Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       07-16-2015, 4:30 PM Reply   
My wife wants a new explorer, and I'm considering selling my truck if their towing capacity is sufficient. We live a mile from our launch ramp and rarely tow more than an hour away. I like the sport with the Eco boost but it's 50k. Does anyone have experience towing with the 290 hp v6? I would be towing a 06 vlx.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-16-2015, 5:37 PM Reply   
I think they are rated to 5k and that boat should be right around there with full crew
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-16-2015, 6:00 PM Reply   
I'll say I would lean toward maybe a 4Runner, or even a diesel GC. Little more capacity, really sharp cars. We love our v8 T4R
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-16-2015, 8:39 PM Reply   
I tow an a20 with one. Couple of 4 hour trips each year. I have no problems. I know I'm right at the capacity. But I stick to nice launches and try to take it easy. I'm not a car guy but I do alright with the current set up.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-25-2015, 1:49 PM Reply   
Keep in mind that the 5,000 lb tow rating on the explorer is with a weight distributing hitch. With a weight carrying hitch it is significantly less. This is what prompted my wife and I to look at Expeditions.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-25-2015, 3:53 PM Reply   
We had the same dilemma except we had the LSV we went with the VW Touareg 3.0 TDI 7700 # of towing and 30MPG when solo
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-26-2015, 2:00 PM Reply   
Is this that sideways mounted 3.0 liter? I don't think you'll have too much trouble with it while it's new but be sure to get rid of it before you get too far out of warranty. That's a disposable engine. Way too much work to even take a head off the thing. My brother-in-law is having trouble and nearly every repair will require you to either pull the engine out or spend just as much time trying to work in very tight spaces.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       07-26-2015, 9:26 PM Reply   
We ended up getting a 2012 xlt 4x4 with every option certified from ford for 30k with 20k miles. I added the 100k mike bumper to bumper warranty, so far my wife loves the car. We traded in our Lexus IS
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       07-26-2015, 9:28 PM Reply   
We really wanted a 3rd row, so that left the MDX and the Explorer as contenders. We'll be keeping my truck to tow, but it's nice to have the option