Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-10-2015, 12:56 PM Reply   
Just noticed these things today. Has anyone used one on their tower? None of our crew cares about being blasted out of the boat by Rev10s and no one who rides cares about hearing music while they wakeboard. Was wondering if one of these would work well enough to give someone surfing loud enough tunes while they surf and a little extra sound for the cabin area folks while others wakeboard? Seems like these bars would be perfect for a center console bimini mount or a UTV.

Also can't tell if the Stealth 6 or 10 is able to be powered by an amp or does it require a regular Stealth bar w/ the amp to power the Core version. Anyone know?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-10-2015, 2:19 PM Reply   
The Stealth bars come in both white and black and self powered and non powered.

IMO, your reason for discounting the rev-10 or other larger speaker, is backwards. its going to require a certain level of volume for your surfer to hear the music above the engine, water and wind noise. if you feel that the larger Rev-10 is going to "blast out" your passengers, then a smaller set of speakers will certainly do the same. The difference between a larger speaker and a smaller speaker is mid-bass sound quality.

I would consider the Icon-8 or the Rev-10
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-10-2015, 5:24 PM Reply   
That was the point of my question. Are the sound bars as loud as Rev10s/Icon8s? If they are and the mid bass is the only issue for the price difference I can live without the mid bass and just turn the amp down for it. I just know every boat I've been on that has Rev8/10s on the tower it is painful to sit on the business end of the speakers. Also they cost a lot and require a stout amp to push them which costs even more. I was wondering if the sound bars would put out a decent enough sound to hear while surfing. I just don't think I have a need for the capability of the bigger tower speakers or the extra cash to drop on them. I don't want to drop a couple of thousand on something I know we want use the full capacity of. If the sound bars are loud enough to hear ok while surfing, and again not while wakeboarding, that would be a better fit for us. Also didn't mention this but the current tower speakers we have get in the way of the bimini going up which is on the of reasons why I went looking for a different option than big ass cans on the tower. So two things driving my question really cost and how much space under the tower they take up.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2015, 8:22 AM Reply   
To answer your Question Yes a Stealth 10 would work for Wakesurfing no problem. I have one mounted in my GEM car and it's plenty loud. (Disclaimer) in the GEM car it's only 2 feet away from your Ears so that may make a difference. Depending on how loud your expecting it to be will determine weather your happy or not. I would recommend hearing one in person first before letting someone like me tell you it will be plenty loud. This way you will know first hand b4 you buy.

Expecting it the throw sound back like you would expect a tower speaker is asking a lot. When you see how compact the speakers are in the Stealth it's pretty amazing how loud and clean they are.
They are built very well and no doubt you will be happy with the build quality and finish. I have seen a few videos where people have a stealth sound bar mounted on a tower of a center console fishing boat. They fit and look awesome
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2015, 8:29 AM Reply   
BTW; My stealth 10 sound bar is a self powerd unit With full range outputs that go to a wetsounds Amp to power 2 of the 6inch subs.
Attached Images

Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-11-2015, 9:25 AM Reply   
I would just do REV 10's they sound very good close range. There is a little knob called volume you don't have to crank them all the way up and blast out people in the boat. The REV's , sound bar and coaxial are going to be close to the same volume for surfer to hear. It's just the REV's and the correct amp will just do it with ease.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-11-2015, 11:52 AM Reply   
Ronnie,

Its not a question of which can play the loudest, but a question of which is going to sound the best when IT IS loud enough for your surfer to hear. Its going to take X db's to overcome the engine wind and water noise in order for your surfer to hear the music, regardless of which speaker you go with. In theory, the larger speaker is the most pleasing. This contradicts your reason for discounting the larger speaker.

If bimini clearance is an issue, then you can consider 2 pair of 6.5" speakers.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-11-2015, 10:21 PM Reply   
So to recap only one person actually uses a stealth bar responded and they stated that it should be clear enough at surfing distance. I honestly don't want to spend over 2 grand for tower speakers and an amp that I will never want to turn even close to all the way up. Me personally think it's a waste of money for a setup that is overkill for what we need that I could use on gas to ride more or something more constructive. To each his own though on that. Thus my question about the sound bar. So if it will be clear enough to hear I'll run someone down local that has one and ride in my truck at about 15 mph windows down behind them and see what it sounds like. If it will work it will a) save some money on new tower sound, b) easily clear bimini going up, and c) get the tower tunes working again for cruising and surfing.

Seems like the general consensus is big ass speakers and amps or your setup will suck lol. Seriously I do appreciate the opinions and time spent posting them. I didn't want to waste time trying to find some local with one for a test run if they weren't any good.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-11-2015, 10:24 PM Reply   
"G" nice boat choice in background and nice setup on UTV. Have an 03 SANTE that one an 02?
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       10-12-2015, 5:50 AM Reply   
IMO you couldn't be more wrong in any of your statements. It's not the in thing to have bigger more exspensive tower speakers,they work that's why they're popular. And if the rev 10's direction are adjusted appropriately the sound projects over the back seat,a lot of them are adjusted level with the boat in which case they blast the passengers. They are exspensive but your favorite song whole riding butter is priceless!
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       10-12-2015, 6:19 AM Reply   
to the op...
we primarily surf. 4 icon-8's was the answer with a modest arc amp(and probably could have gotten by with 1pr but I like the looks of 2 on the tige towers). I listened to rev10's and thought they were kinda bright(like most hlcd drivers) and we did not want/need wakeboard range volumes nor the loudest boat at the party cove. icon's fit the bill, sound musical and can be heard quite cleanly at surf speeds/distance.

good luck.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-12-2015, 10:59 AM Reply   
Depending on how loud your boat is ect. Example do you have a "Sideswipe exhaust" or a "Fresh Air exhaust" ext. Depending on how loud things are at the back of your boat could make a huge difference.

Personally I think the Stealth will work. I think it will be operating right at the top end of its range or close to it. Some people like to have head room in there system so I understand why people are recommending a traditional set up. I don't think you would have any problem selling a used stealth in the event you didn't like it.
It sounds like you just need some basic sound and I think the stealth would work out fine for you.

Yes my Air is a 02 and I like you don't like loud music and hardly ever turn it up!
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       10-12-2015, 11:28 AM Reply   
Hey G, I am thinking about putting one of these in my polaris ranger. Do you think the 6 would work or should i go with the 10? It will be mainly for cruising and I don't need to be able to blare it for the whole neighborhood...
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-12-2015, 3:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandm01 View Post
to the op...
we primarily surf. 4 icon-8's was the answer with a modest arc amp(and probably could have gotten by with 1pr but I like the looks of 2 on the tige towers). I listened to rev10's and thought they were kinda bright(like most hlcd drivers) and we did not want/need wakeboard range volumes nor the loudest boat at the party cove. icon's fit the bill, sound musical and can be heard quite cleanly at surf speeds/distance.

good luck.
Will look into these as well. Might fit the bill better for a little more cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Depending on how loud your boat is ect. Example do you have a "Sideswipe exhaust" or a "Fresh Air exhaust" ext. Depending on how loud things are at the back of your boat could make a huge difference.

Personally I think the Stealth will work. I think it will be operating right at the top end of its range or close to it. Some people like to have head room in there system so I understand why people are recommending a traditional set up. I don't think you would have any problem selling a used stealth in the event you didn't like it.
It sounds like you just need some basic sound and I think the stealth would work out fine for you.

Yes my Air is a 02 and I like you don't like loud music and hardly ever turn it up!
Yeah I can see that too that some people would want the extra ability to be loud as hell at party cove or whatever. I get that it's just not what I'm looking for. Found someone with a Stealth 10 on their UTV that I can listen to. Going to follow him on a golf cart and see how it sounds. Appreciate the responses and sorry if I touched any nerves on the traditional setups. Not my intent.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-12-2015, 8:43 PM Reply   
Stealth 6 only if you don't have the room. A gas powerd UTV is gonna be loud just because it is what it is so IMO a stealth 10 is the ticket
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-12-2015, 10:01 PM Reply   
I was thinking the 10 might be the best fit. Fortunately I think my friend has a 10 so I can hear it live behind the UTV.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-13-2015, 9:55 AM Reply   
I have a DB meter I can do little test. Tell me how far past the Steath 10 you would like a Measurment of DB. Of corse it's not going to be scientific but it will give you a Idea of how loud
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-13-2015, 10:18 PM Reply   
Guessing about 20-25'