Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-07-2010, 11:20 PM Reply   
I noticed that my local Costco has a standup surfboard on sale for $450 or so.

Are these things any fun in the waves or paddling around in calm water?

I am wondering if I would enjoy paddling around Discovery Bay on this.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-08-2010, 6:06 AM Reply   
Good exercise for calm water. A nuisance to the rest of the surfers in the waves.
Old    sperbet            05-08-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
paddleboard
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-08-2010, 7:30 PM Reply   
I bought the paddleboard at Costco today for $430. Its a big sucker at 10'6". I hope to have fun on that paddling discobay this summer!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-10-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Looks to be the new "it" way to cruise disco bay. We saw a few out last weekend. There was one really hot girl cruising around last weekend, that was pretty cool. Otherwise kinda hard for me to get excited by paddling around on a giant surfboard. I'm sure it'll be great excercise, though.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-10-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
Going running/jogging around DB is not much fun so this will be an alternative. Plus, I can take the dogs for an off leash swim while an off leash walk/run is out of the question. So, I am thinking this makes sense for me. Its worth a try.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-10-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
There's a crew of guys that ride out at one of my local beaches, they get some waves on them looks like surfing on a barge though not much to do but stand there.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-10-2010, 4:03 PM Reply   
How is the quality of the costco boards? I've seen them and am thinking about picking one up but don't want a peice of junk.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-10-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
I will tell you how I like this SUP board after this weekend. Its never going to be used in the ocean however.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-10-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
I live at the beach, and have always thought of those stand up guys as kooks.

Having said that, I bought the Costco board last week ($329.00) to take to our river place and leave there. Took it down this weekend, and it was actually pretty fun to just go out and paddle around and check out the scenery at a much slower pace than in the boat or on a jet ski, and the exercise is an added bonus.
Now I may get some strange looks out there, but who knows, just may start a new fad at the river.

I don't think the Costco boards are the quality of the ones that cost three times as much, but for what we'll be using it for, I'm sure it will serve the purpose.
The paddle seems a bit cheesy, but that could be upgraded later if needed.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-10-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
...oops, typo - that was $429.00 at Costco, still 1/3 the price of the real SUP's
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-10-2010, 9:36 PM Reply   
My thoughts exactly Chris. Ya, I paid $429 too for the 10.5' board and paddle.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-11-2010, 6:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rio_sanger View Post
I live at the beach, and have always thought of those stand up guys as kooks.

Having said that, I bought the Costco board last week ($329.00) to take to our river place and leave there. Took it down this weekend, and it was actually pretty fun to just go out and paddle around and check out the scenery at a much slower pace than in the boat or on a jet ski, and the exercise is an added bonus.
Now I may get some strange looks out there, but who knows, just may start a new fad at the river.

I don't think the Costco boards are the quality of the ones that cost three times as much, but for what we'll be using it for, I'm sure it will serve the purpose.
The paddle seems a bit cheesy, but that could be upgraded later if needed.
Chris, I don't think you'll get stares. Good exercise on flat water. I saw a woman on one Easter weekend at the river.
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-25-2010, 5:54 AM Reply   
SUP, awesome excercise ! I been doing bootcamps on them for the last month one night a week, every class has been full. i been racing(?) them a bit at some recreational races around fl, super fun, great vibe. Last weekend this 15 yr old man/child Waterman from hawaii came to st pete and kicked everyones a$$ in the 9 mile pro race. Slater Trout, he is on utube. the stock size is 12'6, that what we use for our bootcamp class. YOLO !
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-25-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
I saw a guy using one of these on the lake last week with the paddle, then a boat pulled up next to him, and next thing you know the guy is wake surfing on the thing.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-25-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
Hey GD;
SUP's are getting very popular here in Disco. There's a group on Facebook called Delta Paddle Rats. On Tuesday's they all paddle to Orwood for Taco Tuesday.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-25-2010, 11:14 PM Reply   
i would not want to be paddling behind me from orwood to disco after i powered an oakie taco, lol!!!!!

sup's are really fun, nothing better in the summer here in sc when its flat. i have also paddled all around disco on one. its fun and a great workout. just go on CL and look for one. the first time i ever did sup it was with a plastic row boat oar and an old windsurf board. worked great.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-28-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
I've been wanting to try this. I wish Lake Chabot was cool with human contact. Great resource that we can't touch
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-30-2010, 3:53 AM Reply   
Fri nite paddle with the pooch, YOLO Yak.
Attached Images