Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (One2Many)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-31-2015, 4:44 AM Reply   
Hey all,
So last summer I blew both of my wetsounds rev 10 tower speakers. They are being fixed and will be reinstalled this summer but my question is why? I mean all speakers can bust but I mean they were just over a year old. Plus I only use them like maybe 15 times a year because I only usually go on weekends in the summertime. How do you guys listen to your music loud without worry of ruining a speaker? Anyways I'm just curious, I listen to music with a lot of bass. I know they aren't made to project bass but when you see pro wake boarders or even just YouTube videos of people with these speakers they have music blasting and it's not light rock by any means. Anyways I'm not complaining about it, I would just like to avoid it this summer. Lots of headaches last year. I have a syn 6 amp powering my tower speakers and a small amp powering a 12" wetsounds sub. Also have the ws-420bt or loud mic/controller if that's any help.
Thanks
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-31-2015, 5:13 AM Reply   
1. "Lots of bass." Rev-10s need to be highpassed. Where are your crossovers set?

2. Syn 6. Not a great amp for these speakers. For a single pair, something like a JL Audio HD 750/1 or an Arc Audio KS 600.2 would be way better.

3. Use your ears. Do you know what distortion sounds like and what your speakers sound like when they start to break up? If not, make sure a friend or a pro who does sets your gains (and you xovers per #1 above) so you don't risk doing damage with the volume knob.

I've got four seasons on two pair with no problems at all.
Old     (One2Many)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-31-2015, 5:49 AM Reply   
I think it's kind of like the blind leading the blind here. I don't have many options when it comes to marine audio shops around here but luckily the one I found sold wetsounds so all was well. They told me the best setup I could run was the rev 10s paired with a syn 6 so being the innecent customer I just nodded my head with a smile and got them to install all this expensive equipment. Anyways I thought it sounded pretty good until I came on this forum a year back and was told I should of went with the syn 4 instead. So I brought that up to them last spring and they told me pairing the rev 10s to a syn 4 would be overkill. Anyways I'm not happy with there over all service but I have no other option.
To answer some of your questions Shawndoggy
1. I don't know what crossovers are unfortunately.
2. So I've been told, would the JL audio HD 750/1 or the Arc audio ks 600.2 be a better option then a syn 4?
3. I am familiar with distortion, I don't recal hearing any out of my speakers.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       03-31-2015, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by One2Many View Post
To answer some of your questions Shawndoggy
1. I don't know what crossovers are unfortunately.
2. So I've been told, would the JL audio HD 750/1 or the Arc audio ks 600.2 be a better option then a syn 4?
3. I am familiar with distortion, I don't recal hearing any out of my speakers.
If you don't know what crossovers are, odds are you don't REALLY know what distortion sounds like till it's too late. I thought I had an ear for distortion till I tuned my system with an SMD and was I ever wrong. My guess is you were clipping the amp/speakers and possibly have the crossover set wrong. The SYN6 definitely is underpowered for what the Rev10s can handle. Before cranking the replacements you need to look into someone knowledgeable to tune your system, or start reading and learn how to do it yourself.

I assume you're running each Rev10 bridged mono @ 4ohm on Channels 1/2 - 3/4 with the SYN6. The crossovers needs to be set in HP (high pass) and the frequency about 80Hz. I would start with the gains around 1/3 - 1/2 an adjust from there.

To fully enjoy the Rev10s one of the amps mentioned above would really be a better choice. If you want to stick with a 6 channel amp look into the SD6.
Old     (One2Many)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-31-2015, 9:06 AM Reply   
Sorry I actually do have the SD6 amp. I thought it was a syn6 all this time but I just found the invoice for when I had the work done and says SD6. Should I still be looking at changing my set-up?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-31-2015, 9:30 AM Reply   
SD6 will do 585w per can.

Revs are rated for 300w RMS.

Even though people regularly go over 300w per can RMS, you could potentially be giving them double what they are rated for. Assuming your crossovers are highpassed appropriately, it could just be you are beating on them too hard.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-31-2015, 5:56 PM Reply   
Aside from the tuning and equipment, batteries may be playing a role here. If you have average auto part store batteries (hopefully you have at least 2) and they aren't kept up, they will cause a chain reaction of amps working to hard and speakers suffering a power deficiency. May want to invest in a solid power bank
Old     (rasorjb)      Join Date: Nov 2011       03-31-2015, 8:57 PM Reply   
Get a SMD and ensure all your levels are set correctly. You can damage your speakers before your ears will hear it.
Old     (One2Many)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-01-2015, 3:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
Aside from the tuning and equipment, batteries may be playing a role here. If you have average auto part store batteries (hopefully you have at least 2) and they aren't kept up, they will cause a chain reaction of amps working to hard and speakers suffering a power deficiency. May want to invest in a solid power bank
Your right they are just your average batteries, I do have 2 though. Plus I do a lot of just anchoring with the music on so they likely aren't getting the charge they need.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-01-2015, 7:52 AM Reply   
What does smd do and how does it work?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-01-2015, 10:11 AM Reply   
I believe he's referring to this
http://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-produc...ed-tested.html

There is also this, which helps you tune your crossovers properly.

http://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-produc...ator-cc-1.html

Basically they are tools to help you tune your amps to deliver a clean a proper signal to your speakers.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-26-2015, 9:03 PM Reply   
SMD-DD1 and SMD-CC1 are basically out of stock across all retailers from what I have gathered after google searching. A DMM or O-scope are the only other viable options that I am aware of currently.