Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-19-2015, 7:50 PM Reply   
After my gf's grandpa passed, the widow got rid of their travel trailer and now she is planning on selling this as well. I have been helping her, but really up in the air on price for this truck. Here are the basics... they bought it brand new, ALWAYS garaged, really only used it to pull the travel trailer. What do you think its worth? Not a lot out there to compare it too... and anything similar seems to be in horrible shape

1995 Ford F350
NOT 4x4
7.4 V8 (gasser)
59,900 miles
Meticulously dealer maintained with all the receipts to prove it.
Attached Images

Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-19-2015, 7:53 PM Reply   
kbb.com will tell you
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-20-2015, 4:00 PM Reply   
Probably like $2,000-2500.
It is well maintained and will tow well, but you can pick up the next gen F series, 4x4, for around $4-6k.
I just traded in my 76 for a 98 and picked it up for that.
They're good trucks, but I wouldn't pay a ton for it, especially being 2wd. I know when I towed with my 76 which was 2wd, I sure wish I had 4x4 when I was pulling the trailer up a steep, slick, ramp. With the boat on and the weight in the back, it wasn't bad, but it was "fun" hooking up otherwise.
Old     (chevboy171)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-20-2015, 9:42 PM Reply   
I'll pay $2500 for that thing right now!

My take is that it would take awhile to find the right buyer for that, but it's extremely hard to find any heavy duty truck in that good of shape for less than $10k. My dart throw realistic appraisal is like $5-6k but be patient to find the right buyer. KBB and NADA are not good at assessing older rigs in my opinion.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2015, 11:30 PM Reply   
Agreed.^^^
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-21-2015, 6:56 AM Reply   
Polish the hell out of that thing, plastidip the wheels black and put that thing on ebay. In the meantime, park it at the nearest Home Depot near the contractor's loading zone with a for sale sign in the window.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-21-2015, 7:16 AM Reply   
I might be the minority here, but I bet you can do pretty well on it. I would shoot for $10K. Negatives are the color and it is a gasser, but it will move. My budy just sold a similar square body ford gasser with 115K miles and got 10K. It was a gasser, but 4door and good colors. That is an extended cab and his was a true 4door. Might not sell over night, but I would list it for $10k... I would also happily give you $2500 cash for it today and have it shipped to Oregon. Let me know where to wire the money...
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-21-2015, 7:43 AM Reply   
Just for reference, a search around here reveals that gen (92-96) going for $2200-4500. All of them 4 door crew cabs, which are the most desirable.
There is one that is almost exact same condition and miles as yours, but is a utility bed version. You know, the kind you see the pud, cable, and rail road guys use, with the utility lockers on the side. A more specialized version that has additional equipment added that adds a premium. This particular one is the highest, at $6.600.

You may get 5-6k out of it on a good day from the right buyer, but I would realistically expect under $4k-ish for it.
Your market may be higher or lower priced, but I think that's a fair ball park.

I know when I was looking for a new(to me) truck a few weeks ago for under $5k, there were plenty of these that popped up. Even in good condition with lower miles, I still opted for one of a more current generation. 1997+, when they did a redesign of the F-series and they look like a modern truck. There is nothing wrong with the square bodied Fords at all, (73-96), but at that point they were just mildly tweaking the platform. A lot of the parts, even down to the seats are interchangeable through those years. Most people looking for a truck will look for something that at least looks more current.
That being said, it's an helluva truck. My uncle had a foundation business and bought one. He found out it'd be cheaper to buy a second specifically for work and write it off than just buy one. So he bought 2 95 F350 supercabs, both diesel though.

Also, does your truck have jump seats or a full bench? They came with options for both, a full bench is preferred, jump seats can affect the value.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-23-2015, 7:29 AM Reply   
thanks for the feedback everyone.

I think i'd even consider buying it if it gets below 4k! Unfortunate that its a dually though.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       04-23-2015, 8:48 PM Reply   
That's a solid $2500 truck, maybe up to $3500 for the right person. The problem is it's 2wd. If 4x4 you could double that price easily with a price ceiling in the $10k-$12k range for a 4x4 manual trans truck with a Dana 60 front. Fortunately they are very easy to convert, but the conversion will run you $1000-$1500 for an axle and misc bits then another $1000 for a trans, transfer case and driveshafts. So $2500 to convert it and you've still got an EFI 460. They're fine engines mechanically but the EFI heads have major restrictions and reduced power output tremendously over the earlier heads. Figure another $1500 to get E6TE or D3VE heads, port them, valve job, headers, intake, carb, and desmog the rest of it along with a new cam to make decent power. $2500-$3000 for a full rebuild to 450hp/550 ft/lbs for a solid tow pig build.

Regardless, it's a great truck. They made these trucks for 17 years, from 1980-1997, and they're the only trucks I'll own. I would never touch a newer truck, too many reliability issues, too much of a pain to work on, expensive, fragile, complex, etc. Finding a 4x4 SRW truck is a challenge, it took me about a year and I paid $4000 for my 86 which I had to drive a few hundred miles to get. Sometimes it's better to buy a solid well cared for truck that you can make into whatever you want. If you really want SRW 4x4 an axle and bed swap is not difficult, but for a truck that doesn't need paint I wouldn't be swapping beds and repainting, I'd live with the DRW.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-24-2015, 9:56 AM Reply   
Totally missed this is a 4x2. Now I am starting to agree with everyone else on price.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-29-2015, 10:46 AM Reply   
Sweet truck! Being an original 20yr old, clean low mile big block will help.
I wouldn't give you $100 today for a hauler that gets 7mpg downhill with a tailwind, lol, but then I already have 2 trucks right now.
This was the kind of truck I was looking for when I quit my job, had to get a personal truck again, to build a house years ago.
If I was in the market right now in the same situation, I'd drop $5k on that truck in a heartbeat. IMO there's a market for a simple low mile, clean hauler like that.
Small contractor or new RVer on a budget will buy it.
Good luck with the sale. BTW that would be a pretty nasty boat hauler if you lowered it an blacked the wheels!