Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-24-2014, 5:20 AM Reply   
Ok I am amping up the tower situation this year and I am looking to do 2 pair of REV 10's and a single 410. What do you think of powering them all off of the SD6? I know I would be a little short on the 410 power wise but over on the 10's. Thought ideas ect?
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-24-2014, 6:14 AM Reply   
I personally wouldn't run all the speakers off the SD6. Is run the 410 bridged, and a pair of rev 10s bridged on the SD6 for 585 watts rms per pod. Than maybe an SD2 for the other pair of 10s for 400 watts rms. You'd be way underpowered on the rev 10s if you ran them to each channel of the SD6 at like 185 watts since they are 4 ohm speakers. And you can't parallel and bridge them since it only is stable at 4 ohms bridged.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-24-2014, 6:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark197 View Post
Ok I am amping up the tower situation this year and I am looking to do 2 pair of REV 10's and a single 410. What do you think of powering them all off of the SD6? I know I would be a little short on the 410 power wise but over on the 10's. Thought ideas ect?
With the Wetsounds SD6 amplifier, the bridged Rev410 scenario is okay at 585 watts, but the four discrete channels running the four Rev10s would be 185 watts per speaker which is lite. Perhaps you looked at the 290 watts 2-ohm power which wouldn't apply.
The larger 10-inch tower speakers are actually more efficient and will play louder with lower power than a smaller model, however, it's really a matter of trying to get closer to the larger speaker's potential.
You need more than one amplifier to properly power this five speaker combo.
(2) bridged Syn4 + (1) bridged Syn2 is a very balanced approach to power for this combo.
(1) SD2 can drive the four Rev10s. Two bridged channels of (1) SD4 preferrably, or two channels of an SD6, could drive the Rev410 if you have other inboat roles for the remaining channels.
There are other yet-to-be-discussed higher power scenarios that would over-power the speakers, not that this hasn't been done sucessfully, but requires some restraint. If you are using that extra power for dynamic headroom....that's good. If you are using that continuous power to push the speakers into dynamic compression....that's bad.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-24-2014, 5:31 PM Reply   
David I am looking to help my uncle out with his system, What we were looking to do is run 4 rev 10's and a 410 powered by an SD series because we are going with the XS-XXX powered by the SD2. His big thing is matching amps / equipment. I want to stick with the syn series but the SYN2 will never drive the XS adequately.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-24-2014, 5:51 PM Reply   
Okay, so if you ran four Rev10s off a single SD2 then an ideal amplifier for a single Rev410 would be one half of an SD4 bridged. The other half of the SD4 could be run in stereo at 2-ohms driving four inboat coaxials with two in parallel per channel. Then the question becomes, how many inboat coaxials do you need to run?
If you needed more inboat channels you could a) run an SD6. However, I would prefer to have a little more than double the power to the Rev410 as compared to each Rev10 rather than a little less, or b) supplement the SD4 with a smaller two-channel amplifier for the additional inboats that is concealed. It would be your secret.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-24-2014, 6:03 PM Reply   
Why not 2 SD-6's for the Rev-410 and 2 pair Rev-10? That leaves 2 open chnls for two pair of in-boats.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-24-2014, 6:58 PM Reply   
Mike If that would fly it would greatly help my situation. He has a 2013 MXZ with the 6- 8" Rockfords and 2-6.5 in boat. I could easily drive the 4 in boats with the extra channels on the SD-6's with a lot of headroom. I would sell off all of the factory RF equipment and the WS 696RS's to offset the cost.

Otherwise I will be running what Dave suggested and stash on of the RF amps.