Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-05-2011, 4:57 PM Reply   
Friend is looking seriously at a 2004 X-Star and had a couple of questions. The original board racks seem to be in rough shape and not a great design. Do people replace them with aftermarket, and if so which ones?

Also one of the fenders on the trailer needs replaced and the dealer said $700. Is that about right or are there better options here as well?

Anything else to look at closely with this year of X-Star?

Thanks!
Old    mojo            03-05-2011, 6:44 PM Reply   
I assume it's an mc fiberglass fender trailer? If so glass work isn't that easy. I'd say to seller fix it and you've got a deal, assuming the rest is ok. An 04 single axle mc trailer can't be worth much more than 1k. If the 04s have spinner racks I'd say your set. Have the seller replace the foam if that's what is messed up. Those are great racks if same as my 05. check oil, fuel level(half or more with stab il. Compression test, and by all means have hubs checked before taking home. Oil baths suck. Check gauges work, ballast pumps fill and empty, perfect pass working, clean prop, and cover condition.

Last edited by mojo; 03-05-2011 at 6:47 PM.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-05-2011, 7:00 PM Reply   
Thanks!

Yeah, MC fiberglass trailer. I'm not sure if the dealer would attempt to repair or just replace it.

No, not spinner racks... I'll try to find a pic.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-05-2011, 7:03 PM Reply   
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-06-2011, 8:23 PM Reply   
Those racks were only made for one year before they switched to the current design. I have not known anyone to have good luck with these at all.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-06-2011, 8:43 PM Reply   
That's kinda what I figured. Any idea what people are doing for replacements?
Old     (wakenymph)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-07-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
The racks can definitely be replaced. Menace board racks by Star One Wake are awesome. The have fixed mount, spinners, and lift offs.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-07-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
michelle

you sure those menance racks fit the 2003 MC whole patterns? i'm pretty skeptical.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-07-2011, 7:36 PM Reply   
From what I know, you either pay the ridiculous MC price for those racks or you have to find something else to work for you. I saw a picture a few years ago of an early x-star that had some racks bolted on that perfectly lined up with some holes that were machined in the tower. I think that may have been the next revision from this tower, though.
Old    mojo            03-07-2011, 9:04 PM Reply   
The spinner racks are the best period. Make life simpler especially with a lot of people out. No standing on side dealing with hungers and high angles
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-09-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
Does anyone know of a board rack that will ft this tower? Mojo how would you get spinners to work? Replace that whole tower leg?
Old    mojo            03-09-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
just get an 05 x-2.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-09-2011, 3:51 PM Reply   
Unfortunately you are stuck with those racks on that tower unless you want to custom fab something or mount aftermarket ones really high or really far forward. I think I would try and find a rack that either fits the holes for those racks or a rack that you can just drill through that plate and mount on.

How about something like this? You could maybe drill a hole and tap it to screw the rack in. Then it would fit flush with the plate and removeable.
http://onlyinboards.com/AccessorySho...oard-Rack.aspx

Another option is to use a rack like these and then drill/tap 4 holes so that you have 4 small allen bolts securing the rack to the plate. With either of these setups you would basically ditch the clamp and mount directly to the plate on the tower.
http://onlyinboards.com/AccessorySho...-Rack-(1).aspx

I guess there is another option. See what a set of the new clamp Mastercraft racks cost, just the fingers and see if there is a way to fix those to that plate on the tower. This would look and work the best but the fingers are probably a couple hundred a piece.

Last edited by polarbill; 03-09-2011 at 3:54 PM.