Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-08-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Having some upholstery work done on the X-Star this week and the shop I went to says they reccommend using plywood/fiberglass resin over plastic board for the base as the plastic tends to warp in the extreme heat we see in AZ.

I know that MasterCraft seemed really proud that there is no wood in this boat and generally I tend to agree that wood and boats don't really mix too well.

However, the existing engine cover (which is just a single one piece cover unlike the new versions with have separate hatches for the left, center, and right side compartments) does warp on me at the front corners with the original hatch. I'm not certain what material the OEM is, it looks like a foam core with glass wrapping. I think because its such a large piece is why I have all the problems with the warpage at the front corners.

Anyone else use resin/wood to replace sections like this?

Also, would a wood/resin product seem cheaper at all. I know that there would be a bit more labor with painting on the resin but the product itself is likely a good bit cheaper.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-08-2010, 4:29 PM Reply   
I like wood.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-08-2010, 7:41 PM Reply   
Malibu uses 1" thick honeycomb aluminum panel there, but it is quite expensive. I would go with wood over any plastic for stiffness to weight ratio, and resistance to creep. King Starboard would be the best choice if you do use plastic, but I'd still go with wood. That's also an area that won't tend to stay wet, so it will take longer to rot.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       11-09-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
The old "No Wood" argument is one of the lamest I've come across.

Wood is an incredible material when used right and should last far far longer than you'll ever need it to.

So long as the shops work is top notch I'd not hesitate for a second.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-09-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
He's been in business for 29 years specializing in Auto, Boat, RV, Plane, Motorcycles, Golf Carts, Street Rods, Muscle Cars & Sand Rails. Not sure how that is specializing since it covers pretty much everything. But I imagine he knows what he's doing. : )
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-11-2010, 6:42 AM Reply   
Ask any Sanger owner ...wood is good
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-15-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
Wood and resin will be far heavier, you will notice the difference, but it won't be impossible to lift.

The sun pad on my boat is made from wood (19mm marine ply which was primed and painted) and high density foam. I made it myself, and had it covered with vinyl by a friend's Dad who has an upholstery shop in his garage. The sun pad is a tank, it weighs probably twice what the old one did (12 mm ply) and doesn't flex at all even with 2 people standing on it.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-16-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
Heavier = better. Should have her back this week. We'll see how she turns out.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-18-2010, 2:39 PM Reply   
You probably have the electric ram lift for that hatch, so the weight shouldn't matter too much. That being said, my VLX had the same setup and I hated the high amp draw and slow operation from day one. I converted mine to gas springs and a latch, and I consider it to be one of the best mods I've done to my boat.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-24-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Looking for this?

http://www.kingstarboard.com/products/StarBoard.aspx

Stong, light, resists warping and mildew.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       11-25-2010, 6:07 AM Reply   
Evil0ne... and its $$$$$$$$$$!