Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Deeznutz)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-06-2020, 4:54 AM Reply   
I am looking to buy a used 2000 MB Sport B-52 D-Drive. My last boat was a 1999 Centurion Elite V-Drive, which put out a nice wake, but in my research, I can buy a used D-Drive for about $5-10K less than the V-Drive and can add ballast bag weight in the front and back with a wake gate to create a nice surfing wake. But as for the MB itself, I'm not familiar with it, nor have I ever ridden in one! Just from pics, it looks like the hull design sits a little deeper, and the bow and whole boat doesn't look as low profile as the same year Centurion. One of the things that looks appealing is having the motor out in the middle for maintenance reasons. Each year I would winterize my V-Drive, and it was a serious pain getting around that engine that was encompassed by walls/compartments. Of course it's a bit annoying having the motor in the middle and in the way, but I'm trying to save some dough here! A boat bought in full, is a way more fun and worry-less boat in regards to friends messing things up!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-06-2020, 9:18 AM Reply   
I can say that I can give you every bit of feed back you want. I had a 2000 B-52 myself.

They can make a pretty decent wakeboard wake with extra weight. The built in ballast is 550 lbs. I ran a 400lbs fat sac on either side of the dog house and another 200lbs of lead plus 3-4 guys. Instead of using the pumps to fill I removed the two brass drains on the back of the boat under the swim platform and installed ball valves. That way I could just open them and let the boat gravity fill. Shut them off and then use the pumps to top them up.

I could surf the boat but it was before wake shapers were common so we had to do the driving in circles deal which really sucked and was a short wave and I needed a fat guy board to be back there. If you are planning on surfing I would find a different boat. That's what VDrives are for and why I have one now.

The boat does sit quite low so you will have to be careful. If you had a comparable Centurion then you'll know what it's like. I found it quite the pain the last few years I owned it with the surf waves from other boats getting bigger and bigger. Some days I couldn't be in the water swimming as I'd have to start the boat and get the bow up or go in reverse to make sure waves didn't come over the bow.

Never had any major engine issues the 8 years I owned it.

Questions? Fire away!
Attached Images

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-06-2020, 10:11 AM Reply   
I used to wakeboard around 22-23 mph.
Attached Images

Old     (Deeznutz)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-07-2020, 6:04 AM Reply   
Thank you so much for all that info! That was a good looking boat you had! I like the white and black. The one I'm looking at is red with the racing flag on it with "B52" decals on the side, which seems a bit much. I prefer a more subtle exterior, like simple and clean, which will not date an older boat. I saw a video on YouTube with this guy who had a D-drive and put a 500lb sac in the front, and two 350lb sacs in the back locker, then put a suction cup wakegate on the back side of the boat, and it created a nice surf able wake. So that's what I was hoping to do with the B52. http://youtu.be/WwW-7hCfu4w

My Centurion had a bow that dipped down a little, and yes, one time I made the mistake of turning into my own surf wake, and a massive amount of water flowed over the bow and instantly drenched the people sitting there, and filled the whole floor!!! And I for sure had to avoid the wakes from the new big surf boats! So I definitely know caution on that problem.
Old     (Bret)      Join Date: Nov 2013 Location: Santa Rosa, CA       03-07-2020, 8:23 AM Reply   
Looks like you are in nor-cal and I know you want a direct drive but I know of a v-drive for 14,000 that is a famous boat on wakeworld

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa...085309032.html