Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old    malibu73            02-11-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
I'm looking to buy a new line this year and have narrowed it down to two. Silver Straight Line Thermal line and the Straight Line Alloy line. The only difference I can tell is one is coated and the other is not? What is the difference in a coated line vs a regular. What are the advantages? Is it worth the extra money?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-11-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
Coated nylon lines are nice and easy on your hands in the water when you are getting picked up no more rope burn.

And you should consider a Helium line, there awesome.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-11-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
The coated lines are nice for reasons that Andy mentioned but require a little more maintenance, you have to keep them rolled up and off the the floor of the boat, if people walk on them they can get kinks in the coating.
Old    malibu73            02-11-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
I guess im mostly worried about the coating cracking
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-11-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
it wont crack. but it you will have to keep it off the float of the boat so people dont walk on it.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-11-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
I've had the coating crack and wrinkle but I guess it isn't a big deal. It won't affect your line but rather just the coating.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-11-2007, 7:57 PM Reply   
I have a coated helium line. It's an awesome line but messier then the uncoated IMO. The cowboy loop isn't easy to make with it at all. But we havent had any cracking or kinks so far.
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-11-2007, 9:38 PM Reply   
I like it for the lack of rope burn and when you are winding the rope up it does it with ease!!!
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-11-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
The coated lines rock. Easy to maintain and it slides through your hands with ease.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-12-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
We have our 75' Bullet Armor Line coated ropes on clearance for $45.00 shipped. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
kland@bulletlines.com
www.bulletlines.com
www.myspace.com/bulletlines
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-12-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
Don't know much about the Straightline stuff, but the Proline coated mainlines wont crack, kink and you don't have to worry about people walking on them. There are very different qualities of coated mainlines out there. Some are like a standard line with a "heatshrink" type coating and some are like a standard mainline that was dipped. The Prolines look like they were dipped.

Anyway, I don't really know much about construction, but I do know that the Proline mainlines are virtually indistructible unless you run one over.

The are also definitely easy on the hands when you are in the water and the rope is dragging through your fingers. Plus they come in cool colors.

(Message edited by guido on February 12, 2007)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-12-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
I love it for the reasons mentioned but won't get it b/c it sinks and it's easy to run over.

Can't see it and sinks....not a good combo!

Helium's might be different.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
good drivers don't run over ropes, whether they're sunk or not.

i do like the coated ropes but for the life of me, can't seem to let go of my hardline spectra rope. i love that rope!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-12-2007, 2:38 PM Reply   
I never ran over a rope.I was just saying it is much easier.
If you back up even a little,you better have the rope all the way in otherwise you gets no love.I had to back up a few times before the rope was in and didn't run it over just b/c it floated.

Easy on me Joe,I had a long day already.lol
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
you know i'm just messin' with you.

have a better day man. monday's almost over and it just gets better from here on out...until next monday!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-12-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
Easy Joe, easy..... I resent that comment. "Good drivers don't run over ropes..." Ha, ha. Though the rope I ran over floated just fine. Lucky for me I just ran over the handle and left the rope un-scathed (unlucky for my prop, though). I challange anyone to make it a lifetime at the delta without running over a rope. The current can do strange things when you aren't paying attention. I made it 16 years till my luck ran out. LOL!!!

Ask Jarrod about running over a coated rope. And yes... They do sink like a rock. Maybe that's a good thing. If it's sunk you can't run it over, or I suppose I should say, you can't get it caught in the prop.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
wow, you really took that personally, eh?

i'm just messin' man. i've run over a rope at the delta. fortunately, we drifted to shore and was able to untangle the rope from the prop/shaft, with no damage to either the rope, handle or boat.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-12-2007, 3:44 PM Reply   
Get the Accurate A-line in WHITE. Easy to see. If your handle floats it will keep the rope in sight easily.
Old    xtremebordgurl            02-12-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
My coated rope floats... did I get a supernatural one out of the batch?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-12-2007, 3:53 PM Reply   
totally... I thought you directed that straight at me. Man you're such a d*&k sometimes.

LOL!!!!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
What if you run over your brand new floating rope in a lake? Is that bad?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-12-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
You guys all know Shawn Wilson. We were out at Nacimiento last year and the rope got unhooked from the tower while it was sitting on the V-drive cover. Well somehow the stupid thing got bumped and went into the drink, by the time we realized what happened we were able to watch the tail end of the Proline LG combo sinking to the bottom of the lake. They certainly do sink...
Old     (socalrick)      Join Date: May 2005       02-12-2007, 4:41 PM Reply   
Ken - Do bullet lines float?
Old    malibu73            02-12-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
So the one of the only advantage to a coated line is that it is smooth through you hands, but it sinks?
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-12-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
Rick,

Thanks for asking... Our coated ropes float.

Durability-
The 2007 Armor Lines are the strongest and most durable coated ropes on the market; Why can I say this? Because our 2007 coated ropes are made to the exact specifications as our Bullet Winch Rope, and our winch ropes are considered the strongest and most durable rope on the market- Checkout winchskating.com and read for yourself.

BTW... Checkout our new Bullet Pimp Winch below. What you see is bare bones because we dont want to give everything away before our first public unveiling at Louisanna Spring Fling 2007. We will be selling full blown winches, and we will also be selling frames and spools al la carte.

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
kland@bulletlines.com
www.bulletlines.com

Upload
Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-13-2007, 7:32 AM Reply   
My buddy and I both got the Leather Grip handle. 80 ft out of the packaging. Its a great rope/handle combo. Very comfortable and grippy. Good price too.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-13-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
Ken, I like the FSU Cooler int he background!! GO NOLES!!! Can I get a ganet & gold rope the next time I order?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-13-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
I know of so many more incidents running over the rope since the coated one came out.It almost doesn't matter what color since the water that wakeboarders usually ride is dirty and can't see a f#@king thing.White does help and the black one no one wants...guess why?lol
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-13-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
The Straightline coated lines FLOAT. I'm not sure about the Proline but it sounds like they do not.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-13-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
My Proline rope and handle sink like a rock, but I love them anyway. LOL!! The LG is super comfortable. If you run over you're rope, you really weren't paying attention.

The only way I've done it is at the end of a set in heavy current when everyone on the boat was BS'ing and the rope didn't get pulled in. Otherwise a rope shouldn't be near the underside of a boat, unless you like to drive circles around you're downed rider.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-14-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
Proline make the best ropes and handles out there. They are innovative and it seems that a lot of companies are trying to immitate what they are doing.

In my experience, EVERY manufactures' coated line that I have seen or ridden behind has sunk. It seems that that is the nature of the beast.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-14-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
Has anybody else notice the coated line stretches a little?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-15-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
Only when they're brand new, Ed. One pull is usually all it takes to work the stretch out of them. I've noticed this in most ropes. Coated or not. In fact the my Accurate Spectra line a few years back felt like a bungy cord.