Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-12-2011, 7:16 AM Reply   
I was working on the boat today while it was on the lift and the back of the lift snapped all of a sudden. I am seriously lucky to be alive as I fell off the boat and it slid down the lift and just barely missed it. Anyways, the back went into the water with a lot of force snapping the platform off the brackets and water came pouring in over the transom. The entire transmission was under water and the the engine had water about half way up the manifolds. The pumps immediately kicked in and in about 20-30 minutes the water was out. My boat is kept in pure SALT WATER! Obviously the engine, even if it works in the short run, will now have mega long term problems. Anyone have any ideas on how I should handle this with the insurance company. The water boat was floating in the canal and i had to swim it back and tie it up so by the time I got everything finished I wasn't really able to get pictures of how high the water was.

The boat is an 06 X2 btw
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-12-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
Damm that's crazy glad the boat didn't pile drive you into the water or worse. Do you think the lift broke because of a defect or the boat was to heavy for the lift?
Just asking cause I was wondering, A. if you placed a boat that's weight was not recomemded for the lift and the lift broke I'm wondering if the insurance company would have a way out of not paying your claim'

or B. If the lift broke due to old age or a bad weld or what ever it would seem pretty straight forward as far as them getting you taken care of (paid) and back on the water.

But for Now I would ASAP get the boat out of the water on on a trailer and try and clean you engine inside and out as well as possable and spray some wd-40 type of oil on the motor to try and stop when ever salt water dammage could have happend from your motor taking a salt water bath. Then call your insurance company and start the claim process. There are things you can do NOW right away to help make sure your boats ok in the long run
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-12-2011, 8:10 AM Reply   
Its actually a 15,000 lb lift holding a 3500 lb boat. We put it in to be able to lift our 26 foot boat, so the weight is no issue. I'm hosing it all down with salt away now. GOing to put WD 40 all over etc. I just really hope my insurance company pulls through. I know that once a boat has been submerged in salt water like that, the problems will only start piling up : (
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-12-2011, 8:18 AM Reply   
I would contact both your boat insurer and home owners insurer (if different).
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-12-2011, 9:07 AM Reply   
did the strap going under the boat, or the cable attached to the strap break? or is that even the set up on your lift? how old is the lift, anything to document the age/weight capacity? is it your personal lift or a rented one? all that might help when with the insurance claim.

man, sorry about your bad luck! but you should give a little nod to the gods for watching your back on that one!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-12-2011, 9:25 AM Reply   
If it is a newer lift that broke because of a defect could the lift company be liable?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-12-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
This may sound riduculous but why not just wash the **** out of it? its the only thing in my mind that would work.

I also remember watching something on tv about a damn that they used copper or something to attract the positive charge from the salt? some crap like that. Should have payed better attention in Chemistry.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2011, 11:48 AM Reply   
Holy crap, that would be a helluva ride!

I'd second the WD-40, douche it really good.... EVERYTHING.

I would expect the starter & alternator to go out, usually in a few months in fresh water. Maybe sooner because of the salt water.
Good luck
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-12-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
If you're interested in saving the engine, get it started and heated up ASAP. you should have a whole lot of water penetration in the short time it was submerged.

If you have oil in the water, drain it all out and flush with diesel. glad you're ok
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       05-12-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
That sucks Manny, sorry to hear about it.
So is there water in the oil? Have you started it up? My Prostar had a swamped starter motor for probably 18hrs once and it didn't go out, kept working.
Like others said, best is to get it fired up and up to temp to dry everything out (engine internals, trans, etc).
BTW, don't know which parts of your swim deck broke, but if you have some extra parts around after getting it fixed back up, I need a set of swim deck brackets (the long ones, not the ones on the transom) for an 06 X2. I'll buy them.
Old     (iliketowakealot)      Join Date: May 2011       05-12-2011, 1:22 PM Reply   
How's the boat running now? Did the water level go above the spark plugs? I've got the 2006 200ss and had that happen with rainwater (forgot to take out the plug and bilge pumps didnt kick on) Anyways, never had a problem. Boat engines and its components are built to withstand water...thats why you cant really replace them with auto parts. I agree, run the boat at temp for a while to dry everything out.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-12-2011, 2:11 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys. I hosed down the whole engine with salt away and sprayed boeshield T9 all over it. My 2 rear ballast pumps are not working and I haven't started up the engine. How can I check to see if there is water in the oil? The insurance company told me to get it to my dealer, so that is what I will do tomorow. My worry is that they will just get it up and running but after being submerged in salt, that engine will never be the same.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-12-2011, 2:17 PM Reply   
Here are some pics of the lift
Attached Images

Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2011, 3:02 PM Reply   
I would just change the oil. You'll know if there water in the oil when you can look at it in the pan. It won't be a milk shake yet though because it hasn't been mixed (when it runs).
And I wouldn't start the engine till you pull the plugs & blow any water in the cylinders out..... or your risk a cracked block. Water doesn't compress.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-12-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
1) Take pictures of everything but don't wait!!! Flush all fluids and wash the crap out of it. >>>>>>Mitigation
2) Get that thing started and warmed up after clearing the cylinders of water.
3) CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY
4 I would suggest an inspection and continued consult by an independent local surveyor of whom you have confidence in. The idea is to make you whole. Not settle. Sea water is a very good electrolyte and corrosion issues run galaxies beyond what the average sweet water boater can comprehend. Especially when charged batteries are involved.
I am currently involved in a very late model high end 38' sport cruiser that was launched without a drain plug and flooded the machinery space aft, much like you scenario. There are two insurance companies and three surveyors involved. The boat was wet for < 1 hour started and run and we are still pushing the 30K mark to make the boat whole. I represent the owner and have to keep going back to make sure everything is done just right. It takes time and money and experience. Get some help,
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-12-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
I personally wouldn't worry about trying to find out if there is water in the oil. I would just change it and all other fluids anyway. That is cheap insurance.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       05-13-2011, 5:42 AM Reply   
I would suggest taking it to a shop and having them flush and run the motor. That way there will be no questions about the insurance company saying you caused more damage.

Glad you are OK.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-13-2011, 6:38 AM Reply   
Agreed, change ALL fluids and pull the plugs. Then its just a waiting game. Try to stay busy and keep your mind off of it.. Maybe work on some brackets for the deck :/
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-13-2011, 7:07 AM Reply   
Assuming this was a salt water series boat, your wiring shouldbe OK, but that would be my biggest concern. Alternators, coils, computer modules, etc, could be a real issue here. If you get your insurance co involved, make sure they replace these parts or indemnify you for future issues. I'd seriously speak with a lawyer about the lift- that sounds like a serious liability issue. Was it professionally installed? May want to have a chat with the installer too.... wow good luck.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-13-2011, 8:23 AM Reply   
Get a mechanic on it immediately your insurance company is going to pay the costs.