Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-17-2014, 10:21 AM Reply   
I've never posted any pics of my boat before, and 4 good reason, as it is widely considered 2 be one of the ugliest wake boats in NJ. Since the Weather's Been so unseasonably cold, I've been trying 2 work on the boat when I'd ordinarily be riding. Since people sometimes ask about bc products, I though I'd post some pics. My weapon of choice was a Porter cable dual action polisher. I did multiple rounds of bc extreme compound, bc compound, bc polish, then 3 coats of bc crystal gloss. My boat will never win any beauty contests, but it does look much better.
I'm really happy with all the bc products I used. If they work on mine, which has led a fairly unfortunate life, they will work on anyone's.
Old     (blackstang)      Join Date: Dec 2013       04-17-2014, 10:28 AM Reply   
Wow, nice work!
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-17-2014, 10:58 AM Reply   
What pad did you use? The same for all the products?
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-17-2014, 11:03 AM Reply   
Now refinish that teak!!!!!
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-17-2014, 11:07 AM Reply   
x2 on mixing in a little teak oil. That looks so good it makes the teak look even worse. Great job!!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-17-2014, 11:13 AM Reply   
Little Teak Oil and next use some "totally awesome" and a scrub brush on your vinyl. Looks awesome. Gives you a renewed love for your boat I bet!!!!
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-17-2014, 11:16 AM Reply   
great results!!! congrats.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-17-2014, 12:04 PM Reply   
Nicely done. I did my X Star last year with same products!!! Better than wet sanding any day!!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-17-2014, 12:30 PM Reply   
Dawns dish soap>totally awesome. Done side by side and it's waaay better!
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-17-2014, 12:43 PM Reply   
thanks everyone! And I hear u re: the teak and upholstery! I used 2 do the teak at the beginning of every year but after a few weeks in the water it looked the same as b4 so I guess I just gave up. With respect to pads, I used lake country ccs pads (yellow cutting) with the extreme compound, lake country ccs pads (orange light cutting) with the regular compound, and lake country ccs pads (white polishing) for the polish and crystal gloss. If I was doing it over again I'd probably pick an even more aggressive pad for the extreme compound, something like Optimum's microfiber cutting pad. My ghosting and oxidation was pretty extreme and it took a while to remove. I used a lake country backing plate until I failed 2 tighten it securely and it stripped and went flying across the parking lot and then I used a 3m backing plate. I think I prefer the 3m because it seems 2 be holding up better than the lake country was and just feels more secure and well made than the lake country backing plate did. I found autogeek.net 2 be really helpful when it came to researching and selecting and purchasing pads and such. U can usually find a coupon for free shipping. Now I'm trying 2 decide if I should put decals on and if so what kind. I've always wanted 2 do a shark mouth on the bow like the WWII planes ....
Old     (rnate450r)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-17-2014, 12:50 PM Reply   
A new rub rail would top it all off, along with the teak oil of course!
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-17-2014, 1:35 PM Reply   
Looks like we have been doing pretty much the same thing. My 2000 'star needed some gel coat TLC too. I haven't quite got rid of the oval ghosting on the side of the boat, but pretty close. I need to figure out what to do graphics wise on the side, so would really like to see what you go with.
Good job, well done!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-17-2014, 11:59 PM Reply   
Before replacing that rub rail, I'd try and revive it with some semi fine sand paper or even acetone to remove the marks and then buff it like you would buff the hull. Replacing a rub rail is a pain and expensive. Been there... Great job so far btw. My vote is to put back the factory decals since I haven't seen anything else that looks better on that boat and it clearly needs something. Again, great job so far.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-18-2014, 6:42 AM Reply   
I'm gonna take your advice and try to revive the old rubrail before replacing it. If I can make it look 75% better that would probably be enough for me. I'd much rather put the $400 or so into the sound system. I actually have an old set of OEM decals. I think the side decals have a black background and a red x star; it's been several years since I've looked at them. I really wish Mastercraft wouldn't have made that oval in gelcoat on the side. It really limits what you can do. On the bright side, it's gonna be 57 degrees here today with light winds, so we're gonna hit the water this evening.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-18-2014, 8:58 AM Reply   
Boat Candy..................

Old     (dylanjustice41)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-18-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
Wow what a transformation. Boat looks great!