Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
Hey guys, we're headed to Cabo in a couple weeks for our annual trip. I think it was E.J. in the Cigar thread that brought up some question as to the safety of travel. I was curious if anybody has every actually had any firsthand experience with problems in Mexico. We've been going for 10 years now and I haven't seen any changes. We stick with Cabo (which is pretty americanized these days). Aside from there being a Ruth Chris, time share salesmen and a Costco (with a great tequila selection), I've never felt threatened in any way.

If I were to make a statement it'd be to stay away from the border towns. Just cusious if anyone has had another experience. For the last few years the standard response I get from people is "wow, I can't believe you're going to mexico. Have you heard how unsafe it is?"
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-06-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
I go to mexico 2/3 times a year...resort towns only. ( both coasts) I have never once felt unsafe. tourism is a main source of revenue for mexico...keeping tourist destinations safe has to be a main priority for them?

I was in Cabo end of may/early june. I'll be a few hours south of cancun in november.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
I just got back from Cabo last night. It was my first time, and I thought it was going to be worse. There were definitely some sketchy looking areas just a few blocks from our resort (the ME). However, we usually walked to our destinations during the day and got a taxi during the evening/night. I probably would have felt a lot more comfortable if we went with more people (it was just my wife and I).
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-06-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
we just booked a family vacation with kids at Riviera Maya. I was there last year and it was fine.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-06-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
Nothing against Mexico (and I've been this year) but keep in mind that such destinations always feel fine/safe right up until the moment they're not for you.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
Andy... I agree with you, but the same could be said about San Francisco. I've never felt any more in harms way walking around in downtown Cabo than I have walking around in the city. I think the most important thing is knowing what's a good idea, and what isn't. Don't walk around late at night by yourself.

FWIW, I've actually had worse encounters in Hawaii, than in Mexico.

I was really just curious to see where people get the basis for their warnings. I was thinking I may just be naive.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-06-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
Just don't run around flashing wads of cash and you should be fine. Get yourself one of those money wallets that goes in your waste or on your ankle. Keep a few bucks in your pocket but not enough to make you attractive to anyone. The Mexico issues are money related. How many poor people get kidnapped? What would the benefit be from that?
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-06-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
I was just at Cabo this past year with my family and walked all around town with no problems. It's probably about as safe as any big city in the U.S., all of which have their bad parts.

Where are you staying anyway? Imo, you can't beat one of the hotels on Medano beach with the family where it's safe to swim and being close to all the beach action. Casa Dorada is next on my list, being right on the beach and right by 'The Office'.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
Brett, we've got a timeshare at Sheriton Hacienda Del Mar. It's a nice combonation of privacy and access to downtown. It's 7 miles outside of town with it's own private beach. You can stay right there and relax, or hit the town with a quick taxi ride. We usually go into town at least once a day for jetski's, boat trips, etc, or for dinner/after dinner partying. I can't wait to get there. I love floating around in the nice warm ocean.

Is Casa Dorada on the Marina side of the Office, or on the far side? That's a cool section of beach. You can kill a lot of time at the Office and Mango Deck. Also, the Baja Cantina is a killer spot for dinner and it's an easy walk to Peacock's and the Trailer Park (La Galondrina?). All worthwhile stops for dinner if you haven't tried them yet.

Did you guys have any favorite food spots? I'm always looking for something new down there. Anybody play golf while you were there? I've only played the Country Club course (which is super jenky, but it was free). I'd like to play somewhere else, but the $250+ green fee's have kept me away.

Nick... That shouldn't be a problem as I don't have any wads of cash. Ha, ha, ha.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-06-2010, 3:36 PM Reply   
Evan, I frequent Mexico quite a bit and have never had any problems. Even on the Border towns when I was driving alone in my corvette. Granted I haven't been to Juarez which I hear is the worst but running to Mexico for work in Tijuana I've never had one problem.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-06-2010, 5:15 PM Reply   
Casa Dorada is right on Medano Beach.

For restaurants, there's this little strip in the back corner of the marina area with a few good ones. One is Alexander's. You can see another place called Lorenzillo's from there. We didn't eat at Lorenzillo's because it smelled like bleach/cleaning supplies when we walked in. We liked a few of the restaurants on that little strip, though. Just google the names of the restaurants in Cabo to find where they are. When you walk that little strip, they have people in front of each restaurant begging you to come to there's and offering you some sort of little deal.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-06-2010, 5:30 PM Reply   
Never had any problem in Cabo. Have a friend I went to highschool who lives in San Jose just down the road and is loving raising her 3 yr old daughter there. Her Husband is a teacher at a local school. As mentioned above i get more sketched out walking in SF than Cabo for sure. Its pretty annoying when you tell someone your going to Mexico and they go crazy about all the violence and crap. I think the someone sponsors some of the media to blow up these stories to try to keep american dollars her in the USA lol Atleast when you go to Cabo you get treated like a king or queen and you can do it really cheap. I've heard plenty stories about people going to hawaii and getting treated like crap at bars and resturants while paying big dollars to eat there. The locals in Cabo know where the money comes from. Tourism is the industry. There are articles and tv shows locally that gear the locals to accept all tourists and treating them good so they spread the word and return. I always joke that even the drug dealers you run into down there are pretty polite.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-06-2010, 5:39 PM Reply   
Evan- You ever been to Gordo LeLes?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
Brett, I've been to Lorenzillo's. It's actually pretty decent. Pretty expensive, but the outdoor, on the roof, over the marina, experience is worth it. Plus they have a nice wine list and fresh oysters if you're into that. Service is top notch. Is Alexanders the old converted house on the hill above The Office? If not, I'll have to check it out.

Richard, No. Tell me more. Where is it?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-06-2010, 6:36 PM Reply   
Richard, it is unfortunate that you are annoyed at that information.....

The end of the day, I wish all well and enjoy and have safe travels wherever you go....Mexico, Europe...wherever... It seems that Americans are targets all over the Globe, but if you think that Drug Dealers in Mexico have any worry about getting tourist dollars to their cities, I think you are mistaken.

I have talked with some friends/colleagues fairly close to the frontlines in this area, their response.... "It is &^%*ing crazy down there right now." Actually talked about it a little over poker last Saturday.

I have been to Mexico numerous times and never had an issue. But I actually cancelled a trip to Cancun related to my talks with an individual earlier in the year. I forwarded that same information to one of my best friends, he has been to Cabo twice since and never had an issue....AND we would be hearing if Americans tourists were being killed left and right down there...

So take it all with a grain of salt.... Maybe I am sketched about it and feel whatever risk there is, I will not take....fair enough.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-06-2010, 6:53 PM Reply   
Look up Capt. Josh Temple on the Torture Chamber Charters. World record YF tuna > 230 lbs. get yer sissy butt on the rail and pull like a man. Sushimi all around baby.
Josh is world renown don't take my word, Goggle will confirm quickly,

A trip on his boat in YFT season is very very high on my bucket list.

You have no idea how a giant tuna can pull.

Have fun and be safe.

Oh yeah....... Book Josh! You can golf anywhere.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-06-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
Alexanders is down on the marina. Good food kinda pricey for cabo but not bad, i enjoy it. I really like Mamas for breakfast! Stuffed french toast is unreal..

Gordos is a MUST!! Hit him up for luch, best tacos in Cabo, super cheap, may have to bring your own beer though lol there are acouple small stores on the way, sometimes he has beer on ice. Make sure he sings you a few songs, may be the highlight of your trip.

Here is a map of his and many other resturants and reviews i like to keep any eye on.

http://www.trapperscabolist.com/

http://www.trapperscabolist.com/trappers_list.html
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-06-2010, 7:09 PM Reply   
I hear you E.J. but IMO Cabo is totally different than the rest of Mexico. The numbers dont lie. Its not ran by drug dealers etc ... Its basically in the middle of knowere all by itself at the tip of baja and doest attract the cartels like allot of the other cities. When i said drug dealers i was refering to the small time guys trying to sell you some nasty ass moldy weed for acouple bucks. Anyone who says Cabo isnt safe is misinformed. Ever seen Cabo on the news for drug wars etc?

All this is related to Cabo, i reaiize there is violence all over Mexico, esp border towns. Obivoulsy i would'nt say its safe at those places and honestly i would'nt travel anywhere in Mexico besides Cabo because i love it so much there.

Last edited by mendo247; 10-06-2010 at 7:15 PM.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-07-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
http://www.khou.com/news/local/Perry...104483549.html
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-07-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
Adam, interesting, but that's a completely different world from the part of Mexico that I would consider visiting.

Thanks for the recomendations, Rich.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-07-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
Just rock it like Kenny Powers and you should be fine!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4AfU99J3Lg
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-08-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
Evan, I still stand by my original post, you have nothin to worry about. Be smart, like you would in any foreign country or big city.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-08-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
Thanks for starting this thread Evan.. great information here.

We're also heading to Cabo next week and neither of us have ever been to Mexico.. so no idea what to expect.

Anyone have an opinion on Mi Casa or Pancho's?
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-08-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Plug for my friend Kayce's wake camp in acapulco: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Acapul...22104257814203
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-08-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
Mi Casa gets great reviews.. Honestly I was'nt super impressed, think my expectations were set alittle to high but it was good and the atmosphere was fun, Panchos is good also.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-08-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
Lizzy.... we wont let you guys go wrong. After 10+ trips to Cabo we've got a pretty solid handle on things. LOL!

Rich is right on about Mi Casa. It gets great reviews and has awesome atmosphere if you can sit down in the lower area. I've had great food there. I've had marginal food there. It was always good, but not always great. We'll probably go there again. It's one of our usual spots. Good margaritas. Their other restaraunt, Peacock's, is amazing. A little higher end, a little more exotic. Really cool, and an awesome setting.

Pancho's is good, too. 500+ tequila's behind the bar. How can you go wrong?

There are a ton of others. Crazy lobster is fun. Villa Serena is absolutely amazing at sunset. Pitahayas is some of the best food I've had in my life. The list goes on.... It really all depends how often you want to get away from Riu and it's all inclusive food.

Did you guys make any reservations at Riu's restaraunts yet? From what I understand, you need to do it or you will be eating at the buffet everynight. My friends tried to make reservations once the were there and got snubbed.

It's going to be awesome..... Can't wait.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-09-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Went to Nuevo Vallarta (sp?) back in college and had no issues, but also didn't feel all that safe. Seeing guys with machine guns on the corners was a little worry some at first, until our taxi driver said that they were there for our safety. Which is good, but things must be real bad when they are on EVERY corner! We took the city bus about 30 minutes away from the resort to have dinner at a 'real' mexican place and that was super sketchy. I didn't want to go, but I was part of a big group.

With that said, I won't be going back to Mexico. When I need to visit a tropical beach I will pay a little bit more and visit Hawaii. No reason to risk it by going out of the country. Mexico isn't that cheap when you stay in the resorts and you don't feel safe leaving the resorts or traveling around at night. And if some ish hits the fan between our two countries while you are down there you may be in trouble.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-09-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
Actually... our trip to Cabo is running us about 1/3 the cost of our trip to Hawaii and we're staying at a much nicer spot in Mexico. Hawaii is beautiful and amazing.. but really pricey.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-09-2010, 6:04 PM Reply   
Having spent time in Mexico and Hawaii, I'll take Mexico every day of the week. I guess I might be biased since I started the thread. I've had a lot great food, stayed in beautiful resorts and met great people. Everyone there is glad to see you. Not like Hawaii where the locals just want to take your money and send you home. Sad to say, but of all the tropical places I've been Hawaii wraps the bottom of the list. I'd prefer to leave the country on vacation.

As for the machine guns... That's something our country should maybe adopt. There's something to be said of criminals being intimidated by police. It's hard to outgun the cops when they're carrying AK's. Our country is one of the few where the cops don't pack heavy heat. Walk around the airports in Europe.

There are certainly parts of Mexico that I don't want to go to, but there are equally as many places in the US that I'd avoid.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-15-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Nice - we are in Cabo in November 18th - 21st. Staying at Casa Darado this time.

Can't wait
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-15-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
Awesome man... Hopefully after we get back I'll have some new restaraurnts for you to try out. Couting the minutes, now. Can't wait. I love Cabo.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-18-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
Go Fishing!!!! I am telling you Cabo is the bomb~!

Josh Temple.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-24-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
And I'm back... Great trip again, as usual.

Rich, thanks for the advice on Mama's Royal. The stuffed french toast was delicious.
Old    ajmac            10-25-2010, 6:03 AM Reply   
Any more advice? This thread is great. I'm going to be in Cabo for my honeymoon November 21. We'll be staying at the Pacifica.

Fishing is definitely a must.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-25-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
AJ, I highly recomend jet skiing. It's really fun out in the cove in front of the boat harbor. Baja's watersports is right there on Medano beach. When you're done riding walk over to Mango Deck. They set up lounge chairs during the day. The people watching is awesome. 1/2 hour on the ski's is plenty.

Fishing is great. We didn't go this time, but we've gone in the past. It all depends what you want out of it. If you're going just for the experience, then cool. If you're going for the fish, it can be expensive. We've got a ton of Dorado and a few sword fish down there. They were both fun to go after. We took a Panga out for the Dorado (small wood boat, probably 18' long with an outboard) and a 32' fishing boat out for the swordfish. It's hot and it's a long boat ride. I'm just trying to warn you that a lot of people glorify it. If you've fished before and love it, then do it. If you haven't and you want the experience, then go for it. If you haven't, and you think it's going to be a nice little outing, then you may want to think hard about it. Ha, ha. IMO, the Panga was more fun.

Mi Casa is still one of my favorites. Had another amazing meal there. Baja Cantina delivered again, too. Defeintely take your new wife to Villa Serena and hit it at sunset. It's georgous. Also, if you're into boats (yachts), then make sure to walk the Marina. There are always some amazing boats moored there. If you're looking to meet some people to hang out with and you like to party, then don't miss the Jungle Cruise. We always have a blast and usually meet people that we end up hanging out with for the rest of the week.

If I think of more, I'll post it. Have fun.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-25-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
Glad you made it out of the warzone ok lol
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-25-2010, 10:07 PM Reply   
Baja Cantina... try the Baja Carne Asada.. do it.. do it now.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-25-2010, 10:11 PM Reply   
Granted further into the country is not necessarily where most of the violence is happening, i dont feel it is worth the risk. definitely DO NOT DRIVE, boarders are the worst and i cannot tell you how many stories ive heard of less than fortunate encounters along the road to rocky point (which the exact same people told me was "safe" before their trip)

any of you guys see what happened in juarez the other day? 15 killed, 20 injured, at a kids birthday party. including women and children. I wouldnt want to be in the country allowing that too happen....because obviously they arent in control, what makes you think they would be in control of any other part??
Old    ajmac            10-26-2010, 5:44 AM Reply   
Thanks Evan, I'm now making a list of things to check out. I'll have to talk the fishing over with the lady, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be down for anything more than like a 4 hour trip. haha. I can't wait!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-26-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
Yeah man... It'll be 4 hours without a doubt. Need I mention that I got sea-sick on the Panga and that everyone, but two of us got sea-sick on the bigger boat. Take some Dramamine or motion-sickness pills before you go out. It'll make for a much better experience. Ha, ha, ha.

I almost forgot about the Crazy lobster. It's on the same street as Dolce (good italian), Mama's Royal (killer breakfast as previously mentioned) and a couple other good spots. Prices actually went down this year. $13 steak and lobster. It's an absolute can't miss. Buy your waiter shots of tequila. They're 8 pesos (about $.80). The food is amazing for the price.

If you like Mojitos and Cigars then there's a shop that used to be called Hemmingway's. It moved, but I think you could still ask for Hemmingways to find it. They do high end tequila tasting and have the best prices I could find on Cuban cigars. Their Mojitos are awesome, too. Stop there, then walk the Marina with a cigar and mojito. It makes for a good time. Stop at Nowhere bar on the way back. Make sure it's after 10pm by the time you get there. Oh... FWIW, there is a yogurt shop on the same street. The girls were pretty pumped about that. Kind of a side street down by Giggling Marlin. I can't remember the name of the road. Just go walk around during the day. There's about a 4 block radius where most of the cool shops/resteraunts are.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-01-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
Evan - long time no chat, hope all is well, wish I would have seen this thread earlier.

Board - I have been going to Cabo San Lucas for 10 + years now and while it's not nearly as cheap as it used to be we always manage to find great deals. We have been using these vouchers for several years now and they rock... 35% off listed prices to restaurants, bars, water sports, tours, etc. If you don't use them all, simply return them for a full refund

http://www.loscabosguide.com/discount.htm
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-01-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
arron, you ever use the vouchers for hotel stays? How does that work? can you book directly using vouchers? Or would you have to call hotel directly to use them?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-01-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
Aaron.. Wussup brotha? All's well. Hopefully I'll see you one of these days.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-01-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
I didn't find Cabo to be cheap at all.. I actually found it to be pretty pricey. Although, one of the best meals I had was at Taco Loco (an outdoor taco stand) and it was 12 dollars for the two of us. Not bad. That being said, dinner for two at Baja Cantina with one drink each was 115 dollars. Yowza! Worth it though.. eating on the sand overlooking the beach is pretty amazing and the food was delicious.

I also was taken aback by the cost of a taxi. Through our resort, the ride downtown was 12 dollars each way and was maybe 3 miles. Ouch.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-04-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
Adam - Never used them for hotels but we've used em for tours, activities and primarily restaurants... I bought roughly 800.00 in vouchers for my last trip, we had a group of 7, i think we used about 650-700 and then returned the rest. The cool thing is they can be applied towards alcohol too which became very helpful as I tend to get really thirsty The tripadvisor boards have a HUGE Cabo following so I recommend it to review before your trip.

Evan - What It Is, same ol same ol - spending lots of time with my son & have another on the way.

Lizzy - Not nearly as cheap as it used to be & other parts of Mexico. Cabo is where the "desert meats the sea" so everything has to be trucked/boated in which I imagine adds to the cost but I miss the old days....
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-04-2010, 2:58 PM Reply   
Definitely understandable. Again, the food I had outside the resort was delicious.. so no complaints.. just don't go to Cabo expecting things to be cheaper because it's Mexico.

There were a lot of pluses and minuses to Mexico. I don't think I'd go back anytime soon.. but someday definitely. Next time I think we'd try Cancun.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       11-05-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
I am done with Mexico I think. I heard on the news this morning that 6 Americans have been murdered in Mexico in the last five days including a couple UT-El Paso students. My trips to Cancun have been nice but if you get off the beaten path there are people living in cardboard boxes. You can't even go to Falcon Lake anymore because the Mexicans have gun boats killing people on the lake.... If you were to ever run into any trouble in Mexico you'd be royally screwed since the cops are ridiculously corrupt. Better bring your checkbook if you want your kid, wife, or girlfriend back!! There are much better options IMO. I used to go to border towns during spring break but there is zero chance I'd do that now. Sure, there are nasty hoods in the USA but I can carry a gun legally in most of them here in TX and blast the hell out of any thugs if needed.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-05-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
Yeah, Mark Kilroy was an aquaintance of mine. He was the first national news story of an abduction\murder that started the whole "Mexico isnt safe" mantra back 20+ years ago. It is not safe. Just because the risk is not always apparent does not mean it isnt there. Sure, there are risky places in the US, but at least there is an attempt at safety, and more important there is an infrastructure to appeal to. If youve ever been to Mexico and gone out in public, you have been targeted. Fortunately, they passed on you. The thing about Mark, is that the government over there didnt care, and Mark's dad drove down alone and looked for him for a month. It wasnt until the media blew the lid off of it after a tip, that the mex govt offered help.

You are really on your own over there and if something does happen, it will be up to your family to go looking for you. At that point you are putting them in the same risk that got you in trouble.