Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakenpa)      Join Date: Sep 2015       10-10-2016, 4:15 PM Reply   
Hey Everyone:

I had a recruiter call me today asking me if I'd be interested in a job opportunity in Austin, Texas. I have NO idea about Austin (considering I'm in Pa), let alone Texas. Can anyone tell me about the area? Where are the best places/areas to go? I would love to be able to go in the evenings and like everyone else, on the weekends. This would be a huge change for me, so the ability to ride in the evenings would be awesome! Is there anyplace as far as training/great instructors down there to get lessons from as well? I'm actually 40yrs old and I'm athletic enough to pull off my first flips which I so want to do!! I have a 21' I/O Caravelle Interceptor 212(yeah I know not an ideal boat for wakeboarding, but was a great deal!) I put a monster wakeboard tower on, but I'm ready to switch to an actual wakeboard boat. What are prices like on boats down there? How are the used boats down there? Are they mostly used on fresh water? I know around here, especially the Md boats, I have to worry about salt water use or brackish water. Used wakeboard boats around here start as low as the mid $20's-low to mid $30's....

Obviously, because Texas is a warm weather state, I'm sure everyone and their mother has a boat. But, I was wondering if it is possible to even find a house on a lake there for a reasonable price as well. I could care less about a fixer upper because I can do it myself.

Any info from WakeWorld would be greatly appreciated to help in my decision.

Thanks

Josh
Old     (Summer225)      Join Date: Apr 2016       10-10-2016, 6:00 PM Reply   
Dude, take it Austin is exponentially better in every way than ANYWHERE in PA.
Old     (Livesound)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-10-2016, 7:16 PM Reply   
I live here in austin. We have several lakes. Lake Travis a big lake half hour out of town, I have my boat in a marina there. There is lake Austin and it's close to town a little crowded, lake Georgetown, lake lbj, lake Belton, canyon lake, lake bastrop, lake waco, inks lake, and a few more I can't remember.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-11-2016, 6:11 AM Reply   
Austin would probably be one of my top 3 places in the US to live. Huge wakeboard scene and water (good water) everywhere. Lake Austin is great in the offseason and one of my favorite spots to ride. Your wakeboarding would improve greatly by moving there especially with much longer boating season and if you could hook up with some of the local talent.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-11-2016, 6:53 PM Reply   
Summer225 summed it up perfectly. I grew up in PA and live in TX now (and would not consider moving back to PA).
Old     (Kwclark)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-11-2016, 8:59 PM Reply   
Lake Buchanan is the best out of all them. The north side where the Colorado river feeds into the lake. You can run that river about 10 miles up and it's just glass even on weekends. Just paradise up there.