Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-01-2012, 7:51 AM Reply   
I know it's been discussed a million times before, but I just came across this:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...5#.T_BgwxB5mSM

From my research, traditional battery isolaters have voltage drop issues due to the diodes. The consensus seems to be using a Perko switch with multiple battery setups yields the most efficient setup.

The problem is...I'm lazy and forgetful, and I just don't like the idea of it.

So the specs on the above unit says that there is zero voltage drop due to the digital design! That seems promising.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-01-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
I did not study in depth all its features and specs, so is just a "at first glance" opinion, but it looks like a more expensive and more elaborate version of an ACR/VSR from someone like BEP, Blue Sea or Sure Power.
Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-01-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
As long as it will do what it advertises, I'm in! I'd love to have the simplicity of one of these, provided it will not have any voltage loss (that's the problem I see with most units). Where's Polar Bill?! :-)
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-01-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
There isn't anything simpler than a good old fashioned switch...any reason you are not considering one?
Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-01-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
Just having to switch back and forth when starting, running around the lake and when stopped in a cove for long periods seems lIke a hassle.

It just seems silly that with all the technology in the world, they haven't solved this archaic problem. I mean, I am posting this on a form and discussing this problem with people from around the world...from my phone...while sitting in my truck on the side of the road, yet there isn't any electronic component that can split my alternator's current to the battery that needs it without wasting 1 volt in the process?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-01-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
It just seems silly that with all the technology in the world, they haven't solved this archaic problem
Ummmmm, it has been solve, for years. Auto-combiner/isolators have been used on boats OEM from the factory and installed by stereo shops for years. Rotate the switch from off to to on when you hit the water and return it to off at the end of the day. For the large boats like cruisers, I think they have power switches controlled from the helm, that will combine or isolate the batteries if one engine's cranking is dead and you needed to start that engine with the other cranking.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-01-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
I agree with Mike. It has been solved. Mike designed and sold me a simple, cost effective solution using a switch (that I only need to basically turn on at the beginning of the day and off at the end) and an automatic charging relay which I do not believe robs the system of any voltage.
Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-02-2012, 5:53 AM Reply   
Interesting...so these new ACR's have solved the problems of the past. Glad to hear it.

Any recommended brands? Knowing my luck, I'd pick the one that happens to be the old style...lol

Also, for shore charging, can I leave the ACR hooked up and charge each bank using a multi-bank charger? Or am I better off disconnecting each battery and charging each individually?