Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (zking)      Join Date: Jan 2016       02-07-2016, 1:23 PM Reply   
I found a pretty good deal on a 2011 wake setter but my lake does not allow ballasts or wake enhancing devices (as discussed in a previous thread). If I were to purchase this Wakesetter would it be possible to remove the ballasts? Are they bags or built in? Thanks.
Old     (g-mantrix)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-07-2016, 5:55 PM Reply   
Why remove? Simply don't fill ballast, you never know where else you might want them
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-07-2016, 6:12 PM Reply   
It's all sub floor, rear tanks will be easiest but still not easy. Front tank can be removed but you will have to put in seat supports. I don't think you can get the center tank out though. Wedge should be able to be removed. If I were in your situation I would move. Maybe buy an older 200-2005 malibu sun setter that doesn't come with ballast and sell it and upgrade once you can get out of that situation. I wouldn't buy a newer boat and devalue it like you're thinking of doing.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       02-08-2016, 5:49 AM Reply   
If they are sub floor and you can't tell by looking at the pictures of the boat then DNR (or whoever polices) probably won't know that they are there either. What all is involved with the inspections?

Agreed with T_A on devaluing the boat. If you pull at the tanks then you're gonna have a hell of a time selling it.
Old     (Sivs1)      Join Date: Nov 2015       02-08-2016, 5:53 AM Reply   
My 2006 LSV is all bags and can easily be removed. It's a v drive and would still be a decent wake with people on board. My new to me SA450 has lead in it in addition to the ballast tanks and bags. LSV is for sale, but hopefully sold this week.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-08-2016, 12:22 PM Reply   
I had a 2006 LSV.. everything was under screwed-down floorboards. Are they going to take your boat apart for the inspection?
Old     (jstenger)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-08-2016, 3:41 PM Reply   
Just cut the wires and take out the fill pumps. Fill the holes with brass plugs. Two in the engine compartment and two in the center of the boat. Don't worry about the empty pumps. They are buried under the floor. Tell the DNR no pumps, no way to fill the ballast. When you move or sell, easy to put back in.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-08-2016, 4:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstenger View Post
Just cut the wires and take out the fill pumps. Fill the holes with brass plugs. Two in the engine compartment and two in the center of the boat. Don't worry about the empty pumps. They are buried under the floor. Tell the DNR no pumps, no way to fill the ballast. When you move or sell, easy to put back in.
Yes do this, you shouldn't be able to see any ballast since it below the floor.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-09-2016, 2:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A View Post
Yes do this, you shouldn't be able to see any ballast since it below the floor.
Sounds good but what about removing the fuses under the dash and having the person inspecting just hit the mux switches. "See... Everything is disabled".

In Lake Oswego Oregon they put branded tags on the closed ball valves. If removed you have to pay a fee.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-09-2016, 3:18 PM Reply   
You guys need to get more creative. Pull up some floor boards, drill another through hole and hide a switch with a reversible pump? Leave the existing tags on the valves
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       02-09-2016, 5:42 PM Reply   
Or just follow the rules so even more don't get imposed in the future.........
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-09-2016, 7:04 PM Reply   
You must kneeboard