Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (MBBoss210)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-14-2017, 7:54 AM Reply   
I was curious to know how far some of you traveled/would travel to purchase your current/next boat? Maybe you can list what state you live in and how far you traveled or would travel.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-14-2017, 8:21 AM Reply   
5 hours. Texas. I would def drive further for the right boat/price
Old     (MBBoss210)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-14-2017, 8:29 AM Reply   
That's not too bad! I live in California and am looking to purchase a 2008 - 2010 Wakesetter VLX. There's not much available right now in the state that I can find, so I was curious how far others would go to find the right boat.
Old     (SHotz__21)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-14-2017, 9:42 AM Reply   
North Dakota to Lake Hamilton Arkansas and back, 42 hours and 2800 miles
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-14-2017, 10:13 AM Reply   
6 hours both ways twice. Once for my Super Sport and again for my Supra. NC to Knoxville TN both times.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-14-2017, 10:17 AM Reply   
about 500 miles each way and close to 10 hrs of driving because traffic for the boat and I've bought two cars out of state. Flew there then drove home and that was about 700 miles one way.. I've looked into doing that with a boat but a good tow solution appears to be pretty pricey from rental companies one way. I'm more of a fly there drive back type, anything over 2 hrs and i'm over it- except one of the 700 mile trips was for a fast car, that was more enjoyable.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-14-2017, 10:21 AM Reply   
I've flown to LA twice for vehicles. Never a boat. And I once flew to AZ, rented a truck, and hauled my KTM home :-)
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-14-2017, 10:55 AM Reply   
went from California to Oregon and back about 750 miles round trip. 14 hour day, but with a new (to us) boat on the hitch it was a happy drive! Gotta really lean on the seller, if used, to be able to provide a ton of pictures and lots more questions to ensure you don't get something you aren't expecting when you arrive.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-14-2017, 12:05 PM Reply   
My first boat (03' vlx) I drove from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles and back. About 10 hours out, 12 hours back.

My second and current boat (13' A22) was in MN. I paid a driver on uship to bring it to me. Would have been around 18 hours out, 20 hours back.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-14-2017, 2:12 PM Reply   
I live in Vancouver WA (just across from Portland OR). As far as distance purchases, I've done the following:

Bought a heavily modded Jeep Wrangler from New Jersey (had it shipped to me)
Bought a modded Ford Explorer from New York (flew my sister out and had her drive it back)
Bought a BMW 328i convertible from San Diego (drove it home)
Bought another BMW 328i convertible from the Seattle area (drove it home)
Bought a BMW M3 convertible from San Francisco (drove it home)
Bought an Audi S6 from the Seattle area (drove it home)
Bought my Moomba XLV from Indiana (had it shipped to me)

Helped a friend buy a 2015 G23, had it shipped from Alabama to Portland OR
Old     (MBBoss210)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-14-2017, 2:24 PM Reply   
For those of you who are having them shipped, I imagine you are flying out at least to verify and look over the boat in person?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-14-2017, 2:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBBoss210 View Post
For those of you who are having them shipped, I imagine you are flying out at least to verify and look over the boat in person?
On the cars I had shipped, I had a pre-purchase inspection.

On my XLV, I bought it from a forum member that I built up a level of trust with and he gave me a killer deal. So I bought it sight unseen.

My friend bought his G23 from a dealer without ever seeing it in person. He got a good deal on it and got an extended warranty.

Sometimes the payoff is worth the risk.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-14-2017, 3:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBBoss210 View Post
I had the boat inspected by the local Axis dealer. It was $250, but they did a thorough 50 point inspection. I feel like that combined with what the seller told me, I received exactly what I inspected. The seller was really awesome, which helped a lot too.
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-14-2017, 5:16 PM Reply   
I bought all my boats used
First boat was 5 hours away
Second boat was 10 hours away
Third (current) boat was 20 minutes away lol. Got lucky with that one
Old     (strev)      Join Date: May 2012       09-14-2017, 5:40 PM Reply   
Took a red eye flight from Southern California to Portland Oregon, test drove the boat and made a deal. Rented a 10' uhaul box van and drove it home the same day... it was a very long day....
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-14-2017, 6:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by strev View Post
Took a red eye flight from Southern California to Portland Oregon, test drove the boat and made a deal. Rented a 10' uhaul box van and drove it home the same day... it was a very long day....
how much was the u haul? i'm central ca and have seen boats i'd be interested in portland as well
Old     (strev)      Join Date: May 2012       09-14-2017, 8:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
how much was the u haul? i'm central ca and have seen boats i'd be interested in portland as well
I believe uhaul was $500 for a one way trip from Portland to Southern California. I know I could have had it shipped for not much more, but I personally would not buy a boat without seeing and driving it. Plus, I wouldn't want anyone towing my boat but me.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-14-2017, 8:16 PM Reply   
Frenso California to Auckland, NZ = 7,000 miles. I win. Game over.
Old     (Chugh2surf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       09-14-2017, 11:04 PM Reply   
Spokane Washington to Houston Texas
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-15-2017, 5:41 AM Reply   
Had a guy from Guadalajara Mexico drive up to Dallas to buy one of my boats. That is a 20+ hour drive if all things went well. It was a disaster of a transaction for him. He wired the money, but my bank took 3 business days to confirm it was all legit. The boat was financed so he didn't get an actual title when he took the boat and got hung up at the border for many hours. All in all, I think it took him about a week from the time he left to the time he got back home lol.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2017, 7:47 AM Reply   
I left Albuquerque on a Friday night and drove straight through to Corona, CA where I picked up the boat. I had it checked out earlier by a family member. I was able to stay in the South Bay and visit with family and friends for the weekend before making the trek back to Abq.

Ralph crushed us all with the 7,000 mile purchase!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-15-2017, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
damn!
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-15-2017, 9:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
I'm here to ask the burning question on everyone's mind since it came from Fresno .... did you find any meth or other contraband hidden within the boat?
Old     (JCleary)      Join Date: Dec 2016       09-15-2017, 3:58 PM Reply   
I bought my 2016 Supra SE 550 in Phoenix. I live near San Francisco.

I'll NEVER buy anywhere but local going forward. Local dealer service is far more important than a slightly better deal somewhere far away...

Last edited by JCleary; 09-15-2017 at 4:07 PM.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2017, 9:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'm here to ask the burning question on everyone's mind since it came from Fresno .... did you find any meth or other contraband hidden within the boat?
It was from the direct from the Sanger factory so no, just a multitude of loose screws, bolts and washes.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-16-2017, 10:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCleary View Post
I bought my 2016 Supra SE 550 in Phoenix. I live near San Francisco.

I'll NEVER buy anywhere but local going forward. Local dealer service is far more important than a slightly better deal somewhere far away...
That's fine if you're dealing with a new boat, but if buying used, especially private party, there's no way I'm limiting myself to my local area. If you're not dealing with warranty, and do your own work, then dealer service means nothing. My last boat was a 5-hours one way to get it.
Old     (Mazdarx)      Join Date: Mar 2014       09-17-2017, 12:44 AM Reply   
I drove something like 11 or 12 hours to get my current boat. I live right near Vancouver BC and I drove to Klamath Falls which is in southern Oregon. Wasn't necessarily cheaper than buying local but there was nothing I liked nearby when I was buying. Since then of course there has been several nearby I would've bought but oh well. I do enjoy my sky supreme.
Old     (JCleary)      Join Date: Dec 2016       09-17-2017, 3:52 PM Reply   
true. With used it doesn't matter... Guess I just assumed the reference was to new. If it was a good deal, I'd travel very far...
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       09-17-2017, 8:45 PM Reply   
I’m in the process of buying a tige out of Arizona and I’m from BC. Call me crazy.
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       09-17-2017, 8:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Can you not just rent a basic heavy duty truck? Where I live there’s a ton of 1ton ford rental trucks..