Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-30-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
Recently installed a ws420 and now I get noise through all the in boat speakers and towers. Aside from replacing RCA's and maybe checking the routing of them for noise is there anything else it could be?
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       05-30-2012, 7:54 PM Reply   
make sure you have a solid ground on the 420... i do believe that because the 420 has a 5v output, the signal is stronger, thus amplifying what ever minimal noise (gain hiss) you may have had before.
Old     (dpauly84)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-30-2012, 8:43 PM Reply   
I get feedback through my speakers from having the car charger plugged into the mp3 player or phone, whichever is playing the music.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-30-2012, 9:04 PM Reply   
Can u describe the noise.
Is it a constant white noise/ hiss. Does it go up and down with volume, does it get louder when u give boat throttle?

The 420 will give u a bit of a white noise/hiss that is noticeable from your speakers that stays constant. You can adjust your gains down to combat it. However it will never completely go away. Wetsounds states this is normal as its in open air so you really can't tell.....its a common complaint but its the tradeoff for adjustability I guess.
Old     (bushtree)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-30-2012, 9:47 PM Reply   
I just installed a new stereo (although Exile ZLD) and am having the same issue. Mine is a constant whine if you will. It is only present when the engine is running. If the motor is off, no whine exists.

With motor running, the whine is present in all in boat speakers and the tower (2 different amps).

When music is playing you can not notice the whine, however when the volume is turned down or the song ends and there is a couple seconds pause before the next song starts it is quite noticeable.

All 3 of my amplifiers and Exile ZLD share the same ground point. The amplifiers have a common power source. The ZLD gets power from an unused accessory switch on the dash from the factory. The head unit power&ground is from the factory harness.

My next change is to switch the HU to ground to the common amplifier ground point, and change the HU ignition wire to the same switch as the ZLD and amplifier remote turn on leads. (will make it so my stereo doesn't cut out when turing the ignition key)

Is the location of power source important? or is it mainly just having a common ground?
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-30-2012, 11:21 PM Reply   
Evening guys.. Just taking a late night read through the forums and came across this thread.

07launch - suggest disconnecting the the inputs on your 420 and directly drive an iPod into the aux input--> thru your 420--> down stream to your amplifiers. This will help you isolate your problem. If its an RCA or deck thats creating the problem the noise will go away. If its related to the 420 itself then the noise will remain. The problem has to do with cascading a system with two much gain and then driving it thru speaker systems that are ultra efficient --- like HLCDs. You should not have noise. I'm not going to make a distinction as to what ws tech support said or didn't in an open air environment. But I will say, you should not have noise if your system is setup correct and all the gear is functioning correctly.

Bushtree- Your ZLD problem is a different one all together. You're getting a whine because of the way your power and ground is setup. This should be easily remedied by wiring your power wire to the same location as your head unit. and your remote wire connected to the triggered output wire of your head unit and not an accessory switch. Yes its great you have solid grounds. But the issue is...that your grabbing power from the helm area and not the head unit. make these changes and you will have better results. Shoot me a PM if any further trouble shooting is required. Happy to help if needed.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-31-2012, 6:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinpdx View Post
Bushtree- Your ZLD problem is a different one all together. You're getting a whine because of the way your power and ground is setup. This should be easily remedied by wiring your power wire to the same location as your head unit. and your remote wire connected to the triggered output wire of your head unit and not an accessory switch. Yes its great you have solid grounds. But the issue is...that your grabbing power from the helm area and not the head unit. make these changes and you will have better results. Shoot me a PM if any further trouble shooting is required. Happy to help if needed.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Bushtree, listen to what Brian's telling you (he obviously knows what he's talking about). Not grabbing power from your helm area is the first thing I learned and tried to remember when I installed my ZLD. Exile has a video on their website for a Zld install and Brian speaks about not stealing power from under the helm. I ran my power back over to the battery and amp compartment and I have no hiss/whine at all. Try it and you'll see.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-31-2012, 6:26 AM Reply   
Andrew,

Did you reset the amp's gains during the WS-420 install? There is a great tutorial that you can view/download from the Wet Sounds website that outlines how to set the amp gains when installing a device like the WS-420. Do this first and report back.
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-31-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
I ran the WS-420 power through a relay and have NO white noise/hiss (when the boat is on/off), perhaps this could help remedy the issue?
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-31-2012, 5:59 PM Reply   
The noise is a hiss that is present whether the boat is running or not, it does not get louder with higher volume, in fact when the volume is higher you can't notice the hiss as much.

I set all the gains and crossovers on the amps according to Wetsounds instructions that came with the ws420. The ws420 shares the same power and ground that the headunit does.

The noise is also noticeable in both the towers (pro 60's) and the in boat speakers (kicker km6000).
Old    mojo            05-31-2012, 7:19 PM Reply   
FYI- with a 420(at least the generation 1) you don't even have to turn the gains on at all to get good sound, so if it's apples to apples with your 420 try very minimal gain adjustments. Are your rca's shielded?
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-31-2012, 7:26 PM Reply   
My ws420 is the newer generation that doesn't have the gains on it.