Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-26-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
I found this on ebay and I am sure others have seen it, but just curious if this is a good deal for a starter V-drive.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...mZ260774495863
I researched the hell out of Diamond cut hulls last night and I know most said they suck for WB but this boat may be in my price range right now. Any and all opinions welcome!
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-26-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
I bet that boats seen a lot of salt water, and if all you want to do is wakeboard stay away from the Diamond Hull.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-26-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
Florida to Arizona, that's an awfully long way to go for a sight unseen boat. New trailer and engine at 630 hours. What happened.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-26-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
I emailed the guy this morning, but havnt heard back yet, but I am willing to bet that the boat was on a lake and didn't need a trailer. As far as the engine goes, that is what I asked and yes it is a long way to go, but out here V drives in that price range are far and few between. I have budget of about 21K.
The add did say only the last 60 hrs on brackish H20 but who knows. I honestly would only buy it if it was at about 15K at the end of the auction.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-26-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
$21k should buy you a lot of different v-drives.. That boat is clean as **** but if you want to board - the diamond hull isn't the best.. Lots of Moombas, Centurions, etc in your price range..

Should be able to find a 03-04'ish Mobius for that price.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-26-2011, 1:45 PM Reply   
I have seriously hit up evey web site I can think of trying to find something in that price range within 500 miles of AZ and really have not had much luck. Found a few but they needed some serious work or had over 650 hours. If anyone has any links or know of anyone with something in that price range, let me know.
Old    jdgreen1            04-26-2011, 2:12 PM Reply   
Again, if you are going to spend most of your time wakeboarding then pass on the diamond hull. It is a much better hull for skiing.

I would also be wary of the remanned engine. Double check that any warranty will transfer to you and your local mechanic will be able to perform the work. If there is no warranty, then I wouldn't touch it.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-26-2011, 2:33 PM Reply   
v drive with ballast, tower and speed control for under $20K? You don't see very many of those. I've seen pics of people throwing inverts behind diamond hulled vlx's on malibucrew. From what I've read, I think you can get an acceptable (if not pro-level huge) wake out of one without much trouble.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-26-2011, 3:22 PM Reply   
the diamond hull is harder to sink, its still the sv23 hull without the cutbacks on the rear corners to allow the boat to sink. if you load it up it will make a great wake. There are alot of boats in the north east. i know its far but with the seasons alot of people sell there boats for less in hopes of moving them faster. My buddy just picked up a 2004 moomba mobius for 18k, look for a vride 05 06, its the old vlx with the sv23 wake hull, i have seen them in the low 20's good luck
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-26-2011, 3:32 PM Reply   
here is a good way to search, if you are looking in close by states... http://www.crazedlist.org use firefox though
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-26-2011, 6:55 PM Reply   
Be patient. I was so anxious to buy a boat last fall after I sold my prostar. I looked at so many boats and was worried that I would never find a boat in my price range. I would recommend that you pass on boats that you don't have a great feeling about. I ended up in a really low hour (~100) Sanger V210 for barely more than your budget (23k). I looked for months and months and found quite a few different boats in this range, a lot of Moombas, older MCs, older Malibus, tons and tons of Centurions and Supremes.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-27-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
Makes me think of my college days. At the end of every semester I would haul a boat from Florida to home north of Chicago. The price difference in the early 80's netted a few grand per boat. I was able to use the boat and make money and 2 to 3 grand a semester was good money back then for a college kid. I don't know if they type of price difference exists today.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-27-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the crazedlist link. Its pretty sweet. Unfortunately I didn't come across anything legit. Couple nice wakesetters for $8500 being sold by a Nigerian lady going through a divorce I'll definately keep looking. I would love to find a Sanger or Centurion as they are probably at the top of my list. Does seem that Sangers are getting harder to find though.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-27-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
The Diamond hull effect is going to hurt your wake at boarding speeds. But at skiing speeds, it'll sit up higher. When I was test riding boats, I couldn't tell the difference at 25 mph.

Heres another CL search tool: http://www.allofcraigs.com/

Regardless of how far you go for a boat, get a local to go look at it for you. I had it done when I looked at the boat I have now. And I've done it for other guys too. I'm sure you can find someone in this forum or any others your a member of. Even if you had to pay a shop to do an inspection, it would be money well spent.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-27-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
Here you go man. Denver isn't that far from AZ. I can even check this boat out for you if you like.

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/2349456061.html
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-28-2011, 8:08 AM Reply   
Here is a clean older centurion in your price range http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/2348343405.htmle its a trip but you could always offer price minus shipping lots of threads on here on how to ship also its close so I could check it out for you as well
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-28-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
Thanks for those links and I will check them out for sure. As far as that mastercraft on ebay, the auction ended early. Makes you wonder. Anyway, I also came across a 2002 Nautique super sport with 190 hours. For 24K and a 2001 Pro Air for 22K. I really want the V drive, but the pro air looks a little better and has a dual axle trailer where the 2002 SS has a single axle trailer. Just not sure if the price on the 2002 is too high. Honestly seems like a decent deal to me, Has the GT40 motor but not alot more, Kind of plain jane. Anyway I am gonna go look at it this weekend.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-28-2011, 9:21 AM Reply   
Are you talking about the mastercraft I linked?
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-28-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
Bruizz-No it was one that was on ebay that I started this thread with. I looked at that one you linked on Craigslist and it is really nice. Just wish it had a dual axle trailer.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-28-2011, 9:41 AM Reply   
What about this one? Looks local(ish) to you? See if the owner will deal....

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/2348473183.html
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-28-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
Ahh gotcha. For what it is worth you started this thread about a Malibu not a MC lol. I think you will end up with something nice in the end. Seems like boats popping up in your price range every couple of days. I also prefer the dual axle trailers to the single but if everything else with the boat checks out it might be worth dealing with the single axle until you can upgrade trailers.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-28-2011, 10:31 AM Reply   
Yeah I saw that one but thought it was a little high due to the hours. I have about 21K to spend Max and not sure if he would come down. There was a guy with a 2002 Centurion Cyclone for 24K and he was supposedly motivated too. I emailed him 3 times and never got a response. I may just hit this guy up and see what he says. Couldn't hurt I guess and yes he is really local. Within 20 miles.