Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    dbrayton1            08-25-2014, 7:47 PM Reply   
DFW riders, we keep our boat at Lewisville but want to try something else this weekend to escape the holiday crowds. Any thoughts on Ray Roberts and/or Texoma?

My concerns are that Ray Roberts seems to have trees in most of the coves. So basically left with the dam, which will probably be crowded anyway. I went there a while back and it just didn't seem as big as Lewisville even though it is actually slightly bigger.

And Texoma is so big. Any chance of finding some good water for boarding there? Maybe in little mineral branch?

Any suggestions on where to go in either lake would be much appreciated. Also willing to drive further. Looking for ideas.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-25-2014, 8:05 PM Reply   
Check out broken bow, ok. A lot of DFW ppl head up there on holidays. Great camping and the cabins are really nice too. Really nice scenery, clear water, and not too crowded. Also check out kayaking if you wanna do something different one day.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-26-2014, 4:55 AM Reply   
Labor day by the way
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       08-26-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
I live on Lake Tawokoni about an hour east of dallas. Its never crowded because everyone looks at it as a fishing lake. I have lived on Tawokoni for 20+ years and its never crowded on holidays and we have travled to alot of lakes and still have not found better water. If your looking to ride more than party I would give it a shot for sure. We will be out there saterday - monday so hit me up and I can show your where to lauch and good places to find smooth water.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-26-2014, 7:13 AM Reply   
Ray Roberts is 30 minutes away and it used to be a lot less crowded. Broken Bow will have butter, but it is a big drive to get there.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-26-2014, 12:30 PM Reply   
Texoma is an ok lake if you want to drive far enough to find good water you should be able to most days. I would rather drive to Broken Bow,Waco, or to an east Texas lake where good water is easier to find.

Lewisville is a horrible lake you should move your boat to Lavon.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       08-26-2014, 2:16 PM Reply   
Broken Bow is a really nice lake. They do usually have un-official speed boat races this weekend also. It is pretty entertaining.... just don't park down in the race cove.

We were going to Broken Bow, but cancelled and will just stay at our local lake (Pat Mayse) for the weekend.
Old     (MBofTexas)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-26-2014, 5:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Ray Roberts is 30 minutes away and it used to be a lot less crowded. Broken Bow will have butter, but it is a big drive to get there.
Ray Roberts is my home lake. Over the last couple of years it has turned into a professional tuber lake on weekends. Although they can use many parts of the lake they choose to use what few coves and the dam where most would go to board or surf. There are also a ton of wave runners etc. Now that act like idiots. While kids are out of school we choose to go during the week to get our boarding and take friends on weekend with every other amateur who has no water etiquette.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-26-2014, 6:21 PM Reply   
Lake Murray is clear and a cool lake but any lake is going to be a zoo this holiday..
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-26-2014, 7:04 PM Reply   
They'll all be a zoo, but Lewi will be a scary circus.

Eufala looked nice driving over, straight up 75
Old     (duderdude1)      Join Date: Mar 2014       08-27-2014, 2:58 PM Reply   
We are at Texoma every weekend and it all depends on the winds. The island will be crowded with people partying and 1st time jet ski riders. Had great riding two weeks ago after a storm front rolled through. Hope you find a lake to get away from the crazy on.
Old    dbrayton1            09-01-2014, 6:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions. We definitely need to try some of the Oklahoma lakes, but ultimately went for convenience. From about 8 am to noon each day at Lewisville was perfect. I guess there is a correlation between being a total dbag and or moron and not being able to get to the lake before noon ;-)

This is the formula for success on a holiday weekend:

Surfed in the am...

Then chilled in a cove during the pm...

Getting back to the slip around the maze of testosterone boats, jet skis, and random people in pontoons with tubes that come to the lake three weekends a year to wreak havoc was a little challenging, but worth it.