Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-14-2015, 7:41 PM Reply   
I've been experimenting with Slingshots for a while and am really impressed but feel like I haven't quite found "The" board for me yet. I'm 6'5", 225 and 39 y/o, been riding since the 90's. Every year I get older I seem to get worse. (Must mean I need a new board). I know what it feels like when you're dialed in and you really get boosted in the air off the wake, just seems like I'm not finding a board that consistently delivers. I have a 1st gen X-Star and am a few hours away from Wake Island. Hoping to find a board I can use for both.

In any case I've tried the following boards:
Response.143 Super fun and smooth but lacked the boost I wanted.
Nomad 160. Also fun but being a continuous I again didn't feel the boost.
Recoil 146. Thought that going to a 3 stage was the answer, but this board wears me out more than any board I've ever been on. In no time my hands and forearms are cramping up. Both on the cable and the boat. Feels like I'm plowing too much water.

So.... Where to go from here. I love the loose feel and flex of slingshot but its getting expensive buying boards that I end up not liking. (I also tried out a Marek and an AR1 this year, Last year I had a Byerly Blunt, the year before I was on an old school Byerly Monarch.) Maybe its just age and degrading skills but maybe its just the boards?

Trying to decide between the Whip, Oli or maybe something else?

Thanks for the help
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-14-2015, 7:50 PM Reply   
I used to ride a ss Hooke. Loved that board and actually kinda miss it! Feel victim to all the camber talk and bought a parks which is a great popping and forgiving board but does wear u out! That Hooke was much easier to do a full set on and popped real nice and landed soft. My only thing with ss is water needs to be smooth or else doesn't bite real well I thought and being a bigger guy in need my cut to bite I think.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-14-2015, 8:11 PM Reply   
I have the same hull as you. I spend most of my time riding the Ronix One Timebomb. It has excellent vertical kick off the wake, and isn't too hard on the arms, although it's not really "glidey" either. I also like to ride the Ronix Viva. It's crazy fast and you can ride it forever and it has a decent kick off the wake. I almost never ride my Recoil, as I've never really gotten a good feel for it.
Old     (bruh)      Join Date: Jan 2015       08-14-2015, 8:28 PM Reply   
out of slingshots boat boards the Blue pill is the most aggressive with the most pop if that's what you r looking for...it seems faster on the water than other boards I've ridden behind boat. I'm pretty sure every slingshot board has a grind base for the park too.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-15-2015, 2:47 AM Reply   
I always thought the 146 recoil rode high in the water and was pretty fast. Maybe give it another try. I never rode the oli or whip but I really liked the recoil.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-15-2015, 2:22 PM Reply   
I think you are looking for a needle in a hay stack. Get in the gym and fix the things that cramp you and enjoy the ride. For the longest time, I couldn't ride very long for my flat feet. I have rode all the top end bindings from slingshot and the shredtowns fit me the best. No more craps. Also, look outside the slingshot brand. If soft landings aren't an issue but still play a factor, look at ctrl. They make good solid boards with great pop and smooth landings. Fyi, I am a slingshot fanboy.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-16-2015, 4:43 AM Reply   
Slingshot fanboy here.

Just switched to a CTRL and I love it.

I needed a replacement for my kine, which I originally bought over a recoil for your exact reasoning. I am on the bigger side (6'0", 195) of riders. I hopped on a CTRL 'the line' and I really enjoy it. It is very similar riding board to the kine but offers a different flex pattern. It is much stiffer in the middle, but very very flexible in the tip and tail to really kick you off the wake. Landings are soft and it is a medium speed board I would say. Good for a wake to wake focused rider wanting good vertical. May be worth a look...

It's also super snappy and pressy on ollies and things so I bought an RM for cable and will be trying that board out this week. The RM is the same shape as the line but with an all wood core and slightly different flex pattern to make it more cable friendly. The line would also be fun for cable.

I have been very impressed with the CTRL equipment and I hope they can grow in the U.S. A bit. Those zany Germans sure can cook up a wakeboard...

Last edited by simplej; 08-16-2015 at 4:51 AM.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-17-2015, 9:57 AM Reply   
I have made my way through most of the slingshot line up too... as a 200+ pounder I never really found an SS board stiff enough for my liking either. (only rode them on the cable, not boat)
Check out the Humanoid Huxtable or Oracle or 1up.