Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-10-2016, 11:48 AM Reply   
I don't speak stereo, but I have a mobile installer coming to my house to install equipment I'll have on hand. I currently have
2 wet sounds pro 80's powered by their own dedicated amp.
My head unit is a Clarion M502
I have 6 in boat speakers 6.5 Polks I believe. no amp currently
I want to add a sub.
I have a WS-420 equalizer still in the box

I'd like to buy an amp just for the 6 in boat speakers. How many channels and watts?

I want a little bass. So I was planning on buying a preloaded speaker box with one 10 or 12
I don't really want to put the sub under the the wheel. I have tons of room in the storage under the glove box area (05 Supra 21V). Can the sub be open air or should it be in an enclosed and ported sub box?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-10-2016, 12:15 PM Reply   
I like a 6 chanel amp for the in boat's. A Htx6 would be my choice. As for a sub I strongly recommend that it goes under the helm. When you put it in the observers compartment most of the output is lost In my opinion free air subs are a waste of money. You get more boom for the buck with a ported box.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       05-10-2016, 12:42 PM Reply   
A 6 channel amp could use 4 channels to power the cabin speakers and the 5&6 channels bridged to power the sub. Less wiring than having a separate amp for the sub
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-10-2016, 1:06 PM Reply   
That makes sense. I'm all for less wiring. The sub thing has me perplexed. I like a little bass. Not a lot. The wife doesn't want the leg room under the steering wheel impeded. So I'm looking at some of the pre loaded slim sub packages or a ported box for the observers compartment. Lots of choices and I'm a tight arse
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-10-2016, 2:57 PM Reply   
HTX6 like Harold said, second choice would be HTX4. Plenty of power for those speakers, and once you hear them you'll be ready to upgrade to XS-650's.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-10-2016, 6:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
I want to add a sub.
What model Polk? Choose the woofer and amp choice will fall into place.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-11-2016, 6:44 AM Reply   
You have plenty of room under the helm for a sub. My 06 24v has the hump behind the kick panel and I still fit a seal box for a 12" sub.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2016, 2:02 PM Reply   
Polk DB 651 are my interior 6.5's and there's six of them
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-11-2016, 3:31 PM Reply   
I can speak from experience. Make the sub work in the footwell of the drivers helm in the open air.

Stuffing a sub under the observers seat will completely destroy any output.

One fatal flaw of the Nautique design. No open air area to mount a sub. What sounded fantastic in my previous boat under the drivers helm, is pretty much non existent in my current.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2016, 5:15 PM Reply   
I'll take your word for it. What do you think of some of the the thin open air boxs that would fit perfect under the helm?