Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-11-2016, 8:53 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine let me know that there was a very nice 1999 prostar 205 (direct drive) boat for sale. It only has 188 hours, clean boat no damage the only thing they fixed was the fuel pump brand new in january. I researched a bit and found that the some of the LTR engines had this problem. The guy wants $16,000 for it, it has tower and perfect pass interior is pretty good. I think that this would be a decent deal. Let me know what you think.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-11-2016, 10:30 PM Reply   
Maybe it's just me, but you're sounding more and more like a tire kicker. In your original thread, you said no one would give you a test ride. Now, I think I know why. They smelled a tire kicker which you claimed you weren't. This is the fourth brand or type of boat you've asked about now-which shows you're not sure what you're looking for.

You're looking for a used boat in a relatively low price range. If you're into wakeboarding, find the best deal on a used V-drive that you can. Not a direct drive. Besides mechanical inspections, you can look at a boat yourself and see what kind of condition it's in. Common sense applies. When it comes to the mechanical, pay a pro $150 or whatever to do a pre-purchase inspection. In your price range, there isn't a huge amount of difference between brands that you can't see for yourself.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       05-12-2016, 12:42 AM Reply   
Hey I don't see a prob with this guy asking about boats, I mean shoot I asked a million times on here about boats that I was looking at, malibus mastercrafts nautiques, and I ended up with a Sanger.... This forums for asking questions 2shay! Anywho I do agree with the above post, ANY V DRIVE you can get your hands on in your price range I would get... The pro star is a good boat nothing against them at all (almost bought a 205 myself) but it isn't ideal for wakeboarding and surfing... Like Mark said... Get a vdrive in your price range and your set
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       05-12-2016, 12:44 AM Reply   
Btw idk about anyone else but that's pretty damn high for a 205 right now.... I garantee you can find a v drive within a 16,000 dollar budget
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-12-2016, 4:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJonesWakeboarder View Post
Btw idk about anyone else but that's pretty damn high for a 205 right now.... I garantee you can find a v drive within a 16,000 dollar budget
That does seem on the high end for a direct drive.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-12-2016, 4:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
That does seem on the high end for a direct drive.
Quote:
I garantee you can find a v drive within a 16,000 dollar budget
Agreed, its low hours and whatnot, but you can certainly find a V-drive for that money, and you'll be happy you did.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-12-2016, 5:45 AM Reply   
Ok, I was thinking it was on the lower end due to hours and such. Glad I asked, thanks guys.

Joel
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-12-2016, 8:06 AM Reply   
I agree the price sounds high. The 99 205 has the same hull as the first gen xstar. With weight the wake is fantastic. It also skis very well. I had a 2000 and loved that boat. It was like driving a Ferrari. However, the interior is small so if you can find a vdrive I would opt for that.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-12-2016, 8:12 AM Reply   
If it's super clean id shoot for 15k. That's a big ass dd and the wake is super meaty!
Old     (jessz71)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-12-2016, 3:25 PM Reply   
To me what you are describing sounds like a good buy. I look all the time for fun where I live in mn I have yet to see a v drive for 16k. I have a 98 205 and I really like it, great on gas and seems like a quality built boat and has yet to fail me (knock on wood)
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-12-2016, 7:45 PM Reply   
In Oregon that would sell for $16k fast.... A 1995 PS205 with 500 hours on it just sold here and the phone was ringing off the hook at $15k. It is different all over the country through.
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-12-2016, 8:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
If it's super clean id shoot for 15k. That's a big ass dd and the wake is super meaty!
I know the hulls are great and have a lot of history. The one thing I really don't like is the interior. The 99's look cheap with the fibergalss on motor box and straight observer seat. I know some may think that is petty, but if I am going to spend that amount (which is a lot to me) I don't expect it to be perfect condition but, man it looks cheap. Come to find out through here and other forums is that the 99's had really poor quality interior as well, and that can add up in a hurry. I used to ride and ski behind my uncles 98 ps 190 and it was great. Have to say if it was better interior (not the condition) but the look I think I would have bought it, pending full run through and test run.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-13-2016, 7:11 AM Reply   
If you don't like the interior, why are you asking about it?
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-13-2016, 11:43 AM Reply   
seems like a lot of you guys get shafted on boat prices . I guess the west coast has the best deals on used boats . I agree a vdrive is always the way to go for a boarder . I know in Cali you could get a good vdrive in your price range . Maybe you could find one and take a road trip
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-13-2016, 12:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
If you don't like the interior, why are you asking about it?
I posted the question before I realized how poor quality the interior was. I didn't like the look but thought about dealing with it, then realized that those years were known for poor quality.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-13-2016, 1:18 PM Reply   
Look for a 2000 model. They are much nicer.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       05-13-2016, 7:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shay View Post
I posted the question before I realized how poor quality the interior was. I didn't like the look but thought about dealing with it, then realized that those years were known for poor quality.
I'm sure everyone appreciates you asking questions without doing any research first.

Put a ton of hours on a 99 PS 205. One of the most versatile boats out there for the year. Although basic I had zero quality issues with the interior.. As far as looks go........dude its a 99.