Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-29-2011, 4:59 PM Reply   
I've always loved older trucks and have been putting some serious consideration into pulling the trigger on one.

I am primarily looking at chev... anywhere between 1970 and 1987, anything mid 70's and newer I would likely try and go for 4wd. Most everything I am looking at is your normal 350 small block. I have seen some 3/4 tons, some 4 speed manual, and even found a very nice mainly original 1970 C10 with a factory 396 ci.

Who has experience towing with a older rig?? Should I go manual trans?? thoughts on 3/4 ton in these older trucks?? engine size?? 2 wd gonna be a issue on the launch (dont tow the boat much, mainly sits on a lift)?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-29-2011, 5:17 PM Reply   
I would say go look at an early 90's F250 with the 7.3L engine....not sure if thats old enough for what you want, but those trucks are awesome. You find a clean one, and itll last you forever.
Old    SamIngram            04-29-2011, 6:19 PM Reply   
It doesn't get much better than this for an old school tow vehicle.
http://bit.ly/jqoVRw
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-29-2011, 6:27 PM Reply   
There's no reason not to tow with an older truck if that's what you like. In many ways they were more solid performers than trucks today, and a heck of a lot less to go wrong. My dad towed a 30' travel trailer for close 20 years with a '72 3/4 ton Suburban because he loved that truck, it's all in knowing how to set up the vintage stuff. There's no benefit to having a manual trans unless it's what you like, the old man had a hd thm400 trans in that thing and never had an issue.

My son-in-law just picked up an '87 3/4t suburban w/ 454 for $1000 and it's darn near immaculate.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-29-2011, 6:44 PM Reply   
I don't tow w/ an old truck but I do with a 2wd and it's never been a problem. I have a limited slip differential though which I credit most of my wet ramp success to. A 2wd w/ and open rear diff is essentially 1wd in a low traction situation. A 4x4 w/ open diffs is essentially 2wd in the same situation.

So, a 2wd w/ LSD or even better a locker would be perform much the same as your typical open diff 4x4 accept for the lack of low range gearing. A 4x4 w/ LSDs or lockers would be the ultimate for all low traction ramp situations but you pay more for the vehicle and more for gas to haul that extra running gear around the rest of the time.

If you find a 2wd that you fall in love with you could just plan on throwing in an electric or cable actuated locker in the rear diff ($800-1,000?) if you have issues on wet ramps.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       04-29-2011, 7:47 PM Reply   
I towed with an 88 suburban 3/4 ton. Same body style and chassis as 87 truck. They did not change the body and chassis on the suburbans until later on.

It did fine. It is more comfortable towing with our diesel, but my wife was driving the suburban too much and I wanted another vehicle capable of towing our boat..

We added a tranny cooler for the TH350 and an oil cooler but we towed in the hills.

I would go 4wd, but that is how I am.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-29-2011, 10:02 PM Reply   
Check out this one... it's in my neighborhood, and it's sweet!

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/2352701912.html

Old    SamIngram            04-29-2011, 10:07 PM Reply   
For that kind of money I'd go with a 12 valve or this

http://bit.ly/kFPMda
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-30-2011, 5:41 AM Reply   
I definantly don't want a "kinda" old truck... I'm talking the newest I would possiby go is the 1987 chev before they switched body styles. My year range is late 1960's to 1987.

A big concern is slipping and sliding on the launch if I go 2wd, I honestly can't remember if I just automatically put my last truck in 4wd at the launch to avoid spinning all together or not. Like posted above, the axel setup will be a big deciding factor there.
Old     (samgreazy)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-30-2011, 5:47 AM Reply   
1996 Ford F-350 7.3 L powerstroke, banks turbo, intercooler, intake, and 3" exhaust. She's a beast
Attached Images

Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-30-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
I towed with old trucks back when they were new. Now I'm the one who's old.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       04-30-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycejb328 View Post
I definantly don't want a "kinda" old truck... I'm talking the newest I would possiby go is the 1987 chev before they switched body styles. My year range is late 1960's to 1987.

A big concern is slipping and sliding on the launch if I go 2wd, I honestly can't remember if I just automatically put my last truck in 4wd at the launch to avoid spinning all together or not. Like posted above, the axel setup will be a big deciding factor there.
Again, if SUV is in the cards, look into 88-91 Suburbans. They are the OLD body style, chassis, etc. The nice thing is they are HUGE inside and can carry tons of stuff.
Old     (MikeyG)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-30-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
I have an OLD truck that I use strictly for towing the boat. It's a 2wd 84 Chevy C20 with a built 350, 4 speed manual trans, and an 8 ft bed. I had some issues slipping at the ramp last yr but I got some new tires and now it's great. Keep in mind that I am probably towing a much smaller boat than you are. Mastercraft Prostar 190. The truck does NOT have a power issue at all - especially with that low granny gear. I can almost tow the boat out of the water without giving it any gas! If I had to choose - I would get a 4x4. You can find them all over the place so why not? You may or may not need it.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-30-2011, 5:58 PM Reply   
I used to tow with this. An E-350, one ton desiel conversion van. I think it had the 6.6 in it. It felt like driving a school bus, boy do I miss her.
Attached Images

Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-30-2011, 6:15 PM Reply   
I have a 1989 87,000 mile 3/4 ton Suburban with a 454 that I use as my tow vehicle. Built like a tank back then.....
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-01-2011, 7:16 AM Reply   
We towed with a 4x4 1976 Jimmy for years.. Get one where the whole top comes off behind the windshield & it'll be a sweet tow vehicle man.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-01-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
My brother used to tow my boat with his 1969 Ford F100 or something. The brakes sucked (drums). The 2wd was really lame, it would always spin out at the gravel launch we use most. At that point I was really poor but sometimes we'd have to hook my Jeep up to the front of his tuck and both pull to get the boat out. The power sucked, too. Fully floored it had problems going up steeper hills.

He later built a 390 for it and it towed perfectly but the brakes still sucked and it was still a 2wd.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-01-2011, 4:30 PM Reply   
Well I don't consider my truck old, but I suppose most would. It's an '86 F-250 4x4 originally a 351w/C6 truck. It now has a SAS to Dana 60 up fornt, 4" lift, 35" tires, swapped to 460 and ZF5, locked 10.25" rear. It does everything I need it to for a fraction o the price of a new truck, is more reliable, and cheaper to maintain. Tows my Saltare great and does about 10 MPG at 70 MPH towing. Not too bad for a lifted big block.

If you go with a 2WD truck definitely get a locker. No reason to spend money on a selectable locker in the rear. Either do a lunchbox if you want cheap+easy or a Detroit. Whether you need it really depends on the ramp. Here we have a lot of steep ramps and ride a tidal river, so as the tide goes down you have a steep wet ramp to deal with that is often littered with debris from the tide swing. The advantage to a manual transmission is simplicity and reliability. No heat issues, no fluid cooling system or pressurized lines to leak, and better MPG. Not a huge deal either way, but if you go with an automatic get the biggest stacked plate cooler you can find. Heat will toast the clutch packs and bands in an automatic real quick. A manual can heat up a lot while towing but is far less affected by it.

Personally if you're looking at gassers I wouldn't even consider a small block. Doa big block, whether it be a Chevy 454 or a Ford 460 or even 390/428. Towing with a small block sucks and is miserable, which is why I build a 460 for my truck. I considered doing a 7.3 IDI swap but I'm not that familiar with diesels so stuck with what I know. If I were to do a diesel I'd stay IDI for simplicity and reliability. No computers or sensors to break and leave you stranded.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-01-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
One other note, if you go 60s or early 70s truck, it may have drum brakes on the front axle. Not a big deal normally but for towing you might want to doa disk brake conversion so they deal with the heat better. When drums get hot you can stand on them for all you're worth and they won't do a thing, or will sometimes grab one side and pull one way or the other. I've daily driven many vehicles with drum brakes and they're fine, just not great for towing.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-01-2011, 7:46 PM Reply   
I tow with a 1996 Tahoe 2dr. While not really that old...it is 16 years old right now, and I have zero intention of getting rid of it in the next 10 years. It is older than some of the ppl posting here though, so that counts for something. Lol
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
My goal is to buy a mid 60's suburban and put a diesel in it. Found one on CL a while ago that was a 63 with a 454 in it. The guy also had airbags in the back for towing. Needed a paint job but that can be done. I'm just one of those people that if I had the money ( which I don't ) to buy a brand new truck off a lot I'd rather customize and old truck and have a way cooler ride.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-02-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
My brothers 79 F100 4x4. Tows great for the short haul. But doesn't get great mileage & tough to seat more than 3 in it.

Old    sperbet            05-02-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Just bought a 75 Ford F350 this winter. 4x4 with a 460 and a C6. I'm in the process of doing a minor restoration and the boat is still in storage so I haven't towed with it yet, but pretty sure it's going to pull like a beast.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-02-2011, 10:21 AM Reply   
That's a sweet looking set-up right there.

60's-70's trucks tow fine. Depending on what you do with it or how far you want to tow you may want to consider a few things.... Lowered trucks usually need air-bags. A 350 is vastly better than a 283. A TH-350 will get the job done, but needs a trans cooler added.

Have fun... I've thought about getting an old truck for a while. Only downside is towing on a 100 degree day without many amenities. I supposed you could do a nice A/C system, but the reg cab (that most have) is limiting when you want to roll to the lake with your crew.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-02-2011, 10:21 AM Reply   
Great replies everyone.

@ bill... your borther has a pretty cool set-up!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-02-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
Sorry... My response is all Chevy based. FWIW
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-02-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
With my current situation, I dont tow more than 3-4 times a year as it usually sits on a lift and gets pulled out of water for a cleaning or the family camping trip or something like that, so it doesnt have to be perfect tow vehicle... just needs to get the job done on occasion.

This is one of my current prospects.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...353257268.html
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-02-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
Thanks Bryce,
I think it's a great looking rig. But when he comes to my place he realizes the short comings of using his old Ford as a tow rig. The C10 you listed is on the same level, good lookin truck, but small cab, 2WD, wouldn't want to hurt that wood bed, etc. Considering your situation it would probably do just fine. But what about takin the boat & goin camping or to an event of some kind?

Like someone else said, a limited slip rear will keep the truck pullin up slimy ramps easier. Or a 4WD truck might give you more options to use. Plus it would be usable in the winter for other things.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-02-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
4WD is the way to go. You're in MN, why would you even consider a 2WD truck?

Name:  chevy truck.jpg
Views: 36938
Size:  24.6 KB

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/cl...ationId=455638
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-02-2011, 12:47 PM Reply   
Screw a "limited slip".. On a cheap old truck - we're welding the diffs.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-02-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
I definitely wouldn't buy/install a limited slip but it works well enough if the truck comes with one that's not already shot. If the truck is a daily driver you're gonna kill your rear tires on concrete with a welded differential and it will be inclined to push straight through turns.
Old    SamIngram            05-02-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
I drove a CJ-5 for three years with full spools in the front the rear and an AMC 401 pushing 500+ horsepower... you get use to it!
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-02-2011, 2:33 PM Reply   
I tow with a 1992 Chevy 3/4 4X4, drives just fine, tows just fine, doesn’t look new, but it does the job just right, best part is i don’t have any monthly payments
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-02-2011, 3:28 PM Reply   
I made it throught one of the snowiest winters in MN histroy with a mazda 3 wagon ;-)

I would likely throw this truck in storage during winter, I have no use for a truck in the winter.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-02-2011, 5:49 PM Reply   
I had a 1991 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. Logged 425,000 miles on it. At least half of those miles were towing something. I never had any major repairs on this truck and although it burned some oil in the later days of its life, it was the best truck I have ever had. I will tell you that the brakes on that truck were HORRIBLE. I tried everything from different rotors to more aggressive pads but that thing always scared me when I had to quickly come to a stop.
Attached Images

Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-03-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
1979 GMC Crew cab one ton 4x4 with 4" lift. 400 Small block with cam and headers......
Attached Images

Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-03-2011, 11:43 AM Reply   
2001 7.3 diesel $9700. 17 mpg, what kind of milage are you guys getting with old lifted carburated big blocks??? Unless you get a sweet deal, like restoring old trucks, or have a short drive to launch, why? I like my anti-lock brakes and airbags to keep my family safe.
Attached Images

Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-03-2011, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinator View Post
2001 7.3 diesel $9700. 17 mpg, what kind of milage are you guys getting with old lifted carburated big blocks??? Unless you get a sweet deal, like restoring old trucks, or have a short drive to launch, why? I like my anti-lock brakes and airbags to keep my family safe.
I get 10 MPG towing at 70-75 MPH with my '86 lifted 460 one ton Supercab. Truck weighs in at just shy of 6000 lbs, boat+trailer around 5000 lbs. Without lift and big tires, add 2-3 MPG. Not bad for a gasser.

If I was doing an all out towing MPG build I would have gone with a 545. I'll spare the gory details of how I would do such a build (unless anyone is interested), but I would expect mid-high teens for towing MPG.

As for why I prefer an older vehicle? Reliability. I need my vehicles to just plain work every time I get in them. I tried fuel injection and computer whatnot... it doesn't compare. Simplicity is beauty is reliability. Keep it simple and things just work. In the obscenely rare event that there is a problem, it can usually be fixed in a couple minutes with some basic hand tools. I refuse to be stranded on the side of the road with a shop manual and a multimeter, walking to a parts store because some sensor decided to bite the dust, and spending a fortune on specialty tools and diagnostic equipment.

The other reason for driving an older vehicle is completely subjective... That is styling. I think most 90s and up trucks are fugly, same for more mid 70s and up cars. Some people think they look nice though. To each his own.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-03-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
If I was doing an all out towing MPG build I would have gone with a 545. I'll spare the gory details of how I would do such a build (unless anyone is interested), but I would expect mid-high teens for towing MPG.
I would like details on how you are going to get that milage out of that beast of an engine.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       05-03-2011, 1:22 PM Reply   
Melvin, did you change out the headlights on the your 2001? or did you buy it that way?
Old    SamIngram            05-03-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
1. Please point out where we can find trucks similar to yours for less than $10K.
2. Are you implying that someone's usage of an older truck to tow their boat is not safe?
3. I can change the spindle bearings on my old 1985 K30 for about $200 for the entire front axle. It will cost you at least $500 per side because they are non-service item and you have to replace the entire unit. When it's time I would use the Dynatrac unit. When did you do yours last? I did mine last week.
4. I can tune the piss out of a 350, 454, and a 460. I have no idea how to tune a diesel engine.
5. When the 454 in my truck has a problem 100 miles from no where I can make the thing run and get my family off the side of the road.

So unless you are towing your boat every day I can't figure out why a diesel is necessary, better, safer, etc.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-03-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
I get 10 MPG towing at 70-75 MPH with my '86 lifted 460 one ton Supercab. Truck weighs in at just shy of 6000 lbs, boat+trailer around 5000 lbs. Without lift and big tires, add 2-3 MPG. Not bad for a gasser.

As for why I prefer an older vehicle? Reliability. I need my vehicles to just plain work every time I get in them. I tried fuel injection and computer whatnot... it doesn't compare. Simplicity is beauty is reliability. Keep it simple and things just work. In the obscenely rare event that there is a problem, it can usually be fixed in a couple minutes with some basic hand tools. I refuse to be stranded on the side of the road with a shop manual and a multimeter, walking to a parts store because some sensor decided to bite the dust, and spending a fortune on specialty tools and diagnostic equipment.

The other reason for driving an older vehicle is completely subjective... That is styling. I think most 90s and up trucks are fugly, same for more mid 70s and up cars. Some people think they look nice though. To each his own.
Any Chevy built in the last 10 yrs with the 5.3 & at least 3.73 gears (but preferably 4.10s) will rack up those mileage #s, loaded up. And will be ultra-reliable. My own Avalanche, my brothers Suburban, or my buddies Silverado to name a few.

And I get get in & out of a parking lot, much less a parking garage.

Anyone notice that black stepside has the bed from a much newer truck on an older chassis? Looks pretty slick. Seems like it would be a good tow rig & get in & out of trouble pretty easily.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 05-03-2011 at 3:02 PM.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-03-2011, 3:47 PM Reply   
I had a beautiful 2001 Ram 2500 CTD, I used too tow often (i had a travel trailer). Couldnt justify keeping it for the short trips.

Grew up pulling grain wagons behind a 77 chev half ton and also had a old 67 c10 as a fuel truck on our farm. Never had a problem stopping those on a gravel road as very young kid. I think I can handle a boat behind a old truck on a paved road at 26 ;-).

I want to do it for the simple fact that I think the "old" trucks are cool, sounds like a truck, feels like a truck, rides like a truck.. etc... and I like that.

If it was a dedicated tow vehicle... I could see it being a little impractical for ME. But as noted by plenty, works great for them
Old    SamIngram            05-03-2011, 4:14 PM Reply   
I would love to tow my boat with this truck! It's on ebay now!

1957 Chevrolet 3100 Extended Cab 4WD.

Completely frame off restored in 2009. Truck is originally a 1/2 ton, Heavily modified truck sitting on 2000 Chevrolet 3/4 ton 4X4 chassis with a 6.0L Vortec V8, set up for 5th wheel, towing package, full back seat, front bucket seats with console, A/C, heat, CD player, power steering, power brakes, 4 wheel disc brakes, new glass, cruise control, daytime running lights plus complete stereo sound system. All the luxury of a new vehicle with the looks of a classic!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-03-2011, 5:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
Any Chevy built in the last 10 yrs with the 5.3 & at least 3.73 gears (but preferably 4.10s) will rack up those mileage #s, loaded up. And will be ultra-reliable. My own Avalanche, my brothers Suburban, or my buddies Silverado to name a few.

And I get get in & out of a parking lot, much less a parking garage.
Maybe so, but turning a higher RPM with those 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 gears. More wear and tear. Aside from that... How much more would that new Chevy cost and how much gas would it burn? Would insurance cost more? Where is the break even point in towing miles? How many years to reach that? Even with all that aside, good luck having a quick fix on the side of the road. When vehicles break down it's usually electronics or sensors.

That being said, I don't have any trouble with my truck in parking lots or garages.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-03-2011, 7:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
I would like details on how you are going to get that milage out of that beast of an engine.
Quick off the top of my head build for mid teens towing MPG...
80-97 F-250/350 standard cab 2wd SRW
460 .030" over + 4.5" stroke crank for 545
Pick your rods, 6.8" don't care
Dish pistons to hit 9.5:1 static compression (maybe more, we can tweak this for dynamic ratio with cam)
Trick Flow streets, ported and Singh grooves
Comp XE 278/288 cam
Weiand Stealth (unsure of this, big dual plane vs. small single plane... Boarderline for these cubes)
Holley 4150 850CFM w/ annular boosters
2" primary into 3.5" headers
ZF5 trans, NV4500 if we want a warm fuzzy feeling when we get on the loud pedal
3.31:1 rear

This build should be knocking on 650 ft/lbs from 1500-3500 RPM before it starts to drop and around 450 HP at peak (around 4500-5000 RPM). Turns 1900 RPM at 70 MPH. Run the carb lean on primary side almost to a lean surge, and lots of timing at cruise. Should be an easy mid teens for towing MPG, maybe high teens if we can drop a couple hundred RPM at cruise. There you have it, diesel torque from a gasser, and should last plenty long with the low power output and RPM. If we want to get more scientific we can do the math and push HP/torque at low RPM by getting closer to the ragged edge for pump gas and play with some different cams. In any event, that would be my approach to a high MPG gasser for strictly towing.
Old    SamIngram            05-03-2011, 8:00 PM Reply   
I like that build, but it's screaming for Carter TQ set up just like you say.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-03-2011, 8:34 PM Reply   
build it, i dont see it getting that mileage, but i was wrong this one time along time ago
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-03-2011, 10:50 PM Reply   
my 96, love love love my 7.3L
Attached Images

Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-04-2011, 6:49 AM Reply   
Stock headlights as far as I know.
I had to search for a couple months to find the deal on this one. I wanted a stock, non-lifted, non-chipped, no big tires truck. If you don't mind younger owners and lifts you can find them easier.
Not saying my diesel is any better, I actually wanted a crew cab f150 but could not find a nice one under15k, diesel was 5k cheaper and thats pays for alot of gas for the boat and the truck!!!

I love old cars, I love driving the cj my father and I restored. Super easy to work on old cars! Diesels are pretty easy to tune with a programer, I don't put a ton of miles on my truck so I think it would take too long to recoup the extra 2 miles per gallon.

Ask Dave what would have happened to his kids after this accident without the airbags of a newer vehicle.
Attached Images

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-04-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
^^^ not going there and starting a flame about air bags this and that and safety...

But I found this one today, VERY serious about it, doesnt look like anyone has attempted to restore it, which usually ends up with a mess... looks like a original un-molested truck should look like from that year... AND it 4x4. looks like it may need the typical tun-up items... but nothing a guy cant knock out in a weekend.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...361340137.html
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-06-2011, 5:19 AM Reply   
I have a 72 C10 longbed, It is currently undergoing a resto so I do not use it to tow with currently but I wouldnt hesitate to do so with it. My granddad had this truck for 30 years and towed tractors, boats, other trucks all the time with it.

Cant wait to get it finished (gettign close) I'm anxious to see the difference in it after the upgrades I've done.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-08-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
This would be a sweet tow truck. It is the truck from The Expendables.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-08-2011, 6:02 PM Reply   
You couldn't pay me enough to tow with that. It sits like 2" off the ground, is very short and light so prone to sway and get dragged around by the trailer, surely underpowered for towing as I'd guess it's been converted to a SBF or even worse, a SBC. Maybe if it sat at a normal height, didn't have ghetto wheels, and had a real engine and trans it's be a fun ride for cruising around but that's about it. Definitely not a tow pig.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-08-2011, 6:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
You couldn't pay me enough to tow with that. It sits like 2" off the ground, is very short and light so prone to sway and get dragged around by the trailer, surely underpowered for towing as I'd guess it's been converted to a SBF or even worse, a SBC. Maybe if it sat at a normal height, didn't have ghetto wheels, and had a real engine and trans it's be a fun ride for cruising around but that's about it. Definitely not a tow pig.
Come on man. I wasn't serious. It is just a cool old truck.
Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       05-08-2011, 9:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsiderippa View Post
my 96, love love love my 7.3L
Beautiful truck man, that's my dream truck. Hope to get one next year.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-14-2011, 5:25 PM Reply   
Cheers to old tow rigs. I have been waiting to actually complete one round trip to the lake to be able to boast in this post.

1970 International Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4
392 V8 Dump truck/ school bus motor
4 Speed manual transmission
6 Inch lift
Chevy 1 ton axles

Towing a 2006 MasterCraft X1

At 5,000 Ft Elevation
Attached Images

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-14-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
^^ Looks awesome
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-14-2011, 10:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kybool View Post
Cheers to old tow rigs. I have been waiting to actually complete one round trip to the lake to be able to boast in this post.

1970 International Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4
392 V8 Dump truck/ school bus motor
4 Speed manual transmission
6 Inch lift
Chevy 1 ton axles

Towing a 2006 MasterCraft X1

At 5,000 Ft Elevation
That thing is so sweet!
Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-14-2011, 10:46 PM Reply   
never posted pics to this site so I may have screwed it up...

I usually tow with the 97 Z71 in the pic but since the motor decided to lock up, she is undergoing some surgery. In the mean time, I have to invite friends that are willing to tow me to and from. I do need my truck but I really don't mind having my boat escorted around for me.
Attached Images

Old     (helman)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-14-2011, 10:49 PM Reply   
Love the IH. I have always thought it would be cool to have a mid 60's IH Travelall. You wouldn't see yourself coming.
Old    sperbet            06-04-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
Just made my first succesful tow with the truck I bought over the winter so I figured I'd revive this thread. Towed from Sac up to Truckee which is a climb from sea level to 7,000 feet over about 70 miles. She pulled like a champ. 75 F350 4x4 with a 460 A/T.
Attached Images

Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-04-2011, 3:19 PM Reply   
i tow with a 1996 GMC 1500 short wheel base step side w/ 4.3 vortec v6 2wd. no probs.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-05-2011, 2:53 PM Reply   
Glad to hear the ol' 460 did well. If you're gonna tow with a gasser a 385 series is the only way to go. i've done the small block thing before and it sucked.