Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-18-2016, 9:11 PM Reply   
Is there a really a $65 difference in the way these 2 interconnects sound? recommendations?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...er-SI4617.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...CA-6CH-7M.html
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-19-2016, 6:27 AM Reply   
I have used those stinger interconnects successfully.

IMHO RCAs either work (pass the signal, don't introduce noise) or they don't. Once you are past this threshold, the rest is just bling to impress your wakeworld friends. Never once have I had a person on my boat take a peek at the amp rack and say "damn, nice RCAs".
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-19-2016, 1:24 PM Reply   
I doubt you will hear a difference, but you would likely feel the difference in weight. More robust materials and better assembly process.

The stinger is about 4ft shorter.

Flat v's the round wet sounds.

The stinger ends look to be about 8" after the split. If running 2 or more amps, you would likely have to extend them with more RCAs. So more connections.

The wet sounds has longer sections at the amp end for the reason of running more than one amp. Very good chance that each pair will reach its amp with no extension needed. The other end is split perfect for the SW-420 or 220.

So there is some value there in that price difference.

Last edited by chpthril; 05-19-2016 at 1:33 PM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-19-2016, 1:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
The stinger ends look to be about 8" after the split. If running 2 or more amps, you would likely have to extend them with more RCAs. So more connections.
FWIW, hard to tell in the pics, but the stingers actually have detentes in the ends that allow pairs to be broken off. So if you have the length, no need to extend to get the pairs to different amps.

There's also a 20' version available if extra length is necessary. Which one could actually see as a plus -- being able to buy the six channel version that fits your length needs rather than figuring out how to cleanly hide excess cable.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-19-2016, 4:44 PM Reply   
example of stinger 6 channel being used with amps farther than 8" apart, for the record.

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-19-2016, 5:26 PM Reply   
I havent found bundling a little extra slack, to be an issue. The Wet Wire 6-chnl also comes in a 5 meter. I have found that in most applications with the EQ on the helm and the amps on the port side, 14ft RCA's are tight but rarely do we need more than a 20 ft. So having a 5M and 7M seems to fit the bill and not have loads of extra to bundle.

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-19-2016, 6:44 PM Reply   
LOL so it sounds like we agree, Mike, that the 20' stinger, the 17' stinger and the 14' stinger give lots of 6 channel options, at substantial savings vs the blingier WS cable.

Some people gotta have their bling. My point is just that the stinger is a quality piece that will perform satisfactorily. There's no real performance advantage. Really just bling, which sometimes you gotta have.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-19-2016, 7:22 PM Reply   
We actually disagree. A cheaper product is not a savings, its just cheaper. I dont see the Wet Wire as bling. No question the quality of the stinger, but its clearly not made to the standards of the Wet Wire.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-19-2016, 7:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
We actually disagree. A cheaper product is not a savings, its just cheaper. I dont see the Wet Wire as bling. No question the quality of the stinger, but its clearly not made to the standards of the Wet Wire.
hahahahaha spoken like a true salesman.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       05-20-2016, 7:06 AM Reply   
Not sure how much interaction you have had with Chp but he is anything but a salesmen. He will spend countless hours (has for me and many others) helping them fine tune their existing systems without a penny going to him....

He has a pretty impressive amount of working knowledge on this stuff so I for one am inclined to listen...I wouldn't be surprised if he has the bench test numbers showing where the difference in performance is....

Now, would 99% of the average dude NEED that difference, probably not but his basic point is that there is in fact a difference between the two cables hence the cost difference...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-20-2016, 9:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnMac42 View Post
Now, would 99% of the average dude NEED that difference, probably not but his basic point is that there is in fact a difference between the two cables hence the cost difference...
The OP's question was whether there is a $65 difference in the way the two different interconnects sound. None of Mike's proffered distinctions between the two sets of interconnects has anything to do with the way they sound. Instead we are told that it's a cheap product.

I can drink my beer from a red solo cup or a pimp cup, but either way it's gonna taste the same. May not look as cool, may not have been artisan spun on a solar powered lathe, but functionally, does the same thing.

I mean for that matter, you can buy an amazon hdmi cable for your tv for $5 or go to best buy and spend $100 on a monster version. both gonna pass the signal the same.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-20-2016, 9:48 AM Reply   
Shawn,

You are correct, he ask about sound. That was answered in my first sentence. Rather than leave it there, I offered some insight into why one is more expensive then the other, and its not just bling. Thats all. Now, can you say for sure if there is or is not a difference in sound? Have you done the A/B testing on the Wet Wire interconnects along side others. If not, then maybe you should not go the "bling" route until you do. Just maybe there is more to the Wet Wire than an expensive look. Nothing negative at all said about the Stinger, but you seem hell bent on trashing a product you have not even indicated to have actual experience with.

As to the beer analogy. If you are drinking Natural Lite out of both cups, sure they taste the same. However, we have Coors Light in solo cup compared to Sam Adams Lager in a glass stein. Which one tastes better again?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-20-2016, 10:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
IMHO RCAs either work (pass the signal, don't introduce noise) or they don't
Quote:
I doubt you will hear a difference
Quote:
so it sounds like we agree, Mike
Quote:
We actually disagree.
Quote:
You are correct, he ask about sound. That was answered in my first sentence.
and what if you are juggling oranges?

I was comparing apples to apples. I mean what if you hook up your wet wire on janky amps but run the stinger on nice JL stuff?

I haven't said a single bad thing about the wetsounds wire, Mike. Look at my posts. I am not "trashing" anything. If there's any "trashing" it would probably be from you, right (you can't hook up multiple amps, cuz the terminations are too close (wrong), or that "it's not a savings, it's just cheaper" (i.e. "it costs less, so it must be inferior"))? By the "cheapness" measure, the WS interconnects must be inferior to the more expensive JLs? But of course they all must sound like garbage compared to these: http://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-Syd...rds=sydney+rca

I did say the WS cable is "bling," but I don't intend that to be "trashing," any more than recognizing that nice wheels or a billet dash are bling. Like I said there's nothing wrong with bling for bling's sake. But you certainly cannot hear bling.

And for the record when I do the install on my new boat, it will actually be using the WS product (came with EQ as a package). So I have no axe to grind (or product to push).

Last edited by shawndoggy; 05-20-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-20-2016, 11:23 AM Reply   
To the OP,

Please for the love of GOD, go buy the damn stingers so shawn can relax, LOL
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-20-2016, 1:42 PM Reply   
I guess I better not ask about speaker wire comparisons.
Thanks for all of your opinions/facts.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-03-2016, 4:44 PM Reply   
So I did my install last weekend with the wetsounds cable. I stand by my prior comments. I would actually prefer to work with the stinger cable. The wetsounds "whips" on the amp end of the cable are too long and somewhat unmanageable compared to the stinger cable (which can be sized to fit). The WS cable is also pretty long for my particular install (T22).

I mean it passes the signal, like it should, but seems to offer no meaningful advantages for me.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2016, 8:49 PM Reply   
Wallyworld has the stingers for $25 - [url]http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stinger-SI4612-12-Foot-4000-Series-Professional-6-Channel-RCA-Interconnects/195586492[/url

they all come from china anyway

Last edited by rexlex01; 06-03-2016 at 8:52 PM.