic tubs to put all the wet jackets and wetsuits into, when I boat in salt.

If your maticulous at cleaning up afterwards, no one would even know you had a salt water boat. It's all about the maintenance.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       03-07-2016, 1:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250frider617 View Post
I boat is salt water and have had both raw water cooled and salt water package boats. I have never had any salt water related issues with any boat. I did replace the manifolds and risers on my old tige but, after 400 hours and 12 years of salt use. Those were also cast iron and prone to corrosion regardless. The issues were with the trailer. I had a regular powder coated steel trailer and had rust problems.

My new boat is an axis a22 with full salt package. I have the the Indmar ls3 so the closed cooling is slightly different than the new engines. I also have a painted over galvanized trailer, so no worries there. After years of expirence with salt I've learned to coat the engine thoroughly with fogging oil and wipe down every time out in salt water. I also, use an old ballast bag and pump filled with fresh water to rinse my trailer right after I launch. Also, flushing the heat exchanger isn't mandatory, but I flush each time also.one thing I wish I did when the boat is brand new, is to remove all the stainless steel hardware that threads into aluminum, and apply anti-seize. The almunum board racks are peremently installed to my tower now. I also carry plastic tubs to put all the wet jackets and wetsuits into, when I boat in salt.

If your maticulous at cleaning up afterwards, no one would even know you had a salt water boat. It's all about the maintenance.
No one will know you had your boat in salt water until a few years down the road...

You can't clean everywhere salt water touches. You may be fine for a couple of years but as far as resale, I would never buy a boat that was used in salt water that wasn't designed for it.
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-08-2016, 12:09 PM Reply   
I wouldn't run a non salt boat in salt. I have a 15' A22 salt series that is pretty much only ran in salt and it still looks brand new after a year and 100 hrs, but you really need to stay on top of cleaning it. Lots of salt away and corrosion block spray help.
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       03-09-2016, 7:53 AM Reply   
I'm a previous AR190 owner and looking at either Nautique or Axis.. Yamahas are really nice boats, my 2014 AR190 was a beauty of a boat. Having said that, I'm not sure about your 212(twin engines) but the AR190 sucks when it comes to performance..terrible. I can't wait to get into a V-drive boat this spring.