Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ksunet)      Join Date: May 2015       05-23-2016, 2:31 PM Reply   
I just moved out to Salt Lake City recently. Does anybody have any information on lakes around the area? Where to go and where not to go? Where is it crowded? I am not looking forward to the water temperature.

Thanks,
Attached Images

Old     (chasemac)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-23-2016, 7:02 PM Reply   
What's up Neil?! Welcome to SLC. I actually live in Logan. Which is like 1 hour and 15 mins from SLC. But have ridden down there quite a bit! The Lake you choose definitely depends on what you're looking to do. I personally don't care much for Utah Lake. Lots of bugs, and it's deepest point is like 12 feet. Some of the more popular lakes, not necessarily busy until mid-summer, would be, East Canyon, Pineview, and Jordanelle. I've only been to Deer Creek once, but it seems pretty cool. Deer Creek and Jordanelle are probably the coldest. If you're willing to make the drive, Willard is not too bad. It's near Brigham city. We have a small crew that rides there pretty regularly. In fact I'm surprised that they haven't replied to you yet. They will! anyway... Hope that helps a little! Welcome to SLC!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-23-2016, 7:15 PM Reply   
Post here... http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...=801470&page=5 Those hooligans will lead you in the right direction.

Welcome to Salt Lake.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-23-2016, 7:49 PM Reply   
Welcome to the SLC, Neil!

Depending on where you live and how far you are willing to tow, will probably determine where you want to ride.

Utah lake right now is still low and keep hearing people hitting their props on submerged rocks. Like Chase said, at it's deepest, it's only about 12 ft on a good year, so wakes are smaller because of the shallower water.

Deer Creek is nice but notorious for afternoon winds up the canyon, and they also are positive for the quagga mussels so you need to decontaminate your boat by the park rangers every time you pull your boat out, unless that's the only lake you got to. And they do check, but it's up to you to be honest about it to prevent the spread of the mussels to other lakes.

Jordanelle is popular, and very busy on the weekends but there are times during the week you can find some good water.

Rockport & East Canyon are two smaller mountain lakes that are nice to ride but like Jordanelle, busy on the weekends, and can get windy. Plus you have the fishermen to deal with.

*All the mountain lakes (Deer Creek, Jordanelle, EC & Rockport) will be colder water & air temps for a while because of the elevation.

Willard Bay is another option but VERY buggy! That's where I take my boat and ride, and it's been a REALLY bad year for the mosquitos because of all the rain. Lots of fishermen up there too.

Those are all UT State Parks. Non-State parks are Mantua Reservoir, Pineview, and Echo. Mantua is a shallow lake with lots of weeds. Pineview is the party lake and is possible to get good water to ride on certain days/times of the week but I'll never take my boat there. And Echo can be good, but can also be exposed to the wind and weekend wally's. These lakes have their own entry/launch fee's so be aware of that. And I believe they only take cash.

Like EJ said, head over to our Northern UT thread and you'll be able to meet up with more local guys who like to ride. Hope we can hook up one of these days!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-23-2016, 11:40 PM Reply   
Based on the posts so far, between bugs, partiers, Wallys and wind, it sounds like Utah stinks for riding. Is it really that bad? It can't be that bad. Right?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-24-2016, 12:07 AM Reply   
Markj, it's a great place to ride. You just have to know when and where to go

But you'd be surprised how many people own boats in this state that have no boat/water etiquette. I think that's the most frustrating part.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2016, 6:12 AM Reply   
...and add to the fact that Ryan just posted water within an hour of metro SLC. With just a little more driving, more water, less people....

I'm not sure describing a lake as full of partiers, wallys & having wind is super uncommon....bugs, not sure, but only Willard and UTL have bug issues here.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2016, 6:14 AM Reply   
Plus, we have Lake Powell.
Old     (Sivs1)      Join Date: Nov 2015       05-24-2016, 7:43 AM Reply   
Welcome to SLC. Agree with the above. 95% of the time I'm on Jordanelle. We primarily surf and yes the wind can pick up, but also be gone just as quick. Get a good weather app and you'll be golden. Yuba is a decent lake south of the valley.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-24-2016, 8:05 AM Reply   
People have boats and use them in Utah???
Everywhere you go will be crowded on the weekends, trust me I know. Then I get to see these hooligans posting mid week riding on the Northern thread just to make me smile and know there's hope.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-24-2016, 8:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce View Post
Plus, we have Lake Powell.
Oh that's right. Hard to beat that.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-24-2016, 9:01 AM Reply   
I'm just trying to save Neil some time, instead of going through the hassles I went through when first moving here in 2002.

I don't go out on Saturdays, unless it's really early or late season. On Sunday's, get out early & I'm usually off the water by noon.

Otherwise, weekday mornings are the best, and maybe you get lucky on weekday afternoons.

Like EJ said, those are all within an hour of SLC, but if you're willing to drive farther, there are a lot more options. I just figured you were looking for info on local lakes.

And Tracy, I agree with you. A good weather site or app is a must. When I lived on the Jordanelle from 03-05, I was the weather station, haha! People would call/text me asking what it looked like, and I'd just have to look off my balcony or out my bedroom window. Miss those days but it's just gotten so crowded up there.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-24-2016, 9:04 AM Reply   
Im one of the guys that recently hit his prop at utah lake. We traditionally have gone to utah lake around this time of year until it heats up more and we start going to deer creek and jordanelle. We do a lot of weekday evening trips and early early saturday trips.
We hit out prop in the marina at the pelican bay marina on the saratoga springs side. I had a buddy got to the lindon/provo side and was fine. I still wouldnt trust it until it fills up more.
We also take trips down south to sand hollow in st george. Small but really clear water and nice beaches. I would only recommend going on a weekday there as well though if you want nice water.
Old     (ksunet)      Join Date: May 2015       05-24-2016, 11:46 AM Reply   
Thanks for the great responses and greetings! I live in Cottonwood Heights and don't mind driving a distance to get to a great lake. I plan on going to Jordanelle this weekend just to get the boat out for the first time and cruise around. I typically just wakeboard and kneeboard. I am not a big fan of fishing out of my boat.. I don't know anybody in town so I need to find some people to go out with.

Is Willard very shallow? Do you have to worry about your prop? I will stay away from Utah lake as I have an I/O with a dual prop and it hangs down low. (One day I will have an inboard. I like going 50 mph so for now I will stick with my I/O)

Regards,
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-24-2016, 12:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
I plan on going to Jordanelle this weekend
We're heading to Lake Powell and kick off summer at Antelope Point Marina. I usually go to Deer Creek since the crowds are lower due to the positive test for starting of the mussels. Clean, Drain, Dry and you're all good if you want to go to another lake.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-24-2016, 12:27 PM Reply   
Neil, Willard is up and both marina's (South & North) are good to go. Just make sure to pass the channel markers outside of the marina completely, before turning left or right. Also, certain shorelines are shallower so just keep your eye on the depth gauge.

I'll be camping this weekend out of town, but have a great time at Jordanelle. Dress warm! LOL

BTW, where did you move from?
Old     (ksunet)      Join Date: May 2015       05-25-2016, 7:06 AM Reply   
I moved from the KC area..

Nothing like boating in flip flops and a parka.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-25-2016, 11:53 AM Reply   
Haha! I moved here from Milwaukee, WI in 2002 but was born & raised in Hawaii. So I know what you mean.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-25-2016, 12:57 PM Reply   
It's usually a bit warmer this time of year. Oh well soon it will be too hot.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-26-2016, 8:41 AM Reply   
You had me at Cottonwood heights, Snowbird here I come, get some white on Memorial Day weekend and skip the crowds on the water