Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-01-2011, 7:09 PM Reply   
So I had this opportunity to take a vacation to a small somewhat secretive river in Mexico below California. This place is beautiful and the most perfect wakeboarding area in the world! Butter all day!

I want to thank Jeff Minderhout and the rest of his family for bringing me out. I had the best time of my life! i definitely cant wait to retire here someday.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-01-2011, 7:26 PM Reply   
Looks nice. I wont go near the place with all the killings going on down there.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-01-2011, 7:52 PM Reply   
Not so secretive since you are posting it on here. I personally don't care, but I know a few people that would not be happy to see your post title "wakeboard MECCA". I agree it a great place and enjoyed the video. I give it a day before its removed.

Last edited by Shooter; 11-01-2011 at 7:59 PM.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-01-2011, 8:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Not so secretive since you are posting it on here. I personally don't care, but I know a few people that would not be happy to see your post title "wakeboard MECCA". I agree it a great place and enjoyed the video. I give it a day before its removed.
i figured mexico is a very broad area and the place would be difficult to find without a city or river name, and i dont see what is wrong with the title, because it seems like the ideal perfect wakeboarding spot to me
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-01-2011, 8:39 PM Reply   
Nah man, your spot is screwed. I hacked a military satellite and cross-referenced the sun angle and mountain silhouettes to find out exactly where that is. Now I'm messaging all 98 of my facebook friends and telling them to go there and shred the constant butter. Its going to be super rough and busy from now on.
Looks like an absolutely beautiful spot, amazing mountains and conditions look perfect. Sick riding from you as always.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-01-2011, 8:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Nah man, your spot is screwed. I hacked a military satellite and cross-referenced the sun angle and mountain silhouettes to find out exactly where that is. Now I'm messaging all 98 of my facebook friends and telling them to go there and shred the constant butter. Its going to be super rough and busy from now on.
Looks like an absolutely beautiful spot, amazing mountains and conditions look perfect. Sick riding from you as always.
haha you cracked me up. thanks alot
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-01-2011, 10:17 PM Reply   
Ya, that edit was pretty sick and that location looks world class.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-02-2011, 6:27 AM Reply   
Beautiful place, but I'm with Sparky. There's no way I'd step foot accross that border.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're serious or what. I don't see a problem with the title "wakeboard mecca", or the thread in general.

Killer riding and edit.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-02-2011, 6:50 AM Reply   
lol one could just google "mexico wakeboard river" and get your "other" video which has the name of the river in the title as the #1 result.... not THAT big of a secret, eh?
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-02-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
Its funny how people are complaining about the murders. In the US, there are roughly 17,000 murders a year, of which about 15,000 are committed with firearms. By contrast, Britain, Australia and Canada combined see fewer than 350 gun-related murders each year. I just thought I'd throw some numbers out.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-02-2011, 10:56 AM Reply   
Yeah isn't that the place that the owner of this very website has a house? Wasn't it pretty well chronicled in the film Global Warning? Didn't we see lots of images when they had that earthquake a couple years back? Maybe its just a CA wakeboarder thing, but that place is certainly no secret.

That being said, place still looks great and the riding was awesome, good work!
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-02-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
Yeah that edit was sick bro! I don't know why everyone is hating on this.. I think a few people missed the key words, "somewhat secretive."
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-02-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
Cool vid and riding spot, thanks for posting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Its funny how people are complaining about the murders. In the US, there are roughly 17,000 murders a year, of which about 15,000 are committed with firearms. By contrast, Britain, Australia and Canada combined see fewer than 350 gun-related murders each year. I just thought I'd throw some numbers out.
And maybe 1 a year here in NZ......we prefer to run peeps over with our cars
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-02-2011, 2:10 PM Reply   
That River is dope. I had a chance to go there one or two months back for Labor Day. Its wild to see all the 10 year olds riding around on jet skis by themselves and all the nice boats that people actually leave down there. One drawback of the whole spot is that the River has sulfur in it due to the earthquake from a couple years back. Therefore the whole place kind of has a gnarly smell to it. There's also a local bar that has some bomb almond tequila.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-02-2011, 5:36 PM Reply   
i cant believe its not butter!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-02-2011, 7:49 PM Reply   
10 year olds running around on jet ski's? Yikes. No thanks.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-02-2011, 8:39 PM Reply   
Isn't that the river that Kyle Murphy lives on, the Brazos maybe? I used to love watching the parts filmed on that river. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a fairly new red bull shoot with adam and jd (new as in a couple years) and the first thing they did was buy a bunch of illegal fireworks that were basically sticks of dynamite lol?. I'm retarded, it was a WAKEWORLD shoot with THE GHOST!! I'm going to find the link and post it in a minute. On a side note, I don't think I would want to drive into Mexico with a sick truck towing a $80k wakeboard boat behind it.

Broc, when Dave posted the video, the one thing that stood out was the MONSTER sulfur colored wake lol. My buddy has a lake house in gainesville and there is a secret hidden lake surrounded by cypress trees. There is one key hole in what seems to be the shoreline made of cypress trees except it is actually about 150 yards in about a foot of water so that you have no choice but to walk it, and it just opens into this perfect untouched sheet of glass with this dr pepper red/maroon water about the length of OWC's boat lake but double the width. You can't see past your hands and if you have any white in your board shorts or vest, you no longer will after you take a set. Because the water is denser than normal, the wake turns into a RED MONSTER that is as firm as a kicker (almost). Does the sulfur do this to the river? ie makes the wake bigger and much denser? Basically, every hit is as consistent as hitting a kicker and it pops you in a really similar fashion (completely consistent but unforgiving if you back off your edge). It is the only time I have enjoyed riding a continuous rocker board because you can edge as hard as you want, get the pop of a three stage, but the control and landing of a continuous. With that said, not riding a 3-stage on it almost takes the point of going out of your way to ride it. Each hit is like popping off of a perfect double up, straight up and straight down, so casing the wake or landing in the flats is basically taking a sledgehammer too your knees because the wake and water are so dense. The only problem (for me) is that this is essentially a completely secluded and unknown piece of water on one of the busiest and biggest lakes I have seen in Florida with some man size gators, and if I were a gator, red lake would be my private gator sanctuary. My friend said that because of all of the sap in the water, there isn't enough oxygen, so there aren't many fish therefore no predators to eat them and to tell you the truth, I've never even seen a bird or a duck on it going for a little snack flip side being they know if they go there, they are serving themselves on a silver platter. I've lived on a lake in FL my entire life so I am used to gators and they don't bother me, but i literally have a reoccurring dream of riding on red lake (just what we call it) and falling, and just seeing hundreds of huge gators stare at me and then all submerge at once and the boat is gone. It's kind of like surfing a perfect wave on it's best day in known shark infested water where people are frequently attacked but you still paddle out. To me, the anxiety of riding there isn't worth riding the perfect wake, unless it's a crowded weekend and you probably are at a greater risk of getting hit by a jetski or a drunk UF kid on a pontoon boat. We use a 210 in there and have to take all the weight out and reweight it when we get in there, and I really don't know if we could fit a bigger boat like an x-star or 230. If so, this would be the ultimate video spot because of the water color, scenery (no houses obviously and just a really unique looking area with all of the cypress trees), perfect glass even if the wind is howling because it is so protected, and 100% guaranteed no intruders (although there is actually one marine patrol guy that knows about the spot and will come watch) so basically a perfect shot at any time of the day.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-02-2011, 9:10 PM Reply   
Totally should have read the posts above me, Rio Harde no idea where i got Brazzos. Running With Scissors was my first time getting to see the river. Definitely a spot i would mind wakeboard but wouldn't run down there too actually do it. And comparing the murders isn't really fair because once you cross the boarder into a place like Juarez, there is a new murder on every corner. The police are corrupt, the military are corrupt, the ambulance drivers are corrupt, all funded by the good ole US of A. I was in Acapulco for spring break probably 5 years ago, there was a kid walking back from the main night club (I think called the Palladium if anyone is familiar with Acapulco) and he was hit by a car. Instead of the ambulance taking him to the hospital, they picked him up, beat him within an inch of his life, stole everything down to his shoes, and threw him back on the side of the road. The story was that the club was owned by the main drug lord. Probably the craziest party I have ever been too, but once was enough. The place was completely secluded from the city about 5 miles up the coast on the mountain. Walking back from there with no sidewalks and by yourself is pretty much a guaranteed Darwin award. Luckily he lived and was flown back home by the spring break company the next morning. The next day the spring break company employees knocked door to door telling us what happened, and to never walk home alone or walk home period, and they setup bus shuttles from then on too and from wherever they were throwing the party which was pretty sick. I felt pretty safe except for the cab ride to go see the cliff divers. I was positive we were getting kidnapped during that drive, probably 30 minutes through all of the little ghettos because we opted for the fast route vs the scenic route (even though this was the true scenic route). Those cliff divers were incredible though. I was more impressed with how easily the swam in the current over the dives. That and climbing back up the rocks with wet feet.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-03-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
That Chick who did the BS 180 Ollie should have gotten owned! hahahahah Or should I say that chick that did the BS 90 to 90 hold your breath butter should have gotten owned.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-03-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
wasnt that river in an episode of pull?
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-03-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
I was waiting for her to get worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
That Chick who did the BS 180 Ollie should have gotten owned! hahahahah Or should I say that chick that did the BS 90 to 90 hold your breath butter should have gotten owned.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-03-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
Sick spot, and sick riding as always JB
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-03-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
I dont know if the Sulfur made the wake more dense but it did make everything smell like rotten eggs at first until you get used to it. Also the water is only about 8 feet deep so wakes cant fully reach their prime. There are tiny fish that will nibble on you if you stay in one spot too long. I don't think anyone I talked to towed their boat down but instead kept it there. My friend has a SAN 210 that he keeps down there. I was surprised to see a majority of expensive wake boats on a little Delta type river in Mehico. I am actually leaving to go down there tomorrow with my team from ASU. It should be a good time to say the least.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-03-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
Simple I do remember seeing it on Pull as well
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-03-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I was waiting for her to get worked!
If that was me my head and neck would be sore for a month.
Old     (gracenface)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-04-2011, 1:17 PM Reply   
this video is sooo sikk, nice work friend
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-05-2011, 2:40 AM Reply   
Yeah, it was behind Dave's boat. That's too bad to hear that it is only 8 feet deep. That will get most of the size out of the wake but definitely not all of it.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       11-06-2011, 5:59 AM Reply   
J.B. the slow motion sections are so crisp and clear are you using professional editing software and in HD?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-06-2011, 7:54 AM Reply   
I'd love to ride there. Great video J.B !
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-07-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Man that was a WELL DONE vid. Love bikini's one boards. My wife wears one instead of shorts and man I love it!! Jet
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-08-2011, 7:24 AM Reply   
Great video, what camera are you using?
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-08-2011, 7:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanger View Post
J.B. the slow motion sections are so crisp and clear are you using professional editing software and in HD?
thanks dude! and yea i have final cut pro 7 which is nice and i have downloaded a few attachemants for it to make things look a little better. and yea i shoot in HD i wish i could afford a better camera but i spend a bit of time color correcting to make it look almost equivalent to the guys spending the big bucks. i also would use vimeo to make it a little clearer for yall but i cant pass up youtube because its free and the viewcount is much higher.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       11-08-2011, 9:09 AM Reply   
Tks JB. What ever you're doing works because the picture quality looks great.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-08-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=296515340367066

Might as well post our vid from mehico this past weekend in this same thread
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-08-2011, 8:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschall View Post
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=296515340367066

Might as well post our vid from mehico this past weekend in this same thread
I saw this video posted on the wake devils page(as I'm from the area and liked the page) nice edit! Really enjoyed the diggers in the end too
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-09-2011, 10:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_B View Post
Great video, what camera are you using?
thnks im using a canon t3i
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-09-2011, 10:44 AM Reply   
That is a sweet video! I think thats the same area AKI used to go to and post pics from.