Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-10-2015, 6:57 AM Reply   
I wanted to get opinion's on exactly what the title says. The best wakeboarding boats of the late 90s and very early 2000s that were more in the budget to mid line category.

I had a previous post on the best boat for around 10k, but I think I might be upping my budget a bit. I don't need all the bells and whistles in a boat. While factory ballast would be nice (like on the air nautiques), I can certainly setter for a rear locker that I can put a ballast in.

Please refrain from posting pictures of your boat on this thread. It makes it difficult to follow the discussion at times. I would be happy to receive those pictures via email if you want to send them in your contribution.

Lastly, thanks in advanced for the time you put into posting and adding to my knowledge.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-10-2015, 7:14 AM Reply   
Malibu wakesetter/sunsetter V-Drive
Mastercraft 205v
Nautique SuperSport/SAN 210
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-10-2015, 7:22 AM Reply   
List of boats I would look at and what I've seen them selling for recently (maybe the deals are gone, or maybe new better deals exist, but its a starting point).

Nautique Supersport / Super Air - $15k+ (If you're interested in a Supersport, let me know, my brother has one he will be selling after this summer).

Malibu VLX or LSV Sunsetter / Wakesetter - $15k+

Mastercraft 205v / X-star - $18k

Mastercraft Maristar 210 / 225 / 230 .... X-10 / X-30 - $15k+

Tige 2100v - $19k+

Toyota Epic (v-drive) $20k

Sanger V-210 - $20k

Hydrodyne Nextar - $15k

Centurion Avalanche - $21k

Supra Santera - $22k+

Moomba Kamberra - $18k+
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-10-2015, 7:24 AM Reply   
I had an 01' Mobius V. It threw a great wake and had a ton of room. We had 750# sacs in the rear and 1100# in the floor under the front walk way. It was/is a great boat.
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-10-2015, 10:05 AM Reply   
Just start looking for a Sanger...bought a V210 (newer than your budget will allow) but it's a great first boat. Everyone compliments me every time I'm out. It actually surprises me since my two buddies each have a SAN230 and a '15 VLX and I imagine their boats to be so much better (which in reality they aren't). They both say Ive got a nicer first than either of them had. I still long for the Axis T22 I set out for, but in due time. and only for the convenience of push button surfing. If I never upgrade I've got a boat that can do everything I need it to and had great value while doing it. Sanger's a safe bet and a quick search online finds lots of decent deals.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-10-2015, 11:09 AM Reply   
Look at the hull depth of the Nautiques (SAN 210/Supersport) when compared to other boats from that era. They were the only boat made in the late 90's or early 2000's that had enough draft to run heavy ballast without taking on water over the bow or stern. The other manufacturers were playing catch up for quite a while. I don't know who made the best wake boat in 2009 but in 1999 there was only 1 choice.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2015, 11:57 AM Reply   
in 99 both the Mastercraft 205/X-star and the Malibu Sunsetter/Wakesetter VLX easily competed with the CC210 in every area. I would agree that the CC had the beefiest wake, but not everyone liked the shape.
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-10-2015, 7:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
List of boats I would look at and what I've seen them selling for recently (maybe the deals are gone, or maybe new better deals exist, but its a starting point).

Nautique Supersport / Super Air - $15k+ (If you're interested in a Supersport, let me know, my brother has one he will be selling after this summer).

Malibu VLX or LSV Sunsetter / Wakesetter - $15k+

Mastercraft 205v / X-star - $18k
First, thanks for this comprehensive list.

The ones I quoted are mostly the ones I have mostly been looking at. I haven't seen many Supersports on CL in my region (based in Columbus oh).

I would edit your list as follows: the only boat I have seen under 20k would be the air nautique. I did run across a sunsetter v drive, but it didnt' really have the wrap around seating nor a tower.
Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-10-2015, 7:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
in 99 both the Mastercraft 205/X-star and the Malibu Sunsetter/Wakesetter VLX easily competed with the CC210 in every area. I would agree that the CC had the beefiest wake, but not everyone liked the shape.
This was the exactly debate I was hoping for. As I am leaning towards (in my mind), the big three (mastercraft 205/xstar, malibu wakesetter vlx, or air nautique or super sport).

At this point, I am a notice wakeboarder. I am still enjoying clearing the wake off the back of my 89 malibu skier. I am sure as many of you read that last sentence, I will get groans of sympathy and phrases like "no where to go but up" (the pun was too hard to pass up).

I am sure as the season goes on, prices will fall. I am willing to store the boat for the winter for a really good deal.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-11-2015, 8:20 AM Reply   
Personally my choice would be the Malibu.

Although the wake on the CC was a beast, it was also the most finicky of the bunch. The wake can roll over or go flat every time someone farts. But as long as every one stays in their seats, there is no wind, and no currant, its a monster.

The VLX with a wedge offered the greatest balance in my opinion. The boat will need more weight than the CC, but you get a consistent wake with a good blend of lip and ramp/transition.

I owned the 205 hull on a 2005 X2 that I bought new. It was good too, but I always like the VLX better.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-11-2015, 8:33 AM Reply   
^ Everything J-Rod.

I had an X-1 for two summers at the ski school I taught at, and it was just too small. Bags all over the place, over 4 people felt cramped.... the wake with like 2500+ lbs was great, but all things considered, meh.

I owned a Supersport 210 for ~6 or so years, and the wake is awesome with only about 1500lbs... bump that to 2500lbs and its insane... .like jarrod said though, it can wash really easily. We had to keep two 80 lb bricks in the boat to counter-act people moving/shifting/etc. I like the holder ones because of the full wrap seating that was done away with at some point ... but they did eventually make the gunnels smaller, which added to the cabin room.

I have a 23 LSV wakesetter now, but spent a lot of time in my uncle's VLX, and its a great boat. Nice and roomy, great interior, and the wedge makes life really easy and keeps the wake super clean. Expect to run 2k+ lbs in it though to get a wake similar to the 210.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-11-2015, 10:58 AM Reply   
SAN210 and MC 205v, in that order. I haven't been behind a 'bu so can't really comment on those. But I've spent extensive time behind my buddy's old '04 210 and of course my 205v. The 210 wake of that era is my favorite short of a G. Two other friends have '09 210s and they are great boats with more features but lack the vertical shape to the top of the wake that the old 210s have.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-11-2015, 11:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
Look at the hull depth of the Nautiques (SAN 210/Supersport) when compared to other boats from that era. They were the only boat made in the late 90's or early 2000's that had enough draft to run heavy ballast without taking on water over the bow or stern. The other manufacturers were playing catch up for quite a while. I don't know who made the best wake boat in 2009 but in 1999 there was only 1 choice.
While I agree that the 210 has the best wake of that era, to say there is no comparison is plain wrong. My 205v w/ 2500# of ballast is every bit as big, just more on the rampy side and not quite as much peak to the top. But still very good in comparison.

OP said no pics of boats so here's one of the wake behind a 205v. Rider is 6'4".
Attached Images

Old     (jharmon203)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-11-2015, 7:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for honoring the no pictures of boats request. I do appreciate the wake picture so that it can be compared. In fact, I would encourage others to post pictures of wakes. I would be interested in the malibu vlx and SSN.

Thanks all for your contributions
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-12-2015, 12:09 AM Reply   
To be blunt, I wouldn't base any part of the decision process around somebody else's picture of a boat or wake. You need to look at the boats and form your own opinion.

I went through a similar process to you a few years ago, looking at 03-05 x2's, vlx's and CC 210's. Although, the 210 had the most familiar wake (I was coming from a sport nautique, so exactly the same hull under the water) I decided against the boat simply due to the amount of available storage being so minimal. I stupidly let an 05 vlx's slip through my fingers as funds weren't liquid and I don't do loans for toys. I ended up with the mastercraft but went for an older model as there was no difference in the design apart from the tower year to year. I found a low hours 2000 xstar and am very happy with the purchase.
Some things to point out, the mastercraft has much more storage compared to the CC 210, but there is a trade off being it needs more ballast if you are wakeboarding .We have young kids so storage is key, and in any event if they become interested in watersports I'll move to an 06 onwards CC 210 in a few years. If we didn't have kids, I'd have gone for the CC 210.

Bottom line, your own needs, requirements and opinion are the only ones that count.....
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-12-2015, 8:37 AM Reply   
This is the wake from a 95' Supersport -
900 lbs rear, 600 lbs bow ballast - 1500 lbs total + 3 in the boat

I'm 6/6'1"

This photo shows how touchy the wake can be... more often than not, edging out hard will wash the opposite side of the wake.... doesn't really matter unless you're trying to ride double, but it is worth noting.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-12-2015, 8:49 AM Reply   
Not trying to be a dick,but I can't help it lol. Google search your thread title and read 1 or the 100's of exact same post. Then go find 1 of the 5 boats that fits and find the cheapest/best shape 1 and buy it. I mean holy **** it.....