Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cellmasss)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-20-2016, 9:56 AM Reply   
Ok fellas this is a loaded question so I will try and narrow it down a bit.
I want to get my first wakeboard boat. I don’t want to spend $100k. But want a cool look with high tech. I don’t need the pro level type boat like a master craft. But I don’t want to skimp on the technology end either.
I like the look of the Tiges and Pavatis. So what is a great buy if you were going to spend say $70k? I don’t mind used either.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-20-2016, 9:59 AM Reply   
What size boat you looking at ?
Old     (cellmasss)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-20-2016, 10:02 AM Reply   
Between 22 and 24 feet seem to be standard for these boats. So in that range is fine. I am up for most anything just not wanting to spend $100k plus.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-20-2016, 10:11 AM Reply   
Why technology? Water,sun+technology too me seems like a mess waiting to happen 10-15 years
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-20-2016, 10:31 AM Reply   
You can get a New well equipped Axis T-23 at that price. It is a beautiful boat with a pounding wake. As long as you stay away from colored bottoms and sparkles, it can have everything: Wedge, surfgate, Big Ballast at that price.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-20-2016, 10:44 AM Reply   
70k, new axis, as mentioned ^
3 year old wakesetter 23 LSV
tige, centrion, moomba have lots of options.

70k has tons of options and brands. We need more input. Do you want to surf a lot, wakeboard a lot, waterski? Will you be trailing, garage storing, dock slip? some boats fit in garages great, others are too tall. Some make terrible waterski wakes. How big of a crew do you think you'll have?
Old     (cellmasss)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-20-2016, 10:51 AM Reply   
Sorry its so open ended guys.

surfing part time, tubing, cruising, i want top end speed as well. no more than maybe 6 on the boat. Stored outdoors under cover. towed back and forth. I am NOT a pro surfer by no means so as far as the wake lets say average is fine but want features and good power.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-20-2016, 11:20 AM Reply   
If you're looking for top end speed then inboard tow boats and wake boats in particular, are the wrong thing to look at. You'll probably get 40mph tops. They come with big engines but are designed for pulling riders out of the water and moving lots of weight (7k + pounds) through the water at riding speeds, not for going fast.

Tubing and cruising would point to an i/o. And with the new "screw" type props, surfing is now safe to do behind some of the newer i/o boats designed for it.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-20-2016, 11:33 AM Reply   
agreed on the last comment, I don't see you finding a good wakeboat with much top end speed. with that said since it sounds like you don't need a big boat but still want tech, I would look at the smaller boats in the upper end boat lines b/c going down in size will save a lot of $. I don't know what they cost, but maybe something like a Supra SC, Malibu VTX etc... (especially if you can find a 2015 still at a dealer then can prob get it even cheaper). If you want the best wake at that price then Axis all the way, but don't think you will get a ton of tech. good luck
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-20-2016, 12:01 PM Reply   
This is a weird post. Never seen anybody so interested in tech on a boat
Old     (cellmasss)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-20-2016, 12:21 PM Reply   
Let me explain what i mean by tech. I seen some boats have touch screens allowing certain features to be controlled via the screen and some don't. That is what i was referring to.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2016, 1:04 PM Reply   
http://www.cobaltboats.com/our_boats...p#.VxfghNQ8KrU

http://bryantboats.com/boats/233X

Last edited by rexlex01; 04-20-2016 at 1:07 PM.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-20-2016, 7:28 PM Reply   
have you been on a vdrive boat before? I would drive one, make sure its even the right concept first. How fast is fast. 40 mph is screaming on just about any vdrive with the proper prop. you could under prop it, but it would ruin the reason for the design of these boats.

Where are you going? lake, river, big water? do you need to cover large areas? if so, vdrives are not going to be gas friendly at all, especially at 40 mph.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-20-2016, 7:37 PM Reply   
Can't really say you want top end if you want a wakeboard boat that throws massive wake. Only way you can really get top end is with either an I/o or direct drive. Vdrives, like mentioned before, have all their weight in the back and although the engine is big and powerful, it's more for torque and power than anything. It's like saying you want a diesel nascar. Just can't happen haha .... We just need to know what you plan on doing more.... Going fast across a massive lake or body of water, or cruisin with a boatload of people wake boarding or surfing.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       04-21-2016, 7:20 AM Reply   
Haha! Nailed it!
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       04-21-2016, 7:24 AM Reply   
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/5484195844.html

This ought to do the trick... Not another boat out there like it
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-21-2016, 7:36 AM Reply   
Ole boy wants a 70k iPad I think so he can control his stereo and ballast.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-21-2016, 7:51 AM Reply   
I was thinking the same thing. Sounded like he was describing an I/O that can surf. I just upgraded form a 20ft I/O to my 21.5ft V-drive. The I/O was much faster despite having lower HP. However my V-drive pulls wakeboarders much nicer.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-21-2016, 8:09 AM Reply   
Yep, his wants point to one of the forward drive I/O systems. I'd pick a Regal RX Surf for ride and handling ahead of the Cobalt or Bryant but they are all very good boats. Top speed is about 25% better but the real difference is in a usable fast cruising speed where this is about 1/3 better in an I/O. That's where it still gives you some fuel economy and not excessive noise.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-21-2016, 9:09 AM Reply   
I'd pick a Regal RX Surf for ride and handling ahead of the Cobalt "

and you would be out of your mind. The Regal doesn't even compare to a Cobalt.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-21-2016, 9:25 AM Reply   
What a hideous Xstar. with skis in the rack. WTF?

good luck with your search for technology. I hear those pavatis are loaded to the gills with it.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-21-2016, 9:32 AM Reply   
I've never understood the wanting to go fast on a boat.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-21-2016, 10:00 AM Reply   
Plus the Pavati isn't even near 100,000 either.... It well over that!
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       04-21-2016, 10:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinoj View Post
Haha! Nailed it!
FFFFffff when that boat's MSRP starts out at $135k
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       04-21-2016, 10:43 AM Reply   
You can get new Malibu or Supra under 100k.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-21-2016, 12:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by augie_09 View Post
I've never understood the wanting to go fast on a boat.
Probably because you never have been. Hauling ass in a boat is a lot of fun.
Old     (cellmasss)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-22-2016, 6:04 AM Reply   
Ok going fast is a ton of fun. Ride in an Eliminator once.

But i want more than just fast so i am trying to find a boat that gives me a bit of everything.
I do like the Natique and Supra boats. I am aware the Pavati is big money i just said i like the looks of the boat.
I think you all supplied me with allot of good feedback Thanks

J
Old     (2shay)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-23-2016, 10:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellmasss View Post
Ok fellas this is a loaded question so I will try and narrow it down a bit.
I want to get my first wakeboard boat. I don’t want to spend $100k. But want a cool look with high tech. I don’t need the pro level type boat like a master craft. But I don’t want to skimp on the technology end either.
I like the look of the Tiges and Pavatis. So what is a great buy if you were going to spend say $70k? I don’t mind used either.
If I were you I would look into sanger you can get a brand new one loaded for less than 70k. They are a solid boat and look very nice. MB would be another good bet but might have to buy used to stay under 70k. Of course you can never go wrong with any use of the big three correct craft, master craft, and malibu.
Old     (2step)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-25-2016, 8:33 AM Reply   
James, I sent you a message
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-26-2016, 1:38 PM Reply   
I've rode in an Eliminator a blown injected 90mph one and it was a ton of fun but the most impracticable boat I'e ever been on .
I agree with the post that said look into a Sanger . I think the most value for the buck is Sanger . We arent serious wakeboarders in my family but we would never be satisfied with a I/O boat . You just can beat the look or lay out of a V drive wakeboard boat .
Old     (EricU)      Join Date: May 2013       05-16-2016, 2:35 PM Reply   
Go test drive an Axis T23 - forget about top speed, put a killer stereo in it and enjoy life on the water.

I have had quite a few boats, what I love about my Axis is how easy it is to set up for either boarding or surfing - We fill the PNPs on the way out from the launch, have some extra lead and then flip a switch!

Doesn't get any easier.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-16-2016, 5:45 PM Reply   
If there's one thing I've learned is crossovers never do any of the things they're designed to do well. May do everything decent but nothing great. If You want to surf just throw down and get a good surf boat or with in half a summer you're gonna want a wave you'll never get on something that is faster or do it all boat. And surfing any boat requires a lot of weight. You can't carry all that weight without a different prop and your boat will do 30 to 35 mph tops. I suggest you pick your number one want and go that way. If it's surfing forget about fast
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-18-2016, 2:39 AM Reply   
http://collegestation.craigslist.org...582997091.html

This is in your price range
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       05-18-2016, 7:33 AM Reply   
I just want to warn you about wanting a touch screen. Yeah they're cool...but they can also be a major PITA! Once you get wet or greasy (from sunscreen) fingers, they become hard to use. One reason I went with the '16 G23 is because yeah, it has a factory touch screen, but it also has a mouse like knob to control all the functions of the screen as well. Plus, the more technology on a boat, the more that can go wrong. It sounds like you don't have a ton of experience with wake boats, but sometimes simplicity is great! If you don't know all the ins and outs, it can get rather confusing. With that said, I think some great first time wake boats in your price range are some slightly used models as mentioned above, Sanger, Axis (A-22 or A-24 or T-23 are all great boats), Malibu 23LSV, Mooma Mojo, or a Tige RZ2/RZ4/Z3. They will all suit your desires EXCEPT the speed thing...they'll all top out between 35-40mph so forget going too fast. Trust me, you won't miss the speed anyways.
Old     (EricU)      Join Date: May 2013       05-18-2016, 2:08 PM Reply   
I agree about not getting a touch screen, especially if you are buying used (i.e. No Warranty). Go price a replacement one from a dealer. I know they are not the same, but would you leave your IPad outside overnight by the pool after being in the sun all day?

One of the reasons that I got my Axis over another Tige was the surf gate and simplicity of running the boat. Hit the fill switch til the bags are overfilled, drop the center gate, hit the surf gate switch for either your regular (weirdos) or goofy riders.

And again, forget about the top speed on a wakeboard boat. Fill the boat with family or friends and turn on the stereo.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-18-2016, 8:04 PM Reply   
Simplicity is why I went with MB. That & surf wave