Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (flienlow)      Join Date: Dec 2015       01-07-2016, 1:35 PM Reply   
I found a really clean older boat. its a 2003 CENTURION ELITE V AIR WARRIOR. Anyone have experience with these boats? The boat only has 85 hrs on it, per the the seller is basically brand new. While not a great surf or WB boat, I am wondering for it it would be good enough for 23K?

Thoughts?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-08-2016, 4:31 AM Reply   
Depends on where it's stored. A boat sitting that long with so little use may have all sorts of dried out rubber hoses and other things. But the short answer is he'll yes that's a great price a great starter vdrive and it'll surf well with a ton of ballast.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-08-2016, 11:58 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 and bought it new at the end of that season. It has been a very reliable boat. I have about 500hrs on it now and other than standard maintenance, no major problems. The upholstery is original and is starting to show its age a bit but not too bad. As for the wakeboard wake, it is good enough. It does not take too much weight to sink the boat. 250 + in each rear locker and 200 in the bow, hydraulic tab all the way up and it produces a decent vert wake that is clean around 21mph. For a surf wave, you really have to sink the back to just about the rub rail and the trim tab at 1/4 down. I re-propped to an acme 3 blade for better hole shot. The boat has lots of room for being 21.5 ft, has a deep free board and is really good in rough water. $23K is a good deal in the summer but not in the winter. just my .02 worth. Good luck with your decision
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-10-2016, 7:49 PM Reply   
Let me preface this by saying I owned two of these exact boats. The boat "hull" itself is more of a multi sport hull. It skis, wakeboards, and surfs It's doesn't excel at any one, but it is average at Wakeboarding , not the best 21ft surf boat, but skis way above average for a 21ft v drive. It's about the roomiest 21ft v drive you will find in that price range. The boat handles chop very well and it's construction is sturdy as all heck. Everyone will stay high and dry from the bow all the way to the stern cruising across the lake. Storage is huge for that era especially when compared to the same era Super Air Nautique or X star. It has snap out carpet which was way ahead of its time. I would make sure it has the hydraulic wake plate. This hull needs the Bennette trim tab, it's a must have and personally would never tell anyone to own this hull without it.

Some of the negatives(very few)

The wakeboard wake is mediocre. It is very limited. It will get you wire and allow you to learn the basic inverts, so you're good to go there, but to get to those advanced level tricks and when stacked up next tongue big 3 of that era you will easily see why it's average. The Merc engines were prone to warped exhaust manifolds which led to manifold gasket issues. And the vinyl was on the lower end side, but all company's has issues in those years.

All in all its a great family , all around do everything boat. It's got great gelcoat history and had some of the best spray lines in the industry at that time. Having a boat sitting that long though with minimal use can present some quirks and issues. I can almost guarantee it will need manifold seals for sure. I would be curious on here it's been stored and it's history. I would say 23k is very high for this boat. It should be more in sub 20k range even if mint just for the risk alone.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-10-2016, 8:41 PM Reply   
Oh also. Like mentioned above. This boat loves the Acme 3 blade over any of their 4's. I don't recall the exact prop number maybe 941????? But the Merc engine and tranny combo , along with the hull produce a better, cleaner wake with the 3-blade.