Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-27-2016, 7:28 AM Reply   
Looking at picking up a 2001 LandCruiser. Have a 2003 SANTE on a tandem axle trailer. Looking for anyone with experience pulling their wake boat with an older LandCruiser. Just want to make sure it won't be too big of a step down from my 2012 F150 w/ the 5.0. It's about 15 miles to our boat ramp hardly any hills. Will make one or two trips yearly out of town. So what say you who have used a LandCruiser for pulling their boat?
Old     (jws2)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-27-2016, 8:39 AM Reply   
V-8 version should be fine.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-27-2016, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jws2 View Post
V-8 version should be fine.
I think so too. Hoping someone who pulls with a LandCruiser will chime in.
Old     (jws2)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-27-2016, 10:20 AM Reply   
you have more that enough power with the iforce..... the vehicle is rated at 6500lbs towing, boat dry weight is 3190lbs. Figure gas, gear, trailer etc. you are at most likely just over 5000lbs. you should be more then fine. Your f150 is most likely only 7900 lbs. depending on configuration. I tow my Hydrodyne (3000lbs.) with my FJ Cruiser all the time, it does fine, just need to make sure the trailer brake work.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-27-2016, 10:35 AM Reply   
pulled with a v8 sequioa for years. watch your tongue weight and you'll be fine
Old     (jgilson)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-27-2016, 11:33 AM Reply   
We used to tow with a similar year Lexus LX470, which is basically the same vehicle but with air suspension. At the time, we were towing a 2002 Crownline IO that was probably a pretty similar weight to your SANTE. I’m not going to lie; it really was not the best tow vehicle. The back end sagged a lot with a relatively low tongue weight (I’m not sure how the non-air suspension would compare), and the 4.7 V8 struggled quite a bit while towing and pulling the boat out at the ramp. Anytime we towed, it was for 40 min or less so it was okay, but I would try to stay away from anything long distance.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-27-2016, 2:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilson View Post
We used to tow with a similar year Lexus LX470, which is basically the same vehicle but with air suspension. At the time, we were towing a 2002 Crownline IO that was probably a pretty similar weight to your SANTE. I’m not going to lie; it really was not the best tow vehicle. The back end sagged a lot with a relatively low tongue weight (I’m not sure how the non-air suspension would compare), and the 4.7 V8 struggled quite a bit while towing and pulling the boat out at the ramp. Anytime we towed, it was for 40 min or less so it was okay, but I would try to stay away from anything long distance.
Appreciate that info! Looking at 05 LX470 also so that fit the bill for both vehicles I'm looking at. Since it's mainly for short distances it may be ok. Guy selling the LandCruiser said I could pull the boat the with it before buying.
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       04-28-2016, 3:21 PM Reply   
I pulled a friends 21ft cobalt I/O with his 02 LC around 100 miles or so. He was nervous towing a boat as he had never done it before, so I pulled it home for him driving his LandCruiser. It did just fine. I routinely tow with a LX570. Before, that it was with an Expedition. Even though the LX weighs more and has a more powerful engine, the Expedition was a better tow vehicle with its longer wheelbase. The LandCruiser will do fine, however, the shorter wheelbase will make it less desirable as a tow vehicle vs. your F150. Having said that, 15 miles a few times a year should be fine.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-29-2016, 10:49 AM Reply   
I used to pull at Malibu Sunsetter with my straight 6 Landcruiser. Cannot remember the year but that was the only engine available at the time. It would get it down the road at 70 but it worked hard to do it. I am in Florida so its flat but the LC worked hard on overpasses and had little left over 65mph. If I was only doing 15 miles it would have been no big deal.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-29-2016, 11:39 AM Reply   
Nice that's the info I wanted to find. Yeah the 3-4 trips a week to the river are a short drive so it sounds like I'll be good to go. Now just have to find one I like.
Old     (volfo)      Join Date: Dec 2014       04-30-2016, 6:11 AM Reply   
I pull my mb b52 23 with a 2004 landcruiser. Has very little pick up, gets horrible gas mileage and have had an issue backing slowly down a very steep very wet rap once(boat on trailer actually started dragging truck down the ramp). It works, but in my mind but ideal for my boat
Old     (volfo)      Join Date: Dec 2014       04-30-2016, 6:12 AM Reply   
Not ideal
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-30-2016, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by volfo View Post
have had an issue backing slowly down a very steep very wet rap once(boat on trailer actually started dragging truck down the ramp). It works, but in my mind but ideal for my boat
The old tail wagging the dog problem. This is the time you wish the trailer brakes weren't surge activated and that you had an electric controller that allowed you to apply the trailer brakes when you wanted to.
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       05-01-2016, 9:14 PM Reply   
The V8 will be fine. I town with my 08 lanscruiser no problem. Now my 98 FJ80 was no good for towing.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2016, 7:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelerWake View Post
The old tail wagging the dog problem. This is the time you wish the trailer brakes weren't surge activated and that you had an electric controller that allowed you to apply the trailer brakes when you wanted to.
Last year I got my first electronic brake controlled trailer. It sure is a huge improvement to surge.