Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-05-2012, 9:55 PM Reply   
I might be getting orders to report to the Michigan/Indiana area next spring (2013). Whats the scene like, the water temps, season begin and end, etc. As much info as possible Thanks.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-06-2012, 6:00 AM Reply   
Well, in Alledale at Placid Waters, we break out the boat in mid-April and ride until Halloween. Warm water is June-September, with May and October not too bad with a 4/3 or dry suit. If you are on the Western edge of the Eastern time zone like I am, you got good light until after 10:00 pm in May, June, July - really nice for after work riding.
Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-06-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
If you end up in the northeastern part of Indiana, send me a PM and we can ride sometime. There are a few reservoirs around me that stay fairly calm.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-06-2012, 8:48 AM Reply   
Lots of lakes in Northern Indiana. Riding season is short compared to some of the country but you can find a great home lake to ride and almost all lakes have a few nice wake boats on them you can get pulls behind.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-06-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Invest in a good setsuit or drysuit and you can really lengthen the season. We ride from april through november in michigan. The good thing is there are a ton of lakes in Michigan, the bad thing is the window os hot weather is a little short depending on what your used to
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-06-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
Lots of lakes up in Michigan. My summer home is up in Sister Lakes. There is a board shop up there called Borderline that is a Liquid Force dealer. Guy that owns its name is Billy. Hes really cool and from the Chicago area! I ride on Big Twin Lake in a black and red X-2 if you're ever needing a ride!
Old     (ryoder)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-07-2012, 6:15 AM Reply   
Lots of good riders in Northern Indiana. Barts Watersports is there and always hires some awesome riders ever summer.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-07-2012, 10:42 PM Reply   
I have a boat and being stationed in Ca. its going to be a long haul out that direction so I need to if its worth the 2300 mile strike or even trying to get the orders or if I should avoid them.. I didn't realize the season was that long,wow... whats the water temp may thru sept? Also whats the housing prices out there, also gas? Thanks...

PS I might have to taking the orders by the end of next week. but I wont be out there til Feb. / Oh yeah hows the weather for moving out there around the end of Feb?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-08-2012, 5:57 AM Reply   
Housing is about 1/3 of CA prices. Heck, you can buy a nice middle class home for $150k. Gas about 2/3-4/5 CA prices. Food a lot cheaper, too. Figure overall cost of living about 60% of CA.

At PW, current water temp is high 40's. Should be mid-50's by mid-April. Mid-September, low 70's. In low to middle 80's June, July, August.

Where is your potential duty station?
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-08-2012, 5:48 PM Reply   
Some of the bigger lakes are rough, so look up the local lakes and list back to get some opinions
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2012, 12:09 AM Reply   
Don't know yet, working out details for running a Division (multiple recruiting offices). That would be a relief, its expense to live here anymore. houses out there have basements right?
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-10-2012, 7:53 PM Reply   
Depends on the area, water table varies, but more common than not in Oakland county. Anyone can feel free to correct me, any house I've bought, it was a requirement.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-17-2012, 12:09 PM Reply   
That is a must, having a basement would be awesome.
Does anybody have any pics that they can post of what it looks like up there in the summer and winter? Thanks
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-19-2012, 6:27 AM Reply   
www.placidwaters.com has some photos on it. So does www.placidwakepark.com has a lot of photos and videos linked.

This is a great area for quality of life and raising a family. Lots of churches and fairly strict parenting. However, it is not a "Footloose" kind of area - a nice medium. Let me know if you are in the Grand Rapids, Holland, or Grand Haven area.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-19-2012, 7:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarditup View Post
[url]
Lots of churches and fairly strict parenting.
ROFL

Grew up in Grand Rapids/West Michigan area. Don't let the thumpers scare you off if that's not your thing, we've got all types here and GR is a pretty awesome town. Plenty of religious types here though, and you'll find some pretty badass parenting here too (can't type that without losing it).

We just rode in trunks all weekend. The season here is typically about 7 months Late April- Early November, but this year could very well be 9 months long: early March - early December if the last few years are any indication. It's nasty in the winter for sure- 20s and 30s all winter with not much snow and not much skiing, but they are usually short. Placid Wake park is awesome, but if you get a boat or a buddy with a boat you are usually with an hour or two of several hundred different good lakes.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-19-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
We had the Grand Valley State University Waterski Team riding on Sunday. The water was chilly, but they are getting in early practice in advance of their first tournament on May 12. Placid Wake Park was open and riders were hitting a rail and a kicker. The box needs to be installed, yet. Incredible weather this winter - sorta bad for snowboarding, but next weekend I'll get the boat going, although the forecast only has temps in the 50's. Don't plan on riding, but installing a new amp.
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-19-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   

Last Friday in West Michigan... still full wetsuits but the lake was 60F! With the forecast we'll be in neoprene tops in 4-5 days.

Placid Wake Park operates on a small lake only 800ft long so it warms up really quick over there. Everyone road without wetsuits on Sunday at Placid.
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-19-2012, 1:51 PM Reply   
We rode in northwest Indiana Saturday and Sunday, water was in the 60s and air was in 80s. People were actually swimming at the beach and no other boats were out so made for a calm day of riding
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-19-2012, 11:22 PM Reply   
Placid Waters looks to be more of a private lake vice public, so it will probably out of my price range, not to mention looks to be no place to drop anchor and chill during lunch for the kids to swim.

Kevin what lake is that? man that's making me jone's to get on the water!

Thought I would know by now but I am still in a waiting period for my orders as negotiations are still going on for the best move forward.
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-20-2012, 5:48 AM Reply   
That lake is a small one called West lake in Byron Center Michigan. If you're up in the Grand Rapids area there are some good public lakes to drop into like Duncan lake, Reeds lake, or Green lake, and if your up this way, you need to checkout the Muskegon river up by Stanwood, MI about an hour north of GR. It's the backwater of a dam so it's the perfect watersports waterway. Usually some good rope swings up that way too.

Lots of people head out to Grand Haven for 4th of July or the Coast Guard festival. You can usually run up lake Mi and into the channel for a good party. Here is a picture I took of Lake Michigan on a calm day last year. Usually it's too rough to wakeboard but if you get it like this the only turns you need to make are for double ups!
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-22-2012, 1:58 PM Reply   
man, its good to see all of the Michigan riders reppin on WW. i moved away 3 years ago, and i am homesick every day. I try and get back as much as possible, but its a long drive from DC! I will be back in June though for a Phalanx wakeboards demo, so I will get to catch up with my old crew and do some shredding! Its a little off topic, but if any of you guys are interested in coming out to the demo shoot me some ideas for a lake to host it on. i want to try and get the best water for the longest time possible. thanks for the help guys!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            03-22-2012, 6:52 PM Reply   
How all those teams north of the state of OHIO doing in the NCAA tourney?

Sorry couldnt resist
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-23-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
What NCAA tourney? It's been 85 outside! I just went Stand Up Paddling on lake Michigan yesterday in boardshorts and a tank and jumped in without a wetsuit... and it's March! Yeah the NCAA tourney didn't work out like we hoped but I'm over it already!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            03-23-2012, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodsmak View Post
What NCAA tourney? It's been 85 outside! I just went Stand Up Paddling on lake Michigan yesterday in boardshorts and a tank and jumped in without a wetsuit... and it's March! Yeah the NCAA tourney didn't work out like we hoped but I'm over it already!
How long u been paddleboarding? I paddle 3-4 times a week down here in the Gulf. Just got into it 4 mos ago and already own 2 boards 85 for up there is crazy for yall.
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-23-2012, 8:08 AM Reply   
Yeah usually we're riding in wetsuits in May. It's headed back down to the 60's for the next week or so but hopefully the warm weather is the new spring norm.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-23-2012, 9:48 AM Reply   
check out the guys @ MWP... http://www.wakeboardclinic.com/Home_Page.html
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-19-2012, 11:41 PM Reply   
looks like it will be the utica or sterling heghts area. anybody got some input for these? Thanks..
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
there are quite a few lakes within 20 mins of utica and sterling heights. I am in clarkston and there are a ton of lakes in the area to choose from. The bloomfield, orchard lake waterford area has lakes on every corner it seems. We ride on lake orion during the early and late season but take the boat to other lakes when orion gets busy.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2012, 7:41 AM Reply   
you can also rent slips on certain lakes if you have a boat. When are you going to be moving. Hit me up and we can go ride. Always looking for others to ride with.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-25-2012, 11:54 PM Reply   
Looks like end of Feb of next year. It was recommended to live in sterling Heights or Utica because of high crime, family, etc. Its sounds really bad, I was actually told don't let the wife leave the house at night in some neighborhoods. I would really be grateful if you guys could give some good recommendations as to neighborhoods to avoid and ones to look at moving to. Thanks

I will be bringing our Sanger V215 so I am looking forward to plentiful lakes and trying a new state.
Old    ajmac            04-26-2012, 7:09 AM Reply   
Kenny, what city will you be working in? I think someone is giving you bad information as far as safety is concerned. The suburbs are completely different than the actual city of Detroit. Utica and Sterling Heights are perfectly fine communities to live in. Let us know what city you'll be working in and I'm sure you will get some good suggestions as to what neighborhoods you should check out. I live in Rochester and have a 15 minute drive to Lakeville lake when I get home from work.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider_2 View Post
Looks like end of Feb of next year. It was recommended to live in sterling Heights or Utica because of high crime, family, etc. Its sounds really bad, I was actually told don't let the wife leave the house at night in some neighborhoods. I would really be grateful if you guys could give some good recommendations as to neighborhoods to avoid and ones to look at moving to. Thanks

I will be bringing our Sanger V215 so I am looking forward to plentiful lakes and trying a new state.
I grew up in Rochester right next to Utica. Rochester is an extremely nice area. Good schools etc. Id recommend rochester but shelby or Utica are also nice. Message me with any questions man and dont worry the area is very nice. Detroit gives michigan a bad rap. There are some VERY nice areas
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-26-2012, 8:38 PM Reply   
I will be running the navy recruiting offices in the surrounding areas, 5 of them so I will live in the area but I don't have to live in a specific area. I also heard there is a national guard base there?

That is great to hear about a bad rap, I was concerned about bringing the family out there. Also might as well network with you guys if you know of a good property management company because I will need to find a home to rent or GLH (Gov't Lease House).

How about the garages, are they normally big enough for the boats? my baby has never been stored outside except when we camp on the lake. Yes she that pampered, cars don't go in our garage here.

Thanks again for all the help
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-29-2012, 5:21 PM Reply   
garages depend on the house. The cost of living here compared to cali is way cheap. Look up rochester hills as a possible living spot but if you want to be closer to lakes lake orion, waterford, and commerc twp have a ton of lakes depending if your looking to rent or own. There are alot of nice areas. Oakland county in general is very nice
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-29-2012, 8:44 PM Reply   
I'm heading to Mt Pleasant in a few weeks to visit the wife's family. Saw there is a cable park close. Anyone have info on it? I think it's called Board Nation.
Old    ajmac            04-30-2012, 8:00 AM Reply   
I've only driven past the place. It's East of Mt. Pleasant. This is their facebook page- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Board...22936057741191
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-03-2012, 12:03 AM Reply   
So looks as tho the move month will be Feb now. I am looking at the best route to take to avoid the worst of weather since I will be towing a boat and family in the truck, also would it just be cheaper to have it shipped? I have heard mumbles of others shipping their boats on cross country moves, just curious about the cost etc? Thanks
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-03-2012, 12:04 AM Reply   
Bob thanks,
Whats the common practice out there, store in the garage or winterize and leave out in the cold?
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-03-2012, 4:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider_2 View Post

That's retarded. You want to live in Oakland County, which is where the inland lakes are, and it one of the richest counties in the country. I grew up in Utica; the East side (Macomb county) isn't dangerous at all, it's just blue collar.

I live in Royal Oak and am 20 minutes from my boat, which I keep on Cass Lake in a marina for $1,800 / season. Cass is the biggest lake in Oakland County (1,300 acres or so) -gets pretty busy in weekends, has a big sand bar with lots of partying. Weekday riding is usually great.

You likely won't find anything on the water cheap. Not sure your budget, but there are a lot of great areas to live; Royal Oak (48073 is nicer than 48067 - in RO you want to be north of down town, close to Woodward), Birmingham (very nice area, more expensive), Troy (comparable to RO, I think their schools are a little shaky), Bloomfield Hills / Township (Bloomfield Hills is big money, Township is less - stay away from Pontiac), West Bloomfield (all over the map price wise, lots of lakes) are all places I'd look at.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-04-2012, 9:48 AM Reply   
My pockets aren't deep, not looking to keep the boat on the water unless I am on the water. I just don't trust others enough with me not around. Do you have to buy a season pass for all the lakes?

Whats the common practice out there, store in the garage or winterize and leave out in the cold?
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-05-2012, 3:57 PM Reply   
I winterize AND store in a garage. Don't want to worry about power going out or something.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-11-2012, 5:52 AM Reply   
sorry to hijack the thread, but if anyone is around and free on Saturday June 2nd swing by White Lake for the Phalanx demo. I partnered with Chris Laske from Wake Sessions and Skiers Pier, so Chris will be coming out with his 2012 Malibu MXZ for the event. Take a set on me, come out and hang out, whatever works for you! no pressure to buy gear, just a fun day on the lake with some new boards to try out.
Old     (winchinretention)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-11-2012, 6:16 AM Reply   
I'll be up in Traverse City at the end of june. Does anyone ride up there?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-11-2012, 1:57 PM Reply   
Lots of riders in TC. Contact Action Watersports in TC for a hookup.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-11-2012, 4:55 PM Reply   
What lake in TC? My inlaws live off the east bay, we are in TC a lot; mostly in the winter, since they also have the cottage on Torch Lake.
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-15-2012, 1:11 PM Reply   
While we're talking about Traverse City... Check out the Great Wakes Festival on June 1 & 2 if you're in the area. Should be the highlight of the year as far as wakeboard events go for the Traverse CIty area.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-03-2012, 12:16 AM Reply   
So here's an update, I got my orders in hand and I am moving to Michigan sooner than expected. I will be making the cross country drive in late November with the boat in tow. I will be living in the Utica area which I have no idea about that area yet so any input form you guys would be great, also if anybody knows of a home coming open for rent that's good info.

Can I expect crazy snow that early in winter or is it mild until Dec-Jan time frame? Just got done with all new tires and new brakes on the trailer so its should be good for the trip, just need to find out about getting the boat wrapped for the trip and winter in MI.

Thanks
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-03-2012, 12:20 AM Reply   
Do you guys wrap your boats and leave them out in the weather? I have never left her out in the elements unless we were camping, she always took priority over the car and truck but with Michigan winters I think that is going to change unless I can store it indoors at a storage place that's not expensive for the winter months?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-03-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
I store mine in a barn over the winter. You can have it shrink wrapped over the winter with good results. I take the shrink wrap off as soon as I am sure we have not more snowfall. You want to avoid the steam-room effect if you get the vents clogged with spiders.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-03-2012, 4:47 PM Reply   
whats the steam room effect?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-05-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
You will be condensation in the boat over the winter. When it gets warm, it turns to very high humidity under the shrink wrap. Mold and mildew will grow quickly. Before it gets warm, take the shrink wrap off and put on the fabric cover that lets humid air pass through more easily. About mid-April you are safe.