Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       10-18-2015, 8:02 AM Reply   
I'm done for the season and am getting ready to wrap up the boat for storage.
I think about getting it wrapped every year, but It's a one and done kind of deal so I never end up doing it. The boat doesn't fit in my garage and I'm too worried about the stereo/accessories to leave it at a storage facility. Plus I'm a cheapskate.
So has anyone used these canopies? I live in california so I'm not much worried about cold, it rarely gets below 50*. So I was thinking with my sharkskin cover and one of these fully Enclosed canopies I should do alright, except for the fact of the tower, which is really the reason I'm making this thread. I do not want the tower folded down resting on the seat all off season. What do you guys come up with to solve that problem.

Caravan Canopy Side Wall Kit for Domain Carport, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032UY0CO..._Bs7iwb9MDPMHQ
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-18-2015, 11:27 AM Reply   
I have the one from costco. It was too small to fit my boat under with the tower up so I added some 3 ft legs out of conduit and it works perfect! Costcos is made of thin guage metal. Alot are made of pvc. Mine was 179 i think and best part is every year I return it and get a brand spankin new one. They arnt the nicest but it keeps your boat out of the elements.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       10-18-2015, 1:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp513 View Post
I have the one from costco. It was too small to fit my boat under with the tower up so I added some 3 ft legs out of conduit and it works perfect! Costcos is made of thin guage metal. Alot are made of pvc. Mine was 179 i think and best part is every year I return it and get a brand spankin new one. They arnt the nicest but it keeps your boat out of the elements.
Nice!! Sounds like a plan then
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-18-2015, 5:40 PM Reply   
if its just for winter just fold your tower down and you dont even have to add the legs! I have been looking into getting one of those metal carports. They arnt crazy expensive and would definately hold up better.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-19-2015, 8:47 AM Reply   
I plan on getting one of these for my house once I get a concrete strip added to the side of my driveway. When I inquired a couple months back a 12'x24' that was 10' was $ 1900.00 CDN. Pretty good price in my opinion. It will be boat shelter in the spring/summer and a place for my truck to park in the off season.

http://www.alansfactoryoutlet.com/carports
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       10-19-2015, 8:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
if its just for winter just fold your tower down and you dont even have to add the legs! I have been looking into getting one of those metal carports. They arnt crazy expensive and would definately hold up better.
If I had the space I'd just throw in a nice seperate garage. But I still need to fit a 2 post lift and be able to get a truck back to the lift. So this style canopy will work perfect for the time being. I have been trying to fight the county to get access off of the road to build a garage on the other side of my lot that would be perfect for it, but if they don't allow street access it's useless.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-19-2015, 11:34 AM Reply   
I have used those portable tent garages and you'll be lucky if the tarp material lasts 2 years. The UV rays just kill them. They're better than nothing I suppose.

Last winter we got one of those metal carports. they are AWESOME. I did mine with 1/2 sidewalls from the top. Mine is way bigger than I'd ever need, but who cares. I made it super tall too. Never have to fold the tower. In hindsight I shoulda made it not as tall (didn't need to max out the height). but it's fine.

Mine is on the back/side of my house. I back through the double gates on my RV parking and put the boat all the way into the back yard under the carport every time. It's so awesome to back the boat in, plug in the chargers to the batteries, and hang up all the neoprene on the tower and open up the rear lockers to air out. In the back yard it's all out of sight and the carport protects from both rain and sun. I even got a couple of 4' LED shop lights that are mounted on the roof trusses above the boat. It's fantastic to have a dry, covered place to work on the boat.

It's technically not a "permanent" structure so you might be able to get around a lot of the restrictions you'd have trying to build a garage.
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-19-2015, 9:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
I have used those portable tent garages and you'll be lucky if the tarp material lasts 2 years. The UV rays just kill them. They're better than nothing I suppose.

Last winter we got one of those metal carports. they are AWESOME. I did mine with 1/2 sidewalls from the top. Mine is way bigger than I'd ever need, but who cares. I made it super tall too. Never have to fold the tower. In hindsight I shoulda made it not as tall (didn't need to max out the height). but it's fine.

Mine is on the back/side of my house. I back through the double gates on my RV parking and put the boat all the way into the back yard under the carport every time. It's so awesome to back the boat in, plug in the chargers to the batteries, and hang up all the neoprene on the tower and open up the rear lockers to air out. In the back yard it's all out of sight and the carport protects from both rain and sun. I even got a couple of 4' LED shop lights that are mounted on the roof trusses above the boat. It's fantastic to have a dry, covered place to work on the boat.

It's technically not a "permanent" structure so you might be able to get around a lot of the restrictions you'd have trying to build a garage.
once my sanger sells and i get my new axis I am gonna buy a 3 sided carport. maybe even get one with the roll up door if i wanna get crazy!
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-18-2016, 7:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
once my sanger sells and i get my new axis I am gonna buy a 3 sided carport. maybe even get one with the roll up door if i wanna get crazy!
Once my sanger sells I'm going to enjoy not storing a boat 😂😂
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-19-2016, 2:59 PM Reply   
lol mine sold a couple weeks ago but i may have already upgraded haha
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-19-2016, 3:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
lol mine sold a couple weeks ago but i may have already upgraded haha
I threw mine up at the end of the season for a bit. I got fed up with people wanting a boat for free because of the water situation lol.

Just threw it back up and have someone coming to look at it today. What did you get out of yours