Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-29-2014, 3:50 AM Reply   
Hello,
my Xstar 2002 has all the instruments that do not work. The instruments have been tested singularly on another boat and they work perfectly. The Italian Mastercraft dealer has tried another electronic control unit and nothing changes. The existing control unit also works perfectly.
Has anyone got any idea of how to solve the problem. The Italian Mastercraft technician is going crazy in order to find a solution, but no way.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-29-2014, 3:59 AM Reply   
The three things they all share is power supply, ground and a harness plug. Get a meter and learn how to use it. Electrical trouble shooting is often a process pf elimination.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       04-29-2014, 4:00 AM Reply   
I don't think they used faria boxes in 2002 but check under your dash and see if there's a box down there that feeds into all the gauges. If so, that box is what has failed. Again, I don't think you have one, but since you already changed the ECM and got the same result it's obviously not ECM related. Check all connections, leads, and grounds.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       04-29-2014, 4:02 AM Reply   
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...p/t-43292.html

It's called an MDC box according to this thread, like a faria box, it controls all your gauges
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-29-2014, 4:45 AM Reply   
Thanks Dave and Baitkiller.
I indeed do not have an MDC box and the technician ha controlled all the connections. He has at present another Xstar with the same problem as mine and also in that case he is unable to locate the fault.
I do not like the idea of running the boat with a faulty engine temperature instrument (or with a faulty fuel gauge).
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-29-2014, 5:25 AM Reply   
Do the lights come on the gauges? If they work in another boat and not yours, you are missing either power, ground, or signal. I think it is unlikely that you would loose the signal to all your gauges at the same time, so focus on power and ground. Get a meter and learn to use it...follow the power back to where it starts working.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-29-2014, 6:31 AM Reply   
If you haven't already, head over to mastercraft.com/teamtalk and ask them about this. Those guys know their stuff when it comes to MCs and are always glad to help. Someone with the same boat might have had the same problem and can point you in the right direction.
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-29-2014, 6:51 AM Reply   
Yes Josh, I will do that. I am also trying to contact my mechanic right now in order to ask him what he exactly did up to now and if the MDC box is really absent or not (it is not clear to me up to now and the boat is not here with me to check).
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-29-2014, 9:45 AM Reply   
I had this issue on my 2004 X-2 (same thing) and it was one of the two fuse holders in the cluster of wires under the dash. The fuses were fine, but no continuity through the fuse holder. Removed the fuse holders, installed automotive style fuse holders and have been good ever since.
Old     (Captain_obvious)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-29-2014, 7:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesk8er2 View Post
I had this issue on my 2004 X-2 (same thing) and it was one of the two fuse holders in the cluster of wires under the dash. The fuses were fine, but no continuity through the fuse holder. Removed the fuse holders, installed automotive style fuse holders and have been good ever since.
Bingo! those two plastic push/twist release inline fuse holders should be replaced with blade style fuse holders.
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-29-2014, 10:28 PM Reply   
Thanks, today I will call my mechanic and I will instruct him to check both the MDC module, if any, and the fuse holder under the dash. I hope this will solve the problem.
I have to say that Mastercraft Great Britain, that is the European reference dealer for all the European countries, has not been of any help so far.
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-30-2014, 1:45 AM Reply   
Update:

The mechanic says that he already tried to change the MDC box (there is one!!) but the old one was working correctly. The power supply and the ground are ok, what is missing is any signal coming from the engine to the MDC box.
There must be any rusted wire (I use the boat in salt water). He asked Mastercraft to send him the electrical diagram of the wires the connect the engine to the MDC box and then he should be able to locate the fault. As said before, Mastercraft Great Britain is no much collaborative for the time being.
Let's wait and see.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-30-2014, 3:44 AM Reply   
If it turns out you need a ECM I have one I can sell for cheap. I have one from my old x-star. It's brand new. Paid $200 for it. Bought it and put it in and it didn't fix my gauge issue so I put the old one back in. Sold the boat and found that ECM in a box when moving. PM me if you need it.
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-30-2014, 9:04 AM Reply   
HI Brett,
Can you explain to me why you believe an ECM would be the solution to my gauge problem?
I could consider buying yours.
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-30-2014, 11:43 AM Reply   
I wouldn't waste any time talking to mastercraft, instead you are better talking with Medallion ( the manufacturer of the gauge and MDC. Check out the following or call medallion directly.

https://www.m2omarine.com/resources/...oubleshoot.pdf

I have the same boat, currently have an issue with the tacho not working. I've ordered a new MDC as all other troubleshooting has drawn blanks.

The earth resistance on the MDC is very important, check the earth on the loom going into the MDC against the negative terminal on the battery, any significant reading is not good and needs to be addressed.

Is your clock / speedos working? if not, definitely a problem with your power or ground or possibly an interruption in the signal from the MDC.
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-30-2014, 11:57 AM Reply   
Hi ally,
No gauge is working at present. The power supply and the ground are ok, at least this is what the mechanic says. The MDC has been swapped with another one of another Xstar (the new MDC works perfectly on the other Xstar and so do all my gauges) but nothing changed. The mechanic says that no signal at all seem to enter the MDC coming from the engine.
Have you any idea?
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-30-2014, 12:16 PM Reply   
The reason I asked about the clock specifically, there is no feed from the engine, just the MDC. I think your problem lies with the power/ground for the MDC or indeed the signal from the MDC. I don't think you will find a problem elsewhere. Try rigging up a new live and earth direct from the battery for the MDC, see what happens.