Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (goridedoo)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-04-2015, 12:30 PM Reply   
Im in market for a new boat and will be a first time owner. Have considered used but am definitely leaning towards new, due to a few things-
1. I know what I am getting
2. I am from South Dakota and there are not alot of options used wake boat wise around here, and I would really like to buy from one of the dealers close to me, our season is short enough here, I dont want to be waiting a few weeks on a minor fix because the local dealer is taking care of THEIR customers first. Neither of the 2 dealers near me have used options that I like.
3. I want a boat that throws a good surf wave with out tons of weight and people piled on one side of the boat. I would like to be able to go out with a couple other people and be able to surf no problem.
4. I really like the idea of being able to get exactly what I want
5. To my knowledge it is easier to get a loan on something brand new vs used, and I should be able to get a better interest rate?

I do realize that the boat will depreciate quite a bit as soon as I pull off the lot, and likely 10-20k after a few years.

I am planning on both surfing and wakeboarding, figuring 70/30 surfing/wakeboarding. I am a beginner along with most of my friends(a couple are pretty good wakeboarders). Right now I am thinking I would like either an A22 or a Craz. Dealers are both an hour and a half away, I liked the axis salesman better, but know many people who have dealt with the Moomba dealer and had good luck. I have also considered a T22 or T23 but I like A better because of the larger bow, walkthrough, and that the space between the seats and floor is not carpeted, I would like to stay away from carpet. Here what I like about the axis-
1. Sounds like the wake and surfwave are both awesome and both extremely easy to set up
2. I like the fact that the boat comes with a wetsounds stereo and that I can get rev410s from the factory.
3. The larger picklefork bow.

And what I dont like-
1. Price. These boats are decently priced... Until you start adding options, then wow. I had over 20k in options, and thats with a plain jane trailer and the standard 350, no Z5, and no zero off. Selling price is just over 70.
2. The new dash seems hideous IMO, but I have not seen it in person.
3. Complaints about fit and finish, I have only been in an A20, and it seemed alright? But I didnt really tear it apart too much.
4. The windshield. Sounds like you get alot of spray

Here's what I like about the Craz-
1. The standard motor is larger, and it also sounds like the closed loop cooling in that motor is a plus.
2. Fit and finish, I have not been in a Craz but was in a Mojo, the interior seemed much nicer than that in the A20.
3. Warranty, 5 years standard on the motor, but sounds like maybe axis is doing the same for 2016?
4. Color options/schemes both inside and out.
5. The option for the non skid flooring.
6. Price. I should be able to get the Craz basically loaded and with a loaded trailer for less than the axis I priced out. I have not priced a Craz out at the dealer yet.

And what I dont like-
1. Not a fan of the stereo options, so I would add this after, but maybe this is a good thing and I know it will be done right and the way I want it.
2. I am afraid that the wake and wave will be inferior to that of the A22, but maybe hard saying as the Craz is brand new. Maybe the wake and wave should be a moot point for a beginner? But I am buying a wake boat... For the wake right?
3. It is a brand new boat and there arent many people with much time in them. Sounds like people who have been in the Craz have loved it... Which seems odds because it sounds like it is basically a shortened mojo, and from what I have read the mojo hasnt been a real desirable boat, maybe this is wrong?

Just looking for opinions on everything, what you guys like and dont. Would be great to get some opinions from people who have spent time in both boats or with both brands, Any input is appreciated. I am looking at ordering sometime in the Nov-Dec time frame.

Thanks

Last edited by goridedoo; 08-04-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       08-04-2015, 1:17 PM Reply   
The new Mojo (all-new in 2015) and the Craz (new in 2016) are completely different hulls compared to the old Mojo. These new boats actually have the DNA from the Supra SA hull and have much better wakes and waves than previous models. The Mojo has definitely been a desirable boat, especially after the 2015 re-design, not sure where you're hearing that it's not. The Craz has a clean wakeboard wake at 16-17 mph (great for beginners) and an easy to setup surf wake that when paired with the auto-flow is awesome. Since it's so new, not many have been on it to comment yet. I have, so I can say that its performance was very impressive..

Main thing you should do is demo both the Craz and an A22 (side by side if you can) and make your own conclusions. Easiest way to find which works for you is to go in with as little biases as possible and use the boats to see which one fits you and your family better. Both are made by two of the largest manufacturers that have extensive dealer networks so that aspect is pretty even. So really it just depends on which one works for you the best, and then hopefully the pricing matches up with the options you want as well.
Old     (07STI)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-04-2015, 1:39 PM Reply   
I agree with all of what Rusty said.

It's going to be tough to find many people that have been behind both boats since they're so new. Since you noted that you're towards the beginner side of the spectrum, you should bring some friends that are at, or at least more towards, the intermediate level. That way you have solid feedback from people who are at the level you plan to reach in the future. As a beginner, you're likely not going to notice much of a difference between either.

I'll be taking my Craz out to surf this weekend if the rain holds off. I'll let you know how the wave is from a "beginners" perspective. The wakeboard wake is great IMO.
Old     (Supra24)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-04-2015, 3:53 PM Reply   
The craz seems to get the job done at a more desirable price. I thought the autoflow 2.0 provided better drivability than a surfgate boat. (Also thought 2.0 provided better wave than 15 mojo with autoflow 1 but the bigger boat might just take more weight than we had in it) Axis MAY have a better wakeboard wake but at even intermediate level, either will do more than enough. Overall look and interior goes to Moomba, imo. The bow is larger in the axis.

Dealer plays a big role. Go test drive both and let us know what you think.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-05-2015, 7:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra24 View Post
The craz seems to get the job done at a more desirable price. I thought the autoflow 2.0 provided better drivability than a surfgate boat. (Also thought 2.0 provided better wave than 15 mojo with autoflow 1 but the bigger boat might just take more weight than we had in it) Axis MAY have a better wakeboard wake but at even intermediate level, either will do more than enough. Overall look and interior goes to Moomba, imo. The bow is larger in the axis.

Dealer plays a big role. Go test drive both and let us know what you think.
I am not sure about your driveability comment. It seems odd to me. The surf gates deploy after 7mph and retract immediately. Other than that it takes little to no effort to drive it straight or with little turning ability which is normal to keep a good wave.

The Axis is hands down the better wakeboard wake with the versatility of the wedge.

I however do like the craz. The fit and finish is great and the surf wave looks awesome. I have a friend that sells Supra /Moomba and I have been impressed lately. They are making some great boats.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-05-2015, 9:38 PM Reply   
I have owned a 2011 Malibu VLX, 2012, Malibu Lsv, and a 2013 Mastercraft X2. I had always said that I would NEVER own and Axis.

I was wrong. I love my 2015 T22. You say fit and finish isn't as good in Axis. I strongly disagree. I feel that the T22 has every bit as good of finish as any of my previous boats. It has been very solid and very user friendly. I love the PCM motor. The wake is amazing! I love the windshield. I get a breeze while driving and have not had any problem with spray. I love how easy it is to talk to rider in the water or grab the dock while parking.

I really can't recommend the Axis enough. I've been very impressed with mine.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-06-2015, 6:51 AM Reply   
2016 Craz
I got a chance to dig through the new Craz at our local dealer. I'm really impressed with the fit and finish of this boat. I'm most impressed with the helm since it a place I spend most my time. Seems like any giant can fit perfectly in this space and the controls are well thought out. You feel you sit extremely deep and swallowed by it. If I put the seat all the way back I feel it's too much room for my 5'9" frame but easy in and out. I like the idea the cruise control and wake plate are at your finger tips while driving.
I didn't realize how much I would like the optional rear facing seating.Easy to slide into place and back in normal position. I think this option would get a ton of use for how easy it is to setup. I would miss having most of my ballast under the floor since the rear lockers get taken by the bags. Everywhere else seems to have a ton of storage to make up for it.
The tower is amazingly solid as well as the wake racks. Folding it down was a breeze with the assist system they have in place. Shade top is huge, solid and as well easy to use.
Next step is an on the water demo and try out the most important part, the wake!
http://www.marine-products.com/boats/moomba/
Name:  2016 Craz.jpg
Views: 3498
Size:  159.0 KB
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       08-06-2015, 8:02 AM Reply   
I cant comment on axis or moomba but with the surfgate on the malibu I didnt like the kick and constant turned steering when the surfgate was deployed. It might not be abd for a driver that was used to it but for any new drivers I can see it being a HUGE problem. Never driven a surf system deployed Moomba but did learn how to surf on a moomba back in 2004 so it mustve had a decent wake because none of knew what we were doing yet :-)
Old     (Supra24)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-06-2015, 8:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
I am not sure about your driveability comment. It seems odd to me. The surf gates deploy after 7mph and retract immediately. Other than that it takes little to no effort to drive it straight or with little turning ability which is normal to keep a good wave.
all2matt mentioned before I could get back ...

It's the constant pull on the steering wheel that surprised me when driving a surfgate boat. I agree it's simple but essentially it's the result of a push from the side opposed to the push from below. Tabs vs gates. You can feel it in the stiff steering and, imo, affects ease of driveability.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-07-2015, 5:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra24 View Post
all2matt mentioned before I could get back ...

It's the constant pull on the steering wheel that surprised me when driving a surfgate boat. I agree it's simple but essentially it's the result of a push from the side opposed to the push from below. Tabs vs gates. You can feel it in the stiff steering and, imo, affects ease of driveability.
It is a very minor issue. Definitely not something I would ever complain about when buying a boat. Matter of fact, I don't think I even realized it till yall mentioned it. My wife drives the boat while I surf and she has never complained about it either.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-07-2015, 6:23 AM Reply   
I wouldn't say the steering on a surfgate boat is a problem, but it's definitely more noticeable than other surf system boats.
Old     (Luciano77)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-07-2015, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by goridedoo View Post
Im in market for a new boat and will be a first time owner. Have considered used but am definitely leaning towards new, due to a few things-
1. I know what I am getting
2. I am from South Dakota and there are not alot of options used wake boat wise around here, and I would really like to buy from one of the dealers close to me, our season is short enough here, I dont want to be waiting a few weeks on a minor fix because the local dealer is taking care of THEIR customers first. Neither of the 2 dealers near me have used options that I like.
3. I want a boat that throws a good surf wave with out tons of weight and people piled on one side of the boat. I would like to be able to go out with a couple other people and be able to surf no problem.
4. I really like the idea of being able to get exactly what I want
5. To my knowledge it is easier to get a loan on something brand new vs used, and I should be able to get a better interest rate?

I do realize that the boat will depreciate quite a bit as soon as I pull off the lot, and likely 10-20k after a few years.

I am planning on both surfing and wakeboarding, figuring 70/30 surfing/wakeboarding. I am a beginner along with most of my friends(a couple are pretty good wakeboarders). Right now I am thinking I would like either an A22 or a Craz. Dealers are both an hour and a half away, I liked the axis salesman better, but know many people who have dealt with the Moomba dealer and had good luck. I have also considered a T22 or T23 but I like A better because of the larger bow, walkthrough, and that the space between the seats and floor is not carpeted, I would like to stay away from carpet. Here what I like about the axis-
1. Sounds like the wake and surfwave are both awesome and both extremely easy to set up
2. I like the fact that the boat comes with a wetsounds stereo and that I can get rev410s from the factory.
3. The larger picklefork bow.

And what I dont like-
1. Price. These boats are decently priced... Until you start adding options, then wow. I had over 20k in options, and thats with a plain jane trailer and the standard 350, no Z5, and no zero off. Selling price is just over 70.
2. The new dash seems hideous IMO, but I have not seen it in person.
3. Complaints about fit and finish, I have only been in an A20, and it seemed alright? But I didnt really tear it apart too much.
4. The windshield. Sounds like you get alot of spray

Here's what I like about the Craz-
1. The standard motor is larger, and it also sounds like the closed loop cooling in that motor is a plus.
2. Fit and finish, I have not been in a Craz but was in a Mojo, the interior seemed much nicer than that in the A20.
3. Warranty, 5 years standard on the motor, but sounds like maybe axis is doing the same for 2016?
4. Color options/schemes both inside and out.
5. The option for the non skid flooring.
6. Price. I should be able to get the Craz basically loaded and with a loaded trailer for less than the axis I priced out. I have not priced a Craz out at the dealer yet.

And what I dont like-
1. Not a fan of the stereo options, so I would add this after, but maybe this is a good thing and I know it will be done right and the way I want it.
2. I am afraid that the wake and wave will be inferior to that of the A22, but maybe hard saying as the Craz is brand new. Maybe the wake and wave should be a moot point for a beginner? But I am buying a wake boat... For the wake right?
3. It is a brand new boat and there arent many people with much time in them. Sounds like people who have been in the Craz have loved it... Which seems odds because it sounds like it is basically a shortened mojo, and from what I have read the mojo hasnt been a real desirable boat, maybe this is wrong?

Just looking for opinions on everything, what you guys like and dont. Would be great to get some opinions from people who have spent time in both boats or with both brands, Any input is appreciated. I am looking at ordering sometime in the Nov-Dec time frame.

Thanks
Have a brand new malibu for 70K.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Malibu-W...ida-50184.aspx
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-07-2015, 10:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano77 View Post
What's wrong with this deal? That's crazy pricing!
Old     (Luciano77)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-07-2015, 3:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
What's wrong with this deal? That's crazy pricing!
Nothing wrong. Need to sell ASAP
Luciano
Old     (Cam3sc)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-10-2015, 10:32 PM Reply   
Would also like some feedback looking to buy a boat in the spring of next year. These are the 2 I am looking at as well
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-12-2015, 5:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3sc View Post
Would also like some feedback looking to buy a boat in the spring of next year. These are the 2 I am looking at as well
Go drive and ride behind both.... then buy the Axis.
Old     (stealthall)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-20-2015, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano77 View Post
Nothing wrong. Need to sell ASAP

Luciano

No Bimini?

PM me the build sheet?
Old     (Luciano77)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-20-2015, 11:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthall View Post
No Bimini?

PM me the build sheet?
Yes I have bimini

email me luciano@chedrese.com.ar