Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-28-2009, 6:27 AM Reply   
I want to buy a new wakeboard but don't know a good one to buy? I currently ride 08 LF Melissa 137.

Let me know your suggestions. Thanks!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-28-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
So far, I like the 2010 LF Angel

http://www.liquidforce.com/wakeboards-angel.html
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-28-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
I also like the 2010 LF Melissa Hybrid but it looks like the biggest size is a 134 and not sure if that will work. I weight 150 lbs! and the spec rider weight is 100 - 165 lbs

(Message edited by sexyws6mama on December 28, 2009)
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-28-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
And I like the 2010 LF Jett; but the biggest it comes is 136.

http://www.boardco.com/shopexd.asp?id=13477
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-28-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
Liquid Force wrote me back

"Hi Audrey,

We are not making the Melissa in a 138 this year. You can ride the 134 but your riding would benefit from riding something bigger like an Angel 138 or Jett 136. The bigger the board, the less work you have to do and the better pop and softer landings you will have. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks "

Hmmm?????
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-29-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
Audrey, why do you want to change boards? Every time you get a new board you have to re-train yourself, unless your a pro you can ride a piece of cardboard and it wouldn't matter. I wanted a new board too, I have the 136 jett 08, but...I am riding so good on it. It's all in our heads. just rock the one you have, maybe change bindings. what bindings do you have?
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-29-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
I guess I just wanted a new board. I guess I was in the shopping mood LOL I have the 08 OT Wing bindings. I definetly can't ride cardboard :-)

I still kinda of like the 2010 LF Angel though. Don't know why?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-29-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
I just bought my wife an Angel. We'll report back when the ice is out!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-29-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
Will I really remember how my Melissa rode after 5 months of no wakeboarding? Just curious.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-29-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
Audrey, I think the Angel is a less aggressive board, than the Melissa. I know I was in the shopping mood too, until you posted the LF response. Longer board, softer landings, easier to move. That explains why I couldn't do jack on my 134. Stick with the board what tricks are you working on? Or try the Ronix Faith hope love... the Jett would be 3 stage you are riding a continous. make sure you stick with the continous...

Also Shelby Kantar rode with us a couple of times, she went from Jett to the Riot, she didn't pop as high, but she rocked it cause she is a Pro.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-29-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
Yeah, I do want to stay with a continous and 138!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-29-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
I just did the homework. if you open two tabs and look at the 08 melissa and the 10 angel, it is the same board different graphics, so your paying for 250 dollars of new artwork. when your looking a boards look at the specs.... cm, rocker type, and rocker 5.3cm example
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-29-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
Thanks Kim!!!!!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-29-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
Your welcome, not that you shouldn't be happy, but I am in the same predicament sp? and I love my board want to change all the time, but in reality I am riding good, and whats them point of new graphics? Just my opinion, hope it helped and you aren't upset.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-29-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
oh no, I wouldn't be upset over your help :-) I appreciate it!!! :-)
Old     (key3331)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-31-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
Just a heads up, the Angel is LF Beginner to Intermediate Board. There are some major differences in melissa, jett and angel. Even though the Melissa's sweet spot needs a lot of line load I feel it was a far far better ride than the angel. I thought this might be helpful so I copied it off NW4's 2010 board guide. You should think about a slingshot too. I switched from my 08 Melissa to that and LOVED it!

MELISSA HYBRID
WORKS FOR: Anybody
BEST FOR: Intermediate or Advanced
The 2010 Melissa is designed for any type of riding from Urban Winching to Rails to Boat. The Hybrid design incorporates a flex into the board that allows for more pop out of it’s continuous stage rocker. It has a variable edge rail that’s soft and forgiving in the middle but sharpens near the tail to help lock and hold your edge. The board has molded-in side fins, D-I-S-C hull construction for softer landings and maintaining board speed and has the new LF Liquid Rail sidewall construction that provides the ultimate rail bond and unsurpassed durability. Just like Melissa herself this board is designed to charge!

JETT – AMBER WING SIGNITURE BOARD
BEST FOR: Intermediate or Advanced
This board is built for more aggressive riders looking for an explosive pop and edge. It’s Liquid Forces most aggressive women’s design with a 3 stage hybrid Rocker that will give you more pop but with a softer transition thanks to the hybrid technology. It has a variable edge rail that’s soft and forgiving in the middle but sharpens near the tail to help lock and hold your edge, this board also incorporates a winged rail shape with side bite slots for extra bite in the flats and quicker release off the wake. The board has molded-in Deep, Canted, Long Based side fins that give you unbelievable hold with large inside face of the fins while maintaining a low outside profile for no hang-ups. D-I-S-C hull construction for softer landings and maintaining board speed and a Double Concave V tail for controlled water flow through the ends for extra thrust and lift. We can’t even imagine how big Amber’s 7’s are gonna be on this board!

LUNA
BEST FOR: Beginner or Intermediate
This boards 3-stage has a continuous rocker flow on the water that helps carry progressing riders across the wake like never before. Add a lifted rail line and you’ve got a board that any rider can spin with confidence. It’s Exagerated Variable Edges gives even a more forgiving edge for less gnarly catches. You’ll fearlessly be trying tricks you never imagined! D-I-S-C hull through center provides lift and generates speed while breaking water on impact giving nice buttery landings. To help keep a rider in charge mode comin into the wake it has Tip Exiting Slots that channel water away in the proper direction. Helps generate speed while keeping you locked in on approach to the wake and Warped Molded In Fins that as they grow towards the tail they get sharper and warp inward; The end result is a loose feel when in neutral that generates relentless hold as you edge.

ANGEL
BEST FOR: Beginner or Intermediate
This lightweight board is super fluid fun board that incorporates an aggressive, continuous Rocker for smooth carving and D-I-S-C hull through center that softens landings and maintains board speed. Warped Molded-In Fins that as they grow towards the tail they get sharper and warp inward; The end result is a loose feel when in neutral that generates relentless hold as you edge. Variable edge rail that’s soft and forgiving in the middle but sharpens near the tail to help lock and hold your edge, Modern Bat Tail that’s fuller than the original for more lift off the tail of the board and tucked in tips for quick transitions.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-31-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
Thanks Emily! That really helps!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-01-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
I think I'm going to keep my 08 Melissa, however I am interested in new bindings!
Old     (min)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-02-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
hi, im contemplating between getting a melissa or jett? may i know the difference between a rocker and 3 stage? this is actually my first board but i'm at intermediate stage now. Have been using house board all the while.
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-02-2010, 4:54 PM Reply   
3 stage is going to give you POP off the wake also a little slower when edging giving you time to think about going wtw, then the continous is going to be faster in the water and give you distance (going wake to wake), not as much pop.
Old     (shaylanay)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-04-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
Hey girls, my name is Shayla, I am new to wakeworld. I ride a CWB sapphire 134. I love my board and the ride but I feel like I don't get as much pop as I can. I weigh anywhere between 132 and 142 and I'm 5'9, I was thinking about a slightly bigger board. Any suggestions? Does anyone know about the Liquid force Trip? Feedback?
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-04-2010, 6:15 PM Reply   
Your very tall, I would jump to a 137 if possible
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-04-2010, 7:09 PM Reply   
Audrey....I have an 09 Jett 136 and 09 CT wing bindings size 7-8 for sale....used 3 times. I recently went to a hyperlite Syn and have never popped so big in my life...I love this setup.
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-04-2010, 7:20 PM Reply   
Audrey.....I know the graphics may not be too girly but you could always look into some of the smaller guys boards. If you really like the melissa, you could check out the new 2010 trip. It will ride alot like the melissa and the graphics are pretty bright and colorful. It also comes in a 138 so you could stick with the size you are use to. Hope that helps..

CH
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-05-2010, 2:39 PM Reply   
Thanks Chris!!!
Old     (shaylanay)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-05-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
Thats what I thought but some of my boys that ride tell me not to go any bigger than a 135. I definitely will demo a few before I decide.
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-06-2010, 4:40 AM Reply   
hey Audrey, my g/f prefers her shane 134 to our boat's "community girl board" a melissa 134. She feels comfortable on my shane 138 but it looks big on her when she rides, she's 5'5 115-120 lbs small frame beginner rider
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-06-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
Thanks Nedge. I wonder are guy boards heavier than female boards?

I like the 138 trip (especially graphics) but wonder if it's heavier. My b/f boards seem heavier than mine!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-06-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
My old 2008 LF Melissa

Liquid Force Maven Melissa Wakeboard - Women's 2008: Don’t miss out on the Melissa Wakeboard by Liquid Force if you’re an aggressive shredder looking for top of the line, rocker board.

The rail line on this model has been softened to be extra-forgiving, yet the continuous rocker still delivers an insane pop.

A distinct feature of the Melissa is the Bat Tail, giving the rider crazy lift off from the wake and the agility for quick transitions.

For steady acceleration, look no further than the DISC Hull, this maintains your velocity while the single concave softens every landing.

For the fast-paced, actionmonger, you will love to defy gravity with the Liquid Force Maven Melissa Wakeboard.

Modern Bat Tail: Fuller than the original for more lift off the tail of the board and tucked in tips for quick transitions, Aggressive,

Continuous Rocker: Smooth, fluid carves with a high arching pop

D-I-S-C HULL: -Double inside single concave—softens landings and maintains board speed.

Variable Edge Rail: Rolled edge through midsection becoming sharper as it moves toward the tips—forgiving catch-free through middle, hard cutting and fast as h-e- double hockey sticks!

Low Volume Rails: Faster on edge, deeper hold on turns. Molded-in Warped Long Based Side Fins: Superior tracking hold with minimum drag and slider strong. Aggresive Continous Rocker

I just wonder if I should just keep my 08 Melissa. I really want to advance my riding so not sure if new board would be better for me.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-06-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
I'm starting to lean towards the 2010 Faith Hope Love-Emily Copeland-Durham Ronix Wakeboards now.......

ahhh. choices! I'm not sure how I feel about close toe bindings though!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-06-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
I just noticed the Ronix Faith Hope is a 136, I wonder what the weight stat is? I can't find it.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-06-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
Just found the weight for Ronix Faith Hope

* Length 136 - Suitable for riders up to 175 lbs

And I weight 150lbs so not sure if that board is good for me. :-(
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-06-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
and my old 08 Melissa was

138cm: Mid 17.0", 2.4" rocker, riders 140-200 pounds.

So frustrating trying to find a new board!
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-07-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
Audrey, specs are a good guide, but don't get caught up in the numbers or labels, like others have said, try before you buy,that's the only way to know for sure.... and I usually have to ride a new board a couple of times before i know if i like it or not....Do you guys have a local pro shop with a demo program ?
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-07-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
hmmm. the closest is probably austin. I need a demo day when it gets warmer!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-09-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
anybody riding the Obrien skyla? I really want the new one, the graphics are so cute!! But anyone know how it rides?
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-09-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
Kim; do you know much about the Faith HOpe Love board? I mean is it meant for Beg, Int or Advanced riders?
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-09-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
Didn't Emily Copeland ride the 09 Ronix Coy and isn't the 2010 Faith Hope Love board pretty much the same board?
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-10-2010, 6:02 AM Reply   
Audrey - go to Sail & Ski on Hwy 183 in Austin. They should have anything you want to demo.

http://www.sailandski.com/content19.asp?nav=90331&
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-10-2010, 6:19 PM Reply   
yes Audrey the Faith hope love is an advanced board. you should go get a copy of the Alliance wakeboard magazine. I am really leaning toward the hope love board too... Yes the Coy and faith hope love should be the same..... but the coy 09 comes in a 137, not for this year though. I am going to demo that ronix for sure!!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-11-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
Thanks Kim.

Ronix wrote back

Hello Audrey,

Thanks for writing us. The Faith Hope Love board is a great freeride board for a intermediate to advanced rider. It is the first girl specific wakeboard to hit the market. Emily helped design the board as well as rides the board. It is a great board for the rider looking to step up their riding. The 136 would be the right size board for you also.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the support!

Ryan
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-11-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Sweet! so are you gonna buy it? or Demo it?
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-11-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
well I would love to demo it but it's only 37 degrees everyday. I think I'm going to buy it, but just waiting to at least look at it in person. I'm going to a board shop on Saturday to see it in person. I wonder what size binding I need cause I wear a 9 1/2 but they only offer 9 or 10. I think it's suppose to be snug since it's CT. I'm getting super excited, I just worry that I'm too big for a 136 board??? I don't want to sink!!!!!
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-11-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
Emily is a pretty tall girl, have you ever met her? So cool! I may wait until the end of the season. hey when you go there, see if the liquid force binding would fit on it.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-12-2010, 4:07 AM Reply   
Will do! Yes, isn't she 5'9 and weigh about 150lbs? HOw old is Emily?
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-17-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
I bought the 2010 Ronix Faith Hope Board with Size 10 CT bindings and love this board. It looks amazing in person!!! I'll let you know how it rides!
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-18-2010, 6:05 AM Reply   
Congrats on the New Setup, Audrey!