Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-20-2014, 1:10 PM Reply   
In the market for some new sunglasses and was going to see what everybody was wearing these days. I'm coming from a pair of polarized Oakley Hijinx. I've enjoyed them and like the Oakleys, but I think their lenses scratch far too easily. My current pair is unwearable as I can hardly see out the lenses anymore, and I tend to take pretty good care of my glasses.

So any other brand/style recommendations? I know a lot of this is personal preference but maybe there are some brands you guys have had good success with quality wise. I'm not a big fan of what I consider 80's throwback shades like the Oakley Frogskins. Maybe I'm just old, but they don't work for me.

Here is what I have currently:
Attached Images

Old     (Brett002)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-21-2014, 8:15 AM Reply   
I am currently rocking the Dragon Shields Matte Black/ Blue-Ion Polar, these are Mick Fanning signature editions.... Hands down, best shades I have ever owned, and I've owned them all. They come with a scratch resistant coating (among other coatings) that I was really scepticle of, but after seeing them slide numerous times, lense down, on the concrete/ asphalt.... I'm a true believer in this miracle coating.

I have had them about a year, and they are still as clear as the day they were bought. They have a few micro-scratches, I just pulled them off my hat and looked.

I love the lenses also, extremely high def, great in extremely sunny conditions, due to the ion coating. Let the sun go behind the clouds, or let it start to get dark or rainy, and this is where the actual amber lens comes into play..... Best of both worlds......

Maybe there are some others out there with these shades, and can back me up,
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-21-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
any pair of Costa's with the 580 lenses
Old     (Brett002)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-21-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
Don't forget that the dragon's come with a cool logo sticker you can stick on your board and pretend your sponsored.

"All the cool kids are doing it"

If you buy the shades, then have to buy a sticker to put on your board, that should be a deal breaker right there.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       01-21-2014, 11:18 AM Reply   
Love von zippers they fit like no other.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-21-2014, 12:26 PM Reply   
If you have some coin to drop and you take care of your sunglasses, then I would take a look at Kaenon. Best pair of sunglasses I've EVER worn.

I had a pair for a few years then finally lost them at the lake on account of my dog. I've been wanting a pair of these as a replacement for a long time:

http://www.kaenon.com/
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-21-2014, 5:13 PM Reply   
Last week I was looking up stuff about sunglasses like lense quality and stuff and I stumbled upon this video.

Pretty crazy business

Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-22-2014, 6:36 PM Reply   
Midwest shades
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-22-2014, 7:02 PM Reply   
Electrics
Old     (riderx77)      Join Date: May 2001       01-23-2014, 7:52 AM Reply   
Seconded on Midwest Shades. midwestshades.com.

For polarized and non-polarized, you can't beat the style and price. You can rock 2-4 pairs for the price of someone the other brands.